Jeep Reliability - Worries and Questions THREAD - Jeep Renegade Forum
 30Likes

post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Question Jeep Reliability - Worries and Questions THREAD

I'm in the market for a new SUV. Eyes on a Rene TH. I keep seeing people dogging Jeep for reliability issues. I've never owned a Jeep and I'm curious about what everyone is talking about??? Can anyone elaborate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
What everyone is talking about is initial quality.

Jeep has one of the lowest initial quality scores of the industry.
That is, more defects on new vehicles than the industry average when new.
However, Jeeps score above average for long term durability.

This focus on initial quality is natural for car journalists since they drive new cars every week.

Because they don't keep cars around, auto journalists will talk down Jeeps while at the same time talking wistfully about Mazda cars with rotary engines.
Cars that are famous for dying like a cockroach sprayed with RAID shortly after the factory drivetrain warranty expires.
Auto journalists are like children. They get bored with every toy they get in five minuets and are always chasing the after the next, new shiny distraction.

In short:
If you are planning on leasing the all-new TH Renegade for a few years as a mobile fashion accessory, you proably will be dissapointed with it's initial reliability.

If you are planning on buying the Jeep and getting the unlimited mileage warranty, you could hardly do better.
twospirits likes this.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

What if I'm planning on leasing because I'm afraid I'll A. Not like it after a few years (Most likely want to upgrade to a newer model) or B. Don't want to take the chance on long term issues with a brand new model? I've owned an original model Honda Element after a previous owner turned it in after his lease was up. I love it and had only minor issues in its life. I've had extremely good luck with Hondas though. Was just wondering why Jeep was getting bashed so. Don't Wranglers have one of the highest resale/most reliable/most likely to hold onto rates for any cars? Right up there with Subaru?

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Also, what kid of reliability issues are we talking about here? Transmission stuff? Leave you on the side of the road types? Or just annoying, I have to take it to the dealer again to fix a light or minor nuisance?
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Incognito - can you point us to the numbers for long-term?

The only source I have is Consumer Reports, and they show relatively poor and below-average reliability on the Jeep models I checked. Also very unhappy owners.

If you can provide a link, I'd like to read it.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnishedGold View Post
Also, what kid of reliability issues are we talking about here? Transmission stuff? Leave you on the side of the road types? Or just annoying, I have to take it to the dealer again to fix a light or minor nuisance?
All of the above.

The Wrangler has been out for years now and is solid.
The new for 2014 Cherokee, on the other hand has had the worst reliability of the Jeep lineup.
About 2% of the 2014 Cherokees have had transmission problems.

Where the Renegade will fall is anyone's guess, however........

Both the 1.4T and 2.4L engines have been out for years and are good.
The C635 manual transmission on the 1.4T is also used on the Dodge Dart and is known to be reliable.
The 9-speed auto used on the 2.4 is the same one used on the Cherokee.
Jeep says they have gotten over the 9-sped's first year blues, only time will tell if they have or not.

The reason the Wrangler has such high resale is because Jeep never builds enough Wranglers per year to cover demand.
There simply isn't another vehicle that directly competes against it.
This keeps the Wrangler's rebates non-existent and the per-unit profit margin high.
High resale value is a side effect of this shortage and helps keep Jeep dealers profitable when leases are turned in.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Hmm Good food for thought. Thanks.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:13 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
What everyone is talking about is initial quality.

Because they don't keep cars around, auto journalists will talk down Jeeps while at the same time talking wistfully about Mazda cars with rotary engines.
Cars that are famous for dying like a cockroach sprayed with RAID shortly after the factory drivetrain warranty expires.
sorry, but wasn't the last rotary engine in a Mazda the RX-8?
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnishedGold View Post
I'm in the market for a new SUV. Eyes on a Rene TH. I keep seeing people dogging Jeep for reliability issues. I've never owned a Jeep and I'm curious about what everyone is talking about??? Can anyone elaborate?
between my wife and I we've owned 3 jeeps, a 99 Cherokee, a 2004 Grand Cherokee and a 2006 Commander. We found them to be decent reliability wise up until about 100,000 miles. At that point all three developed multiple problems that resulted in trading them in. This however was all before Fiat got involved. Now you're putting together 2 brands with atrocious reliability ratings....seems like a recipe for disaster.
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 11:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes the last rotary was the RX8. But Mazda is still tinkering in the labs. It's hard to justify investing engineering resources on a very small-volume engine like that.

I owned a 1993 RX7 R1, and I miss it to this day. 155 mph, 1+ lateral G, totally reliable for the 50,000 miles I owned it, and still racing in MA the last time I checked. If I could buy it back this instant, I would.

It was the most elegant car I've ever encountered. Smooth as silk. But it was a rocket ship when the primary turbo kicked in.

And to hear somebody on a FIAT forum (oh sorry, it has a Jeep sticker) insulting another brand's reliability? ROTFL
kj11 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page