Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Installed the Madness Maxpower ECU

58K views 87 replies 30 participants last post by  MADNESS Autoworks 
#1 · (Edited)
So, after a couple weeks of deliberation, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Madness Autoworks Maxpower ECU (with Bluetooth). It came a day early, so today I suddenly started feeling "sick" and needed to leave work immediately. ;)

Installation was surprisingly easy. A LOT easier than our Abarth brethren. The only thing that needed to be removed was the plastic engine cover (to get to all the sensors), and the battery (to get to the cam sensor). It literally took me less than an hour. Here are a few pics of where the harness connects:

Overview

MAF Sensor

Boost Sensor

Cam Sensor (Must remove battery to get to. A bit of a PITA)

Brain location

And here's the bluetooth app. Nothing fancy, very straightforward. You can adjust from 3 levels, Eco, Sport and Sport+. You can also set the timer that keeps you stock until the vehicle has had time to warm up. (Im using an old iPhone, but it works fine with my Android Moto X phone as well)

Now, how much difference does it make you might ask?? A FRIGGIN LOT. I only had a chance to do about a 30 minute test run, but I'm absolutely sold. The Jeep is MUCH more responsive through all gears and pulls a lot harder vs stock. (And this was just in normal Sport mode) In fact during a couple WOT runs in first gear, once the snail spooled, I had a hard time maintaining traction. TCS intervened one time. :) I used to have an Eclipse with exhaust, intake and a few smaller mods, running 15psi on a 14G and this I'd say this pulls 90% as hard. So much fun. :)

Also no CEL, no adverse effects (other than it gulping a bar of gas while I was romping on it :) ). It did smell a bit hotter once I got done, but that's to be expected. Temps never left midway on the temp gauge.

Now take this with a grain of salt, but here's a quick shot of the Ultragauge during a 3rd gear, 3/4 throttle run:

Note the HP1 and TRQ numbers. That's 194hp and 194ft/lb of torque. On earlier runs, I saw the HP hit 201 and the tq hit 204. Again, this is just an estimate from the Ultragauge's brain and shouldn't be taken as a full on accurate representation. But it sure FEELS like it's flirting with 200hp.

And here's just a quick shot of where I decided to mount the Ultragauge

All-in-all, (as you can tell), I am QUITE pleased with this ECU. I was on the fence about which ECU to buy (Madness or the RRE) and after doing a little research, I decided on the Madness for the features it offered. Plus Eric (And later John when I ordered the DV+) was amazing. He answered my 500,000 questions and was very patient with me. If I had it to do all over again, would I have bought the same one? Not sure I'd have sprung for the Bluetooth version, as it's pretty spartan. But I in no way have buyers remorse.

I also ordered a GFB DV+ Diverter Valve which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to see what THIS adds to the equation. :)

If anyone has ANY questions, feel free to ask. :)

See less See more
#3 ·
You rock. Gosh i hope your ultragage is correct. If so i am scoring the basic model with a straight piped exhaust. So the big question i have is how is the wonky 1st to 2nd shift now the car is pushing the power differently? Does the switch to 2nd now able to deliver a more linear power delivery than stock? This is one area on the 1.4L that i find i have issues smoothly entering into and always thought a bit more punch would solve this.

Also i think the engine looks good with no cover. Thanks for posting up.

#5 ·
Do eeet!! You know you want to!! :)

Now, about the 1st to 2nd smoothness. I will say, it has smoothed out a bit. Feels like a little more torque down low. But! Now that the ECU is pushing more boost, the power comes on like lighting in second and third gears. There's really not much subtleness or linearity with a small displacement, boosted engine running 20+ psi. Knowatimean?

This can (and theoretically should) be somewhat mitigated by a stronger diverter valve that holds the boost longer, (like the GFB I have on order). I'll let you know the effects once I get it installed (which should be sometime this weekend).

Also, I tend to agree with you on getting the non Bluetooth version. IF there's a way to adjust the tune with a dial like on the older models. Save the money for something like a diverter valve or ported throttle body (my next mod!). But I do recommend getting the Maxpower version, as it implements a few safety features (and supposedly unlocks even more power) not present on the V2.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. :)

#4 ·
So I have been looking at doing something like this ever since I bought my Renegade. However I noticed that Madness has like 4 different modules for the Renegade, what made you decide to pick this over the others? I also saw is another renegade owner that actually put a video together using the V2 ECU by madness. I just curious what if anything is different about them, since they are all priced the same with the exception of the bluetooth. And do you have any data on that ultra gauge? like where you bought it, feedback? Also you should enjoy the DV, I have heard good things from the Dart and Fiat guys. I was looking at getting the blow off plate as well!

#6 ·
I picked the Maxpower over the others because it was the newest generation and has a couple safety features not implemented in the older models. (Time delay, etc). Plus it's supposed to eek a little more power out. :)

I picked the Ultragauge up last year when i had my Colorado and have nothing but good things to say about it. I believe with our CAN bus, there are over 60 gauges that can be chosen and displayed. I bought it straight from the website for $70.
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

#7 ·
Thanks OD, as for the information on the ultra gauge, would you recommend the wireless one over the one you have? I like the option of upgrading firmware much easier but then again how often does the firmware change! Also does your gauge have the option to display Trans temp?

#9 · (Edited)
I think it's more a matter of preference. I wanted a dedicated unit that I could just plug in and go; I didn't want to have to mess with apps and tying up my phone. That being said, I suppose one could use an old phone as a dedicated unit.

In reference to your trans temp question, my model does not show trans temp (which is usually proprietary and not communicated via standard obd protocol) . But they do offer units that supposedly DO provide this data. Let me know if you have any other questions. :)

Can I assume this positive affect on power/handling has a negative impact on gas mileage?
Actually, on my 32 mile drive to work this morning, I averaged 30.3 mpg. :) And that was with a few wot "romps". Now, I'm sure the more you're into the boost, the more gas is going to drink (probably an understatement). But, for everyday driving, I don't foresee a huge change. If anything, maybe a bit BETTER mpg due to a bit better low end torque.

#17 ·
I'll have a few follow up questions, but this is AWESOME! I'm generally happy with how peppy the 1.4L is, but this sounds like a blast! And it would come in handy when I'm towing. I'm really curious what kind of MPG you get through a full tank.

Only if you let the new found Power take over you. I found when I have used these ECMs and system flashes, the vehicles get even better gas mileage than stock. Even when using the sport tunes. Again it is hard to not want to gas it when you know its there though.

I am sold I believe the difference for the non-bluetooth is to change the tune, you have to use the quick detach and hook it to a computer. Kind of a pain but I don't plan on switching off of Sport Plus. LOL

Reactions: ODGreenFifteen
#12 ·
I was wondering that as well. I have to call Madness tomorrow, so if I think of it, I'll ask the rep.

Installed the GFB DV+ today. :)

Not feeling a tremendous amount of difference quite yet, but it's my understanding that the ECU might have to "adjust" for the different boost scenario. I'll keep you posted.

#22 · (Edited)
I work in the shop at a Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Fiat/Alfa dealership and we have gobs of these running around, so I decided to grab the keys to one and see how it compares to the Renny:

And you know what? I swear on everything that I love what I'm about to say is the Gods honest truth: The Jeep pulls harder. Like a LOT harder. I'm actually amazed, as I thought with the 500lb weight defect, the Abarth would have the upper hand. But it doesn't. (Now, a MODIFIED Abarth, that would probably be a different story)

I'm not trying to brag or anything of that nature, but with the lighter wheels, the ECU and the DV+, this is one quick little Jeep! :eek:

On a side note, we've had 5 of these come through the shop for prep after they came off the truck and I was able to drive one, and it definitely spanks the Rene :D
(Alfa Romeo 4C)

#26 ·
It only voids your warranty if the dealer can prove said mod is the root cause. If you take the truck in for oil change, the dealer can go jump off a bridge if they try to void your warranty. Honestly even if you blow up your engine which you wont with proper care and maintence. You take the ecm off have jeep towed to dealer and it is still up to them to prove you fiddled with it. Period. Lawyer will happily sue them bc of the fore mentioned Magnuson act.

So forget listening to the nay sayers, i have dealt with this first hand and never had a issue with a good dealer network on modded cars.

Also the madness ecm is very well designed, i would be shocked if this had any negative effects. unless owner is a moron. Aka runs reg unleaded while running plus sport tune, and same moron is 5000 miles behind on oil change. Then yes said morons engine will blow up. But then their warranty would be void based on missed oil change not the tune. See how this really works.

I am selling some sneakers next week and getting the maxpower nonbluetooth.

Reactions: ODGreenFifteen
#29 ·
It only voids your warranty if the dealer can prove said mod is the root cause. If you take the truck in for oil change, the dealer can go jump off a bridge if they try to void your warranty. Honestly even if you blow up your engine which you wont with proper care and maintence. You take the ecm off have jeep towed to dealer and it is still up to them to prove you fiddled with it. Period. Lawyer will happily sue them bc of the fore mentioned Magnuson act.

So forget listening to the nay sayers, i have dealt with this first hand and never had a issue with a good dealer network on modded cars.

That is an internet legend, people have lawyered up and spent a lot of money attempting to do just that and have failed. The car companies have better lawyers, and you won't win if it comes to that. Do a quick search on Audi's TD1 automatic warranty flagging system.

I've been modifying cars for a long time, and some dealers can be cool, but when something big breaks and the manufacturer sends a rep out to ok the work, it doesn't matter how cool your dealership is with mods.

That's great if you want to take the risk of possible warranty denial on a big ticket item, I make that choice also all the time, but I don't delude myself into thinking everything is still covered when it may not be when push comes to shove.

#32 ·
Hi there ODGreenFifteen,

I must say we definitely appreciate such a thorough customer review and we're glad to hear you've been pleased with our MAXPower unit!

My name is Joseph and I'm actually the Sales Manager here at MADNESS Autoworks and although I unfortunately am not on the forums as often as I'd like, seeing a post such as this is a GREAT way to start off the work week!

As you've mentioned in your post our team is ALWAYS here to help in assisting you with questions, placing an order or simply discussing what options would might be the best fit for you. This goes from everything from Floor Liners to Side Steps, we're here to help!

Now besides getting this nice increase in overall HP our most popular selling product is hands down our MADNESS GoPedal. You can think of this like a Sport Button but on steriods. Literally! Not to mention it installs in minutes! Similar to our MAXPower you'll have numerous settings to choose from. For those that want that ALL OUT response you can opt for RACE mode or maybe you're taking a trip across state, well the GoPedal as an ECO mode as well! To top it all off this product also comes with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee we're that confident in this products results! So for those of you that have considered boosting up your performance with a MAXPower unit this is definitely something you want to think about adding into the mix. :)

Again to the OP we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience about not only the product but our staff as well and please know we definitely value your business!

Respectfully,

Joseph
Sales Manager
MADNESS Autoworks

#33 · (Edited)
So, after a couple weeks of deliberation, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered the Madness Autoworks Maxpower ECU (with Bluetooth). It came a day early, so today I suddenly started feeling "sick" and needed to leave work immediately. ;)

Installation was surprisingly easy. A LOT easier than our Abarth brethren. The only thing that needed to be removed was the plastic engine cover (to get to all the sensors), and the battery (to get to the cam sensor). It literally took me less than an hour. Here are a few pics of where the harness connects...

Now, how much difference does it make you might ask?? A FRIGGIN LOT. I only had a chance to do about a 30 minute test run, but I'm absolutely sold. The Jeep is MUCH more responsive through all gears and pulls a lot harder vs stock. (And this was just in normal Sport mode) In fact during a couple WOT runs in first gear, once the snail spooled, I had a hard time maintaining traction. TCS intervened one time. :) I used to have an Eclipse with exhaust, intake and a few smaller mods, running 15psi on a 14G and this I'd say this pulls 90% as hard. So much fun. :)

Also no CEL, no adverse effects (other than it gulping a bar of gas while I was romping on it :) ). It did smell a bit hotter once I got done, but that's to be expected. Temps never left midway on the temp gauge.

Note the HP1 and TRQ numbers. That's 194hp and 194ft/lb of torque. On earlier runs, I saw the HP hit 201 and the tq hit 204. Again, this is just an estimate from the Ultragauge's brain and shouldn't be taken as a full on accurate representation. But it sure FEELS like it's flirting with 200hp.

All-in-all, (as you can tell), I am QUITE pleased with this ECU. I was on the fence about which ECU to buy (Madness or the RRE) and after doing a little research, I decided on the Madness for the features it offered. Plus Eric (And later John when I ordered the DV+) was amazing. He answered my 500,000 questions and was very patient with me. If I had it to do all over again, would I have bought the same one? Not sure I'd have sprung for the Bluetooth version, as it's pretty spartan. But I in no way have buyers remorse.

I also ordered a GFB DV+ Diverter Valve which should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to see what THIS adds to the equation. :)

If anyone has ANY questions, feel free to ask. :)
Thanks for the review! I've been waiting for someone to pull the trigger on one of these and provide an update as I don't have the cajones to be the cannon fodder in these matters. Though I haven't done a whole lot of modding before, when I have been exposed to it in the past, there was always much more chatter preceding my purchase. Whether it was the GM LNF Turbo Upgrade kit for my Sky Redline or my friends debating on one of the seemingly hundreds of ecu options for their 1.8T MkIVs, there was LOTS of talk.

So I was a just a bit bummed that the community wasn't a bit more developed by late '15 when I bought my Renegade but nonetheless I'm glad to see it's developing thanks to folks like you. However, I still have some reservations that perhaps you might help me with?

Most of the literature I've seen from other companies with respect to their modifications is normally filled with verbose "how they did it" factorials accompanied with pictures and graphs. This particular company seems like they're cranking 'em out for as many cars as possible, as I see this unit available for lots of cars, but little explanation on what explicit tuning they focus on for our pretty unique MultiAir drivetrain. Of course one can easily argue why they wouldn't want to expose their how-to (and effectively part of their intellectual property) freely to the world, but it nonetheless gives me pause.

That said, have you noticed any awkwardness in power delivery, say, rather than a continuous function of power increase as boost builds, a sharp, discrete power delivery that's harsher than simply the turbo spooling? Our valve train can choose a number of intake valve opening/closing schemes—they don't have to slavishly follow the intake cam profile exactly—thanks to the hydraulic coupling mechanism that makes up our MultiAir system. If that was ignored during R&D, it's possible that it may cause awkward power delivery. While I'm looking for notable power gains, I'm not interested in losing refinement.

Is there anything of nuance you can report, positive or negative?

I'm glad to hear they were accommodating for you during this whole process. That definitely helps boost my brand image of them!

Hi there ODGreenFifteen,
Now besides getting this nice increase in overall HP our most popular selling product is hands down our MADNESS GoPedal. You can think of this like a Sport Button but on steriods. Literally! Not to mention it installs in minutes! Similar to our MAXPower you'll have numerous settings to choose from. For those that want that ALL OUT response you can opt for RACE mode or maybe you're taking a trip across state, well the GoPedal as an ECO mode as well! To top it all off this product also comes with a 30 Day Money Back Guarantee we're that confident in this products results! So for those of you that have considered boosting up your performance with a MAXPower unit this is definitely something you want to think about adding into the mix.
Unfortunately, it's gimmicky stuff like this that exasperates my preexisting reservations. A modification that changes the drive-by-wire output signal so that 1x throttle application now equals 1.3x throttle body opening or what have ya is silly and characteristically incongruent with the kind of hardcore and serious approach I'd expect from a company supplementing or overriding an engine's ECU.

I've noticed current generation tCs are like this from the factory. The first 10% of the throttle is 90% of the throttle body opening so the remaining 90% of your throttle is the last 10% — it's ghastly. So while I'm sure all the schmoes who think they're getting a "RACE Mode!" in their car—which could be replaced by simply pressing the gas pedal more otherwise—are pleased as punch, I'm afraid it diminishes the perception of your brand's integrity as a serious automotive tuner. If Advanced Auto Parts came out with a Mustang exhaust that genuinely performs better than Edelbrock's or Bassani's, no one would buy it because they're associated with making gimmicky nonsense. I fear MADNESS may be walking this fine line rather than being firmly planted in the "take me seriously" camp. That's my perception anyway.

Reactions: JayhawkOne
#37 ·
Unfortunately, it's gimmicky stuff like this that exasperates my preexisting reservations. A modification that changes the drive-by-wire output signal so that 1x throttle application now equals 1.3x throttle body opening or what have ya is silly and characteristically incongruent with the kind of hardcore and serious approach I'd expect from a company supplementing or overriding an engine's ECU.

I've noticed current generation tCs are like this from the factory. The first 10% of the throttle is 90% of the throttle body opening so the remaining 90% of your throttle is the last 10% — it's ghastly. So while I'm sure all the schmoes who think they're getting a "RACE Mode!" in their car—which could be replaced by simply pressing the gas pedal more otherwise—are pleased as punch, I'm afraid it diminishes the perception of your brand's integrity as a serious automotive tuner. If Advanced Auto Parts came out with a Mustang exhaust that genuinely performs better than Edelbrock's or Bassani's, no one would buy it because they're associated with making gimmicky nonsense. I fear MADNESS may be walking this fine line rather than being firmly planted in the "take me seriously" camp. That's my perception anyway.
Hi there Rick,

Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm personally not a tech nor a tuner however I've had over 13 car builds so far in my lifetime everything from a 72 Skylark GS to a C5 Z06 and for any non believers of this product my answer is always the same. There's a reason why we offer that 30 day money back guarantee and regardless of the make/model of the vehicle is you simply search MADNESS GOPedal in any forum etc one thing is a constant and that is the solid customer reviews.

Could you experience the same results as slamming your foot down on the pedal? No. Why so? Because the curve adjustment on the GOPedal allows for an immediate response, zero hesitation and it's not gradual since you're literally altering the signal that's being sent to the ECU for your throttle. It would be nearly impossible to duplicate these results without one in my professional opinion. Now I also want to be very clear, if you're someone that's looking for HP results from this product well that's not going to happen and we've also never made those claims. However, the best way I can describe this product to you is it enhances your driving experience and after performing the install I'll always ask our customers to take the car for a spin around the block, stop and then look in your rear view mirror (you'll always see a big grin). In a nutshell it's fun, it's easy to install and best of all it's RISK FREE so when you think about it what do you really have to lose?

Trust me, I respect everyone's opinion and I don't want to sound like I'm forcing anything down anyone's throat but as a serious enthusiast myself I definitely think this is a must have on your mod list and it truly compliments the added power of an ECM module!

So Rick, I definitely appreciate the feedback and you taking a moment to share your opinions so thank you. If you'd ever like to discuss things further or have any other questions for us please feel free to reach out to me directly and I'll do my best to help you out!

Respectfully,

Joseph

Sales Manager
MADNESS Autoworks
562-981-6800 ext 108
jreyes@madnessautoworks.com

#34 · (Edited)
*I shouldn't say "no one would buy it (Advanced Auto exhaust)," but it would definitely be perceived as a substandard item by the more ardent and hardcore community as the whole brand is tarnished. The Maxpower ECU may be the silver spoon that feeds us, but the GoPedal is its tarnish.

#35 ·
Just as a point of reference, you started at 140hp and now you believe that the car is about 200hp? i.e. a gain of 60hp, correct?

I have the same 4x2 as you, and I will follow your thread to see if all keeps going on well after a long period of use. I am thinking of ordering the ECM just after my warranty is over.

Please keep updating this thread, even if that means that it's just a "no problems up to now" line.

If possible and it's not too much of a hassle, next time you speak to MADNESS, please ask them if they actually created a branch in Europe. I live in a European country and it would be a disaster (customs tax-wise) if I order the ECM from the US.

Many thanx and happy boosting !!!

#36 ·
The US Renegade actually produces 160hp stock. And I believe this ECU mod to add between 20-30hp, so I'm thinking about 180-190hp realistically. It may be more, but I'm thinking those numbers are more practical.

And I'll be glad to ask them about a European branch next time I talk to them. In fact, I*believe* I read in another thread they do in fact have some sort of overseas "sister" company.

Rick,
I'm slammed at work today, but I'll be more than happy to answer your questions when I get home tonight. :)

#45 ·
As far as the surging, it does not. It actually exacerbates it a bit as boost comes online (there's more of it). The engine itself without the turbo only puts out something like 98ft lbs of torque-there's not much down low and the ECU doesn't change this a whole lot- So when boost comes online, with the added fuel and air, it really comes on hard. Theres nothing smooth about it. In fact, 1st is a bit too short in my opinion.

As far as dyno numbers, there are a few dyno sheets on the madness site, as well as via a Google search. I'm out of town ATM and on my cell, or I'd post one for you. But they shouldn't be too hard to find. I think I did a Google image search for "abarth madness ECU dyno" or the like. Keep in mind most of these are for the older generation units, tho. The Maxpower supposedly eeks a little bit more power out.

#49 ·
As someone who has been running the Madness ECM for about a week now, I will say there is a significant increase in power and torque. I will be writing a full review of it as well as a few other things such as the Day Star Lift Kit shortly after I get my tires on tomorrow and am able to take a picture of the completed "phase one" of my vehicle

#53 ·
Holy nuts broseph! thanks for sharing the link. I am going to research this brand with my VW forums see what the consensus of this ECM is. The unit itself looks way legit , and it does appear its setup is similar to the Madness for a couple hundred less.

If it checks out with my VeeDub crowd, I might opt for this over the Madness unit just to switch it up. ~(_8^(I)

#54 ·
Hmmmmm. Upon more review might need to contact them. These appear to be diesel specific. Their web mentions the gas turbo jet 1.4L but then the product specific link for that model engine is not there. I will find the time later to email these chaps and see if they have played with the petrol versions of the fiat engine.

#56 ·
As I see in the pictures, it only has 2 sensors instead of 3 (that the madness ECU has).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.