Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Small 12.7 gallon gas tank

47K views 57 replies 40 participants last post by  jarhead57 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering what cruising mileage you are getting form your TH. I'm afraid I might have to fill up twice a week. Not sure why it is so small (weight) is the only thing I have come up with.

Thanks
Jeff

#2 ·
I average about 22, and that's with a fairly heavy foot (mine is still fairly new to me, so I have a tendency to zip around traffic alot). Most of my driving is in city, but about 3-4 days a week I have to hit the interstate (70 mph) to get where I am going. I haven't taken it on any noteworthy highway distance so I can't say much about that part.

Reactions: tageguy
#4 ·
I'd figure around 300 miles +/- per tank. My last tank was upwards of 28+ mpg with a lot of highway driving, but around town it's a little less.

#6 ·
My 98 Cherokee had a 20 gallon tank and when I got my 08 Vibe and realized it had a 13 gallon tank I dramatically thought I had made a huge mistake... But turns out I lived and it wasn't a big deal, just something you gotta get used to.

#10 ·
not according to all the sites out there they are all 12.7, and there isn't any gas thank size options on jeeps configurator. Would have been a great option to have i'm sure alot of people would have gotten it, think everybody with 4x4 should opt to get it. it should be at least 16 gallons 18 would be ideal.

#14 ·
At first when I read that the Renegade had a 12 gallon tank I was somewhat disappointed mainly because my previous Santa Fe had a 17 gallon tank and the current my Santa Fe has a 19 gallon tank. Both get (at the very best) only 13 MPG (when they should get 17) and that only gives me about 247 miles between fill ups. But disappointment turns into happy dance when I read from customers that the Renegade with its 12 Gallon tank are getting some folks up to a 350+ miles between fill-ups.
Granted, I do agree that a slightly bigger tanks would be great, only to get more range.

TS

#18 ·
lol Its probably my driving style. I would have to say mainly city driving Monday to Friday. Weekends mostly highway driving. Regardless, it's on the low end being a 2007 AWD auto. I've kept a gas mileage spreadsheet with all my vehicles, and it calculates 13.6 mpg which coincides with my cars trip odometer. The car according to the EPA should be about 17 city, 24 highway and 19 combined. I could have gotten back then a Jeep Wrangler instead since it basically gives 15 mpg city and I would have been driving the vehicle I always wanted.

TS

#21 ·
My 2012 Focus averages 35 MPG. I believe it's 12.4 gallon. I get 380 miles per tank. I'm sure I could stretch it to 400.

#22 ·
The Grand Cherokee has a 24.6 gal tank giving it a great range. My three Honda's had 10-12gal tanks, so 12gals on the Reney is probably small considering the offroad capabilities. Seems like they couldn't have squeezed at least 15 gals someplace.

#23 ·
Fix for the small Renegde tank

Why don't one of you great engineers come up with this idea. An auxiliary tank that fits into the spare tire space and feeds into the fuel system so that it is filled when filling the primary tank. Then move the spare tire to a Baja mount that fits into the spare tire carrier.

It would give the Renegade long legs!

The idea is all yours! Go out and make a jillion!

#29 ·
I believe its right under a gallon or a little over 20 miles for me.

I thought the 12.7 gallon tank would bug me since my caliber had a 13.7 gallon tank which I get go two weeks with out filling up but I actually only lost a day with the smaller tank which is mot that big of a deal but I do wish it had a little bit bigger tank.

The fuel tank size on my 4 vehicles is kind of all across the board which makes me shake my head at the suburban comment.
97 F150 28+ gallons
07 Caliber 13.7 gallons
10 Journey 20.5 gallons
16 renegade 12.7 gallons

#28 ·
No need to wait. Count your fuel ticks (if displayed). Replenish accordingly to full factor of 12.7 US gallons. One tick equals approximately one US gallon. Calculators on your hand held and prices advertised at your respective pump provides the exact amount of dollars you need to spend at the register. Too easy and very effective.

#33 ·
I don't really mind stopping and it hasn't affected my day to day driving at all and I can still get to Orlando and back (290 miles combined) on almost a full tank of gas which is just fine with me and probably could get home with a little to spare if I didn't drive through the country with minimal gas stations on the last leg of the trip.

#32 ·
it will always depend on one's daily total commute mileage and multiply the number of times a week for one's own commute. Mpg vs. Pump price a week figure better in one's budget after that.

Hey, jellywhopper, how's your mpg these days with your motor?
thanks for asking, i must say honestly i don't know, don't even pay any attention, just drive it, love it, and when it needs gas stop by for a fill up. That's what it's all about, enjoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 ·
It is a very small fuel tank - I stopped tonight with "---" range and the gauge right down to the tiniest piece of Red, and putting just 40 litres in brought it right up to full - my last Car was an Audi Q3 and it took 60+ litres from "very empty"...

Still want to do a decent European drive to see what range I can squeeze out of the 1.6 Diesel...

#35 ·
Hey fmunk, I agree with leonida you are a prick - 12 gal is mostly for cars not SUVs. the Samurai has a bigger tank than the BU and so looks like the renegade has the smallest tank there is from small SUVs in the US. But again, there are lots of gas station in in close proximity here in the US, not like overseas.

#36 ·
The 2007 Ford Escape limited V6 4X4 I drove for ~10 years had a 16 gallon tank. The Renegade has a 12.7 gallon tank. Because of the VASTLY better gas mileage of the Renegade (avg = 28 mpg vs 22 mpg combined highway / city for the Escape, so the Renegade is ~22% more efficient), I find that I have to add fuel LESS often than I did before, and the cost per fill-up is significantly less as well. I for one am loving it!

Full disclosure - I'm not your typical driver. I drive about 70% highway / 30% city and I typically drive 20,000 - 25,000 miles per year. (I drove my Escape 249,963 miles before the transmission self-destructed one day and it wasn't cost effective to replace). I drive a mix of "flat land" and mountain roads, plus a significant amount of graded non-paved (gravel /dirt) roads in the mix, so YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.