Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Key Sticking in Ignition

25K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Amorales 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with the key sticking in the ignition when you turn your Trailhawk off. about 50% of the time I can pull the key out with no problem, but the other half of the time it sticks. I have to jiggle it or turn the car on and off again to get the key to come out. I do not have remote start or keyless start.

#3 ·
Hi jcaye,

The Renegade’s shift lever has an enhanced safety mechanism that requires the driver to release the brake pedal prior to removing the key from the ignition. After shifting into park and then releasing the brake pedal, the vehicle requires a slight delay (about 0.5 seconds) before allowing the key to be removed from the ignition cylinder. Be sure to follow this in order to avoid the key sticking in the ignition.

#7 ·
My key also get stuck it totally freaks me out. I call the dealership they have no idea what I'm talking about. Also driver side window lots of air noise sounds like window is cracked open when it's not. Plus acceleration issues i miss my little jeep compass. I'm not so happy with the renegade.

#9 ·
If you turn the key to the "accessories" selection on the ignition and then press the brake, the safety will engage... sometimes when this happens, the safety will NOT release until the car is started up and driven a bit... go try it... it happens at least half of the time to me... I'm certain this will be a recall once more people run into it.

#11 ·
It's only a matter of time until the key will get stuck and be very hard to get out. It took me 10 minutes last night to get my key out of the ignition. Restarting, shifting from park to drive back to park, then turning back off did not work until it finally decided to let loose of it. I had a meeting at 7pm and the meeting ran until 9pm. I got in my TH and stuck the key in and the key would not turn at all it was locked up. Had to have it towed. Bad thing was the electronic brake was engaged and you cannot disengage without the car running, kind of hard to do when the key won't even turn. Tow truck driver had to drag my TH onto the flatbed. This is a serious design flaw and if you are having trouble with your key sticking DON'T ignore it, take it in and have them look at it. I didn't get home until 1:00am from my 7pm meeting because of it. It is at the shop right now i will post to let you know what the problem was.

#12 ·
Well I got my Renegade back on Friday September 18 and it was an ignition failure. They had to order the part, so they just sent me home with it and said "I wouldn't" recommend driving it" I have to wait another week for the part to come in. The key stuck on me last night and I thought "Oh no, not again" but I was finally able to get it out! My guess is that the same ignition will be put back in (only new) but with the same problems.

#15 ·
If this is the same problem I have experienced, it is more than just a safety feature that can be explained away in the manual...

There is a safety that engages if I turn the car off and leave the key in the ignition for a few seconds before removing it... or if I have the key turned to "accessories" and press the brake... this safety often fails to release and I am forced to turn the car on and drive it back and forth, then shut it down and quickly remove the key.

There is no way this is how it is intended to operate... the head service guy at a local dealer experienced it in my car and was also stumped... I'm going to wait to see if there is a recall or software update that addresses it... or bring my car in to let them look at it more when I have time.

#17 ·
That's how mine started. I would be out in the garage and the kids would be yelling out and asking me what i was doing. I told them I was trying to get my key out of the ignition. Some days it took longer than others to get it out. One thing i have noticed is that if you turn your key to the run position, but don't start it and let it set for a few minutes your key will be trapped and you will have to start the vehicle to get it out. Very strange, and i also get a clicking sound coming from the shifter and the ignition when the car is running and i press on the brake. Hope you get yours figured out. This issue is driving me crazy.

#18 ·
. . . i also get a clicking sound coming from the shifter and the ignition when the car is running and i press on the brake. . .
This sound is normal. It is an interlock that prevents shifter movement from park unless the brake pedal is pressed.

#19 ·
Same sticking issue with the Key

My daughter's Jeep Renegade is at the dealer right now for this very same problem. They replaced the ignition and are still having the same issue. They have contacted the Engineer at Jeep to get some assistance on this problem. Dealer is trying hard to fix this issue, but have had no success to-date. Not sure what will be the utimate fix, but stay tuned as I feel this will be a reoccurring, long-term problem.

#20 ·
Key wouldn't turn

2015 Renegade owner.-still under warranty. Key was sticking at random times when I would turn engine off then back on to put the radio on or window down, then shut key off again and it wouldn't come out. I had to restart the car put it in park, back up, and turn key off and it would come out. Key would not turn at all and car had to be towed to dealer. 4 days later they said it's ready and there was a software update that was needed and it "seems" to be fine now. I am hesitant, but what choice do i have but to get my car back. I really hope that was the issue-there is a service bulletin that said the engine control module had software updates so i am really hoping that is the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.