DPF regeneration symbol cropped up today... - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DPF regeneration symbol cropped up today...

Thought I was seeing things when the ice warning symbol changed to something which looked like a gust of wind, perplexed parked up and turned the car on and off "keep driving DPF regeneration" message popped up, never had this in my previous cars, but have read horror stories about putting it right.

Over the xmas period i've done an absolute swathe of short journeys, its been very cold which further means the car not getting anywhere close to temp, and to top if off i'm driving round on a tyre which is held up by a fragment of sealant as the tyre repair place washed the rest out and couldn't find the hole (new £120 tyre getting fitted this weekend GRRRRR see my other thread) so i've not gone above 50mph in a while.

Had a quick read on DPFs and the advice on 2500 revs, for 20 mins on motorway, so put her in 4th gear and went for a 20 minute drive out on a quiet festive motorway, after 15 mins light went out, turned around at next junction and drove home in 4th gear for good measure.

That seemed easy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Yellow symbol for those that havn't seen it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bc058813-e257-4953-b038-c5f724e313e9.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	55529  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Alternated with the yellow ice symbol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0370e5fe-0c7c-4345-b789-2a79b6d6ccfa.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	55537  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:48 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Thanks Toprock. Very nice. Glad it resolved.
Wife just got a job less than a mile from home. She may be seeing this soon as well. Now I can fix it and come out the hero.

Jon
2015 white Sport manual, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JFS; 12-29-2016 at 02:51 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Interesting... learned something new.

Found this:

"Diesel particulate filters are intended to reduce soot emissions by as much as 80%. When the filter fails, the DPF (diesel particulate filter) light will come on. It indicates a partial blockage in the filter. So, what is the deal with DPFs? Read on to learn more about them.

You have to empty your DPF regularly in order to have optimum performance.

In order to empty your DPF, you have to burn off the collected soot.

Soot is burned off at a high temperature by driving at a speed of more than 40 miles per hour for approximately ten minutes.

When the soot is being burned off, you may notice that you get a hot smell from your exhaust, your idle speed is higher, and your fuel consumption is greater.

If the soot is not burned off, you will notice a deterioration in your oil quality. You have to make sure that your oil level does not rise above the maximum dipstick level, because if it does, you could damage your engine.

So, can you drive safely if your DPF light is on? Yes, you can. Probably. You are not likely going to be harmed. Your engine, however, is another thing. If you ignore the DPF light, and you continue to drive in your usual “gas/brake” pattern, you will probably end up seeing other warning lights come on. Then, you will have to see a mechanic for what is called “forced” regeneration. If you fail to do this, then the soot load is just going to keep on increasing.

Finally, your car will stop running properly, and at that point, yes, you will be looking at a safety issue, because you will see decreased performance levels when you are trying to do maneuvers like passing and merging on the highway. This is where “probably” comes in as far as safety is concerned. You will also likely end up incurring very costly repairs.

Never ignore your DPF warning light. You will have little time between the point where the DPF is minimally blocked, and the point where manual regeneration is the only solution. And if you fail to have the manual regeneration done, it is very possible that you will need a new engine."

Last edited by mgregory; 12-29-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

"Never ignore your DPF warning light. You will have little time between the point where the DPF is minimally blocked, and the point where manual regeneration is the only solution. And if you fail to have the manual regeneration done, it is very possible that you will need a new engine."
"

I also read something similar to this, which prompted me to try the clearance last night, as opposed to waiting for new tyre fitting at weekend and being able to clear it at a higher speed. The site I read also seemed to suggest the car injects more fuel when its in the 1st DPF stage and if you don't continue driving this further soots things up, compounding the problem very quickly, leading to the second warning light.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Dam does that mean when I get mine I will have to thrash it every now and again! man lifes a bitch

Last edited by glennuk; 02-10-2017 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page