Broken vac hose fitting - Jeep Renegade Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Broken vac hose fitting

While checking my air filter today I clumsily managed to break one of the plastic vacuum hose fittings that attaches to it. It's the one on the left currently being held in place through the creative use of zip ties.

Anybody know what this line goes to? I'm not getting a CEL yet but it's obviously no longer a perfect vacuum seal, so I'm wondering if the plastic neck that the fitting is part of is an available part or if the entire airbox will have to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vacline.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	43770  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4T
2015 Fiat 500 Sport - wife's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 09:46 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Ha Ha! I did the exact same thing on my 2nd day. I slipped a 3" pvc tube inside as a connector and it seals it well enough. Not sure what its for or whether it sucks or blows gasses. Doesn't matter, its not an emergency. Never a code. and forget repair with any glue, its too structurally stressed for glues.

I was gonna say "it was like that when I got here" kinda thing to the dealer but I'm afraid of kharma. So I'll just wait it out until the local junk yard or the dealer has the part available. Its a shame, the connector actually slips off easily once you figure it out. Dont know if the unit comes off the lid or not. Looks like its sonically welded on.

What i wanna know is if the large air duct articulates with its lower segment and comes apart. I'd like more room when changing the oil filter. And its how it got busted to begin with.

I'll let you know when I come up with a fix.

And you're a braver man than I for bringing it up. I'd never have brought it up on the cobra forum. They'd laugh me off before rescinding my membership.

Jon
2015 white Sport manual, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

Last edited by JFS; 05-27-2016 at 09:53 PM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Update: I'm at the dealer for an oil change today, and pointed this out. Price to replace the airbox is $287. It's still never thrown a code, and the tech agrees that if there was any significant vacuum leakage it would throw a code. Since this fitting is forward of the MAF sensor, it's automatically compensating for any loss of vacuum pressure. If the break was between the MAF and the throttle body, there would be real problems.

I'm going to leave it alone for now. If I happen across an airbox from a junker I'll probably swap it out. If it starts showing symptoms of a vacuum leak, maybe I'll hit it with some JB weld in addition to the current zip tie fix which seems to be providing pretty good structural integrity. It hasn't moved a whisker in the several thousand miles since it happened.

2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4T
2015 Fiat 500 Sport - wife's

- project

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Glad to have learned this before I broke mine! Thank you @CLShifter

2016 Renegade Latitude 1.4T, 4x4
2016 Buick Enclave - wife's
2007 Nissan 350z - Track Car
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 AM
JFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLShifter View Post
Update: Price to replace the airbox is $287. I'm going to leave it alone for now. If I happen across an airbox from a junker I'll probably swap it out.
Ditto. Lesson learned is watch the plastics in the engine bay. Zip ties offer greater strength than OEM. So I'm watching local yards as well.

Jon
2015 white Sport manual, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Just realized mine was broke too. Grr. Glue may not work but I bet JB weld putty will. ;-)
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 07:09 AM
JFS

Rich, in one of the other threads, I replied that I got a new lid for about $50 shipped. Keep checking car-parts.com and ebay. Lids are out there. Fixing the broken tree fixed my engine hesitation.

Jon

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:44 AM

Those hoses didn't seem to have vacuum I'm assuming they're part of EVAP system. Do you have a picture of what broke or to you replaced on yours? Also did it help your fuel economy? I've noticed the 1.4 is hard to get above 25mpg babying it at highway speed which doesn't sound right. I also need 3 software updates but they didn't tell me for what. I'm curious if those will help too.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 11:25 AM

First Name: J
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Richard View Post
Those hoses didn't seem to have vacuum I'm assuming they're part of EVAP system. Do you have a picture of what broke or to you replaced on yours? Also did it help your fuel economy? I've noticed the 1.4 is hard to get above 25mpg babying it at highway speed which doesn't sound right. I also need 3 software updates but they didn't tell me for what. I'm curious if those will help too.
Your assumption is correct. Those hoses are part of the EVAP system. I think it uses the boost pressure from the charged side of the intake to help create a vacuum to work the EVAP system. I could be very wrong on this though.

I only know this because I went and put a DIY short ram intake on my 1.4L Turbo. To connect everything I remade the EVAP lines with transmission cooling tubes since the PEX-style tubing FCA uses is really rigid. I originally didn't connect the EVAP line coming form the charged side (just capped it) and I got an EVAP CEL after my first new tank of fuel.

You may want to get the updates done just to see if it helps with the mpg, especially if you have the fiddly 9spd Auto. I Have the manual and can easily push 34mpg highway. I average about 28mpg combined.

2016 Renegade Sport 4x4 1.4T Manual
Madness Maxpower ECM
GFB DV+
K&N Filter
Magnaflow 2.5" resonator back exhaust with 4" round muffler
LED lights where possible
DIY short ram intake
DIY oil catch can
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 10:59 PM

JB didn't hold. Seeing dealer tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page