Tuning the 2.4L Tigershark? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Tuning the 2.4L Tigershark?

I've become accostumed to the 300 HP and 300 lb-ft of torque in the V8 the Jag offers. After the trade-in sometime this week, I'll be driving a Renegade with the 2.4L Tigershark. I was wondering if it is possible to tune this engine for a little more power. I'm not expecting to have sub-6s 0-60 or anything like that. I'd have to do an engine swap.

But at least, I'd like to think 200 HP is achievable with the Tigershark. Is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Garage
Is the engine fitted to other vehicles? If so, are any tuning parts available? Go from there. We didn't get this engine in the UK for our Renegades.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I would look on the Dodge Dart forums, I bet money that at least one person has added intake, exhaust, and possible ECU.

I have seen some ridiculous mods done on youtube to our 1.4L Turbo, (blow-off valve, Intake, Muffler delete, and abarth tuned piggy back ECU, that made their Jeep run like a stuck pig.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 PM
TWX

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
There's a catback exhaust. No idea if it actually helps or just sounds different.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone comes up with a header. The exhaust on the TH, coming forward out of the head and curving down, is a lot like the exhaust in my wife's '01 Integra, which also comes forward and then curves down. It would probably be pretty easy to build a header.

Maybe you should approach an exhaust header manufacturer like Tube Technologies Inc. TTI has made Mopar-only headers for a long time now and I've worked with their products on several vehicles, both older RWD stuff and more current FWD. They could probably make a nice shorty setup that would drop in.

TWX
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk - Solar Yellow
2001 Acura Integra LS
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
1995 Nissan Hardbody King Cab
1982 Dodge D350 Crew Cab
1978 Chrysler Cordoba
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright, it's just a thought.

I read on the dart forums about supercharging the tigershark (or was it turbocharging). But they say it requires some work. From what I've read, extracting any real power requires cams, etc.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Well the 2.4 only has one cam. The ECU controls lift, duration, and timing on the intake side and the exhaust is fixed to the lobes.

Unless someone does tuning to the ECU, there isn't much hope for the 2.4.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 10:15 PM

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Exhaust work should free up some power. Getting it to flow as freely as possible is key. Given that most states have emissions laws/restrictions you'll most likely have to have some sort of muffler (a glass pack would be your best bet unless you find/make a cover that looks like a muffler ala first year Abarths in the US).

From experience, intakes alone don't do much unless you're running a turbo/super. On a naturally asperated motor, you'll get a nice intake growl. If you have a sort of ram air set up, there will be some noticable power/torque increases. I have worked with a few NA vehicles that have a sort of "hidden" ram air/cold air function (secondary tubing that feeds from the bottom of the car up to the airbox aside from the main opening). A short ram with a shield worked well with those vehicles given that relativity cool air was availble from two directions. You can also have the trottle body ported for better throttle response.

I'm not entirely sure how the 2.4s are set up on the Renegades Vs the Dart. There are some differences between the 1.4 Renegades Vs Abarths and Darts (when I say this, I mean where the airbox sits and other piping).

Not a lot of bolt on mods available for the 2.4 from what I remember but even with them, they're nothing compared to / without an ECU tune. Madness, Modern Performance, etc. may be able to help.

2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 Sierra "Smurf" Blue
1.4 MultiAir Turbo

2013 Fiat 500 Abarth
2008 Chevrolet Cobalt SS
1962 Ford Falcon
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:24 PM
PNW

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
Alright, it's just a thought.

I read on the dart forums about supercharging the tigershark (or was it turbocharging). But they say it requires some work. From what I've read, extracting any real power requires cams, etc.
That can be said about almost any platform, if you want to do it correctly and reliably, it's going to cost a chunk of change. Changing a car from N/A to F/I usually requires a ton of work, not just bolting a few parts on.

2015 Renegade Trailhawk
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 PM
PNW

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
I've become accostumed to the 300 HP and 300 lb-ft of torque in the V8 the Jag offers. After the trade-in sometime this week, I'll be driving a Renegade with the 2.4L Tigershark. I was wondering if it is possible to tune this engine for a little more power. I'm not expecting to have sub-6s 0-60 or anything like that. I'd have to do an engine swap.

But at least, I'd like to think 200 HP is achievable with the Tigershark. Is it?
Since speed seems to be a main concern for you, I'd shop around for other vehicles. I'm happy with the power of my Renegade, but it's not fast and it's not exactly an engaging driver's car. I suppose with a stick, it could be a little more fun but then you don't get the 2.4 and it still won't be a fast vehicle.

2015 Renegade Trailhawk

Last edited by PNW; 04-25-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Typo
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Speed isn't a priority for me at all. Eventually I'll buy something sporty for that purpose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page