87 OR 93 Fuel for 2.4L Renegade - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
87 OR 93 Fuel for 2.4L Renegade

Hello,

I know it says in the manual book that the 2.4L requires 87 Octane, But is 93 better for the car or is it actually hurting it? Let the argue begin

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
87 only any more than that and your wasting money and performance.

Me 07 JKU, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 2.4L Auto
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Might be wasting money but unlikely wasting performance, the ECU will adjust to the higher octane to eliminate any gains, since the compression ratio and operating temp of the engine is fixed. Millions probably buy higher octane in the belief that it's "better" but reality is, if you're not getting knocking or pinging on regular, you can keep using regular. Higher octane only adds more power or performance when the engine itself is designed for it (I had a Smart car that recommended 93 octane because of its high compression 3cyl engine)

That being said, the annual waste if you use higher octane is only about $100 so in the grand scheme of thing, we probably waste more in other areas of our lives than in gas that's a few cents more per gallon. Lol.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:08 PM

First Name: Nate
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlus View Post
Might be wasting money but unlikely wasting performance, the ECU will adjust to the higher octane to eliminate any gains, since the compression ratio and operating temp of the engine is fixed. Millions probably buy higher octane in the belief that it's "better" but reality is, if you're not getting knocking or pinging on regular, you can keep using regular. Higher octane only adds more power or performance when the engine itself is designed for it (I had a Smart car that recommended 93 octane because of its high compression 3cyl engine)

That being said, the annual waste if you use higher octane is only about $100 so in the grand scheme of thing, we probably waste more in other areas of our lives than in gas that's a few cents more per gallon. Lol.
Where I live the difference is $0.60 per gallon average.
Rich people do not have this conversation by the way...
Me personally, I bought a cheap car because I can not afford high gas prices.
If I have the money, I will never drive a Renegade.
So for us poor people... it's a no brainer
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I flat out don't or won't buy a vehicle that requires premium gas.
Premium gas could add up to $2000 in costs over the life of the vehicle.

2017 Jeep Renegade TH
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5P
2006 Toyota RAV4
1989 Chevy Suburban

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlus View Post
Millions probably buy higher octane in the belief that it's "better" but reality is, if you're not getting knocking or pinging on regular, you can keep using regular. Higher octane only adds more power or performance when the engine itself is designed for it...
This is correctl. Higher octane fuel has additives which make it more difficult to ignite--this reduces pre-ignition, which is why high-performance engines with high compression ratios need it. Turbocharged engines also benefit (note, the 1.4T Renegade engine wants it). I don't know if running high octane fuel in an engine that doesn't need it is necessarily bad.

AFAIK, the octane number originally referred to the percentage of pure octane to heptane in fuel. Octane is a hydrocarbon with 8 carbon atoms and 18 hydrogens; heptane with 7 carbons and 16 hydrogens is more volatile and more easily ignited. Gasoline normally contains both of these--the less heptane, the less volatile the fuel (although nowadays, many of the fuel characteristics are modified with chemical additives).
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
The 2.4 pulls timing a lot it seems. So 93 would likely change actual performance. But at $0.60 per gallon difference, I don't think it's going to be worth it.

Octane aside, the higher grades often pack a better detergent package than the cheapest grade. Which can be worth a tank every now and then.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Any engine can get more power out of higher octane fuel, but it must be tuned to do so. Higher octane fuel has a lower energy density, but higher resistance to ignition. Unless your engine is hot and pings, running higher octane fuel on the stock timing map will yield less power. You need to add timing to add torque.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk
rjkj2005 and bonesky like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 10:29 AM

First Name: J
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, best thing is follow what the manufacturer recommends, but in my experience, it is okay to run a tank of the high test every now and then to gain a benefit of the detergents.
Higher octane fuel is only useful if your engine has a high compression ratio, either through forced induction or a long stroke, or like other people have said, if you get the engine tuned for it.
It helps prevent pre-detonation which means it is technically harder to ignite.
I have the 1.4L turbo and it can run on 87, but man is it grumpy and makes it feel like there is a boat anchor dragging behind the Jeep. I keep it at 93 since 91 is only offered at one gas station in my area.

But hey, it is your money and your Jeep! Do what you will and have fun with it!
Jawbox likes this.

2016 Renegade Sport 4x4 1.4T Manual
Madness MAXpower ECM
Madness MAXfire Ignition Coil Packs
GFB DV+
Magnaflow 2.5" cat-back exhaust (no resonator) with 4" round muffler
LED lights where possible
DIY short ram intake with K&N Filter
DIY oil catch can
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
As noted, using higher octane fuel on an engine that does not require it is a waste of money and yields no performance benefit. That goes for the stock 2.4L engine on the Renegade. 87 octane is all you need. Around here, premium costs up to 60 cents more per gallon. Yet that additional expense buys you nothing in the way of performance improvement on the standard 2.4L Renegade engine.

If you have concerns about the detergent package, it's much more cost effective to buy 87 octane gas from a brand that advertises or certifies that its gas meets Top Tier(tm) detergent standards. Although the EPA mandates a minimum level of detergents and other deposit control additives to control engine and intake deposits, many manufacturers now recommend a higher level of these additives. This resulted in the development of the Top Tier detergent standard. BMW, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi are among those who recommend Top Tier rated fuel.

Look for fuel that meets Top Tier Detergent standards to assure that you get a detergent package that meets standards agreed to by these automobile manufacturers.

All brands licensed to use the Top Tier certification must meet the standards for all their grades of fuel and all stations selling that brand in the U.S. and Canada. Therefore, it's not necessary to buy premium gas to get fuel that meets Top Tier standards. Just look for, or ask about, Top Tier certification. Most fuels from major brands in the U.S. market now comply. You can check out www.toptiergas.com for more information, and a list of certified brands that meet Top Tier standards.
Spitfire likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page