Installed the Madness Maxpower ECU - Jeep Renegade Forum
 38Likes

post #1 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Installed the Madness Maxpower ECU

So, after a couple weeks of deliberation, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Madness Autoworks Maxpower ECU (with Bluetooth). It came a day early, so today I suddenly started feeling "sick" and needed to leave work immediately.

Installation was surprisingly easy. A LOT easier than our Abarth brethren. The only thing that needed to be removed was the plastic engine cover (to get to all the sensors), and the battery (to get to the cam sensor). It literally took me less than an hour. Here are a few pics of where the harness connects:

Overview

MAF Sensor

Boost Sensor

Cam Sensor (Must remove battery to get to. A bit of a PITA)

Brain location

And here's the bluetooth app. Nothing fancy, very straightforward. You can adjust from 3 levels, Eco, Sport and Sport+. You can also set the timer that keeps you stock until the vehicle has had time to warm up. (Im using an old iPhone, but it works fine with my Android Moto X phone as well)

Now, how much difference does it make you might ask?? A FRIGGIN LOT. I only had a chance to do about a 30 minute test run, but I'm absolutely sold. The Jeep is MUCH more responsive through all gears and pulls a lot harder vs stock. (And this was just in normal Sport mode) In fact during a couple WOT runs in first gear, once the snail spooled, I had a hard time maintaining traction. TCS intervened one time. I used to have an Eclipse with exhaust, intake and a few smaller mods, running 15psi on a 14G and this I'd say this pulls 90% as hard. So much fun.

Also no CEL, no adverse effects (other than it gulping a bar of gas while I was romping on it ). It did smell a bit hotter once I got done, but that's to be expected. Temps never left midway on the temp gauge.

Now take this with a grain of salt, but here's a quick shot of the Ultragauge during a 3rd gear, 3/4 throttle run:

Note the HP1 and TRQ numbers. That's 194hp and 194ft/lb of torque. On earlier runs, I saw the HP hit 201 and the tq hit 204. Again, this is just an estimate from the Ultragauge's brain and shouldn't be taken as a full on accurate representation. But it sure FEELS like it's flirting with 200hp.

And here's just a quick shot of where I decided to mount the Ultragauge

All-in-all, (as you can tell), I am QUITE pleased with this ECU. I was on the fence about which ECU to buy (Madness or the RRE) and after doing a little research, I decided on the Madness for the features it offered. Plus Eric (And later John when I ordered the DV+) was amazing. He answered my 500,000 questions and was very patient with me. If I had it to do all over again, would I have bought the same one? Not sure I'd have sprung for the Bluetooth version, as it's pretty spartan. But I in no way have buyers remorse.

I also ordered a GFB DV+ Diverter Valve which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to see what THIS adds to the equation.

If anyone has ANY questions, feel free to ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Commando Jeep Renegade Sport 1.4 Turbo 2WD
Madness Maxpower ECU
Go Fast Bits DV+

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ODGreenFifteen; 04-28-2016 at 06:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:58 PM

First Name: Colin
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Nice keep us updated here I am sure I am not the only one that would like to know more
ODGreenFifteen likes this.
post #3 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
You rock. Gosh i hope your ultragage is correct. If so i am scoring the basic model with a straight piped exhaust. So the big question i have is how is the wonky 1st to 2nd shift now the car is pushing the power differently? Does the switch to 2nd now able to deliver a more linear power delivery than stock? This is one area on the 1.4L that i find i have issues smoothly entering into and always thought a bit more punch would solve this.

Also i think the engine looks good with no cover. Thanks for posting up.
Rick and ODGreenFifteen like this.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto

post #4 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
So I have been looking at doing something like this ever since I bought my Renegade. However I noticed that Madness has like 4 different modules for the Renegade, what made you decide to pick this over the others? I also saw is another renegade owner that actually put a video together using the V2 ECU by madness. I just curious what if anything is different about them, since they are all priced the same with the exception of the bluetooth. And do you have any data on that ultra gauge? like where you bought it, feedback? Also you should enjoy the DV, I have heard good things from the Dart and Fiat guys. I was looking at getting the blow off plate as well!
post #5 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepetto View Post
You rock. Gosh i hope your ultragage is correct. If so i am scoring the basic model with a straight piped exhaust. So the big question i have is how is the wonky 1st to 2nd shift now the car is pushing the power differently? Does the switch to 2nd now able to deliver a more linear power delivery than stock? This is one area on the 1.4L that i find i have issues smoothly entering into and always thought a bit more punch would solve this.

Also i think the engine looks good with no cover. Thanks for posting up.
Do eeet!! You know you want to!!

Now, about the 1st to 2nd smoothness. I will say, it has smoothed out a bit. Feels like a little more torque down low. But! Now that the ECU is pushing more boost, the power comes on like lighting in second and third gears. There's really not much subtleness or linearity with a small displacement, boosted engine running 20+ psi. Knowatimean?

This can (and theoretically should) be somewhat mitigated by a stronger diverter valve that holds the boost longer, (like the GFB I have on order). I'll let you know the effects once I get it installed (which should be sometime this weekend).

Also, I tend to agree with you on getting the non Bluetooth version. IF there's a way to adjust the tune with a dial like on the older models. Save the money for something like a diverter valve or ported throttle body (my next mod!). But I do recommend getting the Maxpower version, as it implements a few safety features (and supposedly unlocks even more power) not present on the V2.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Madness Maxpower ECU
Go Fast Bits DV+

post #6 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
So I have been looking at doing something like this ever since I bought my Renegade. However I noticed that Madness has like 4 different modules for the Renegade, what made you decide to pick this over the others? I also saw is another renegade owner that actually put a video together using the V2 ECU by madness. I just curious what if anything is different about them, since they are all priced the same with the exception of the bluetooth. And do you have any data on that ultra gauge? like where you bought it, feedback? Also you should enjoy the DV, I have heard good things from the Dart and Fiat guys. I was looking at getting the blow off plate as well!
I picked the Maxpower over the others because it was the newest generation and has a couple safety features not implemented in the older models. (Time delay, etc). Plus it's supposed to eek a little more power out.

I picked the Ultragauge up last year when i had my Colorado and have nothing but good things to say about it. I believe with our CAN bus, there are over 60 gauges that can be chosen and displayed. I bought it straight from the website for $70.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

Madness Maxpower ECU
Go Fast Bits DV+

post #7 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Thanks OD, as for the information on the ultra gauge, would you recommend the wireless one over the one you have? I like the option of upgrading firmware much easier but then again how often does the firmware change! Also does your gauge have the option to display Trans temp?
post #8 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Can I assume this positive affect on power/handling has a negative impact on gas mileage?
post #9 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ospreyfe55 View Post
Thanks OD, as for the information on the ultra gauge, would you recommend the wireless one over the one you have? I like the option of upgrading firmware much easier but then again how often does the firmware change! Also does your gauge have the option to display Trans temp?
I think it's more a matter of preference. I wanted a dedicated unit that I could just plug in and go; I didn't want to have to mess with apps and tying up my phone. That being said, I suppose one could use an old phone as a dedicated unit.

In reference to your trans temp question, my model does not show trans temp (which is usually proprietary and not communicated via standard obd protocol) . But they do offer units that supposedly DO provide this data. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirenegade View Post
Can I assume this positive affect on power/handling has a negative impact on gas mileage?
Actually, on my 32 mile drive to work this morning, I averaged 30.3 mpg. And that was with a few wot "romps". Now, I'm sure the more you're into the boost, the more gas is going to drink (probably an understatement). But, for everyday driving, I don't foresee a huge change. If anything, maybe a bit BETTER mpg due to a bit better low end torque.

Madness Maxpower ECU
Go Fast Bits DV+

Last edited by ODGreenFifteen; 04-29-2016 at 09:58 AM.
post #10 of 80 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 02:43 PM

Garage
I'll have a few follow up questions, but this is AWESOME! I'm generally happy with how peppy the 1.4L is, but this sounds like a blast! And it would come in handy when I'm towing. I'm really curious what kind of MPG you get through a full tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page