How's your A/C? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How's your A/C?

Hi folks. I purchased a Rene for my wife this past March, I own a Wrangler JKU so we're a Jeep family. The Rene is coming up on the 4K mile mark and we are headed to the dealership for our 1st oil change. Overall, we love the Rene but we do have a few items we've identified that we think might need some warranty work.

The wife's biggest complaint is with the A/C and how cold the air gets. In warm weather >85F it hardly gets cold. Above 90F and it hardly feels colder than if a fan was blowing. When the outside temp outside gets in the mid 70's then it blows cold air out the vents pretty well, except that's when we really don't need it to blow cold air. Compared to my Wrangler, the A/C really sucks and my Wrangler is a 2009 where I'm expecting some deteriorated performance there.

So I'm wondering what has been everyone else's experience with the coldness of the A/C in warmer outside temps? Is what we're experiencing normal? Our only reference point is with my Wrangler in that with the same outside temp, the brand new Renegade is hardly pushing out any cold air, where my Wrangler will freeze your face off.

We have an appointment set up for this Friday to have it looked at. What we're worried about is that the weather Friday is forecasted to be in the mid 70's and the dealership is going to tell us, "It seems fine."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Rex

First Name: Ross
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Garage
not normal. get that fixed. I will say that mine takes a few min to really cool down, so I usually remote start my car 10 min or so beforehand if its been sitting in the sun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
I have a 2016 Trailhawk and AC works great. I am coming up on 18000 miles since mid Dec. No problems so far. OIL changed every five thousand miles and purrs like a kitten.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I just read another thread as well, where they described the same problem where it was diagnosed to the factory not filling it with refrigerant.

Seems like FCA needs to put a QC in place at the factory to make sure the A/C gets filled with refrigerant. At least it's good to know the A/C shouldn't suck like this forever.

Last edited by Rednroll; 06-28-2016 at 09:51 PM.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 01:10 AM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
TX heat, just rolled 10k miles. Cools down fairly fast, if it's too hot I pop the vent on my MySky. I remote start for a couple minutes maybe most days I go to lunch. Hovering between 88-94 the last few weeks, no issues. I keep it around 63• and notch 4-5. No sweat and that's with black leather 😎
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. Mine is definitely not working right. It can be running for an hour in 90F weather and it is hardly blowing out cold air at the Max cool setting and the fan fully cranked.

I'm just hoping there's not a coolant system leak somewhere and this turns into something we're dealing with repetitively over time. My wife gets very B****y when it's hot and sticky out and the A/C doesn't work.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I would say you have a problem, been in the 90's here and mine is ice cold.

Hope it's something simple.

As for wife getting B****y, can't help with that. Get her drunk maybe.
K9 Friends likes this.
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednroll View Post
Hi folks. I purchased a Rene for my wife this past March, I own a Wrangler JKU so we're a Jeep family. The Rene is coming up on the 4K mile mark and we are headed to the dealership for our 1st oil change. Overall, we love the Rene but we do have a few items we've identified that we think might need some warranty work.

The wife's biggest complaint is with the A/C and how cold the air gets. In warm weather >85F it hardly gets cold. Above 90F and it hardly feels colder than if a fan was blowing. When the outside temp outside gets in the mid 70's then it blows cold air out the vents pretty well, except that's when we really don't need it to blow cold air. Compared to my Wrangler, the A/C really sucks and my Wrangler is a 2009 where I'm expecting some deteriorated performance there.

So I'm wondering what has been everyone else's experience with the coldness of the A/C in warmer outside temps? Is what we're experiencing normal? Our only reference point is with my Wrangler in that with the same outside temp, the brand new Renegade is hardly pushing out any cold air, where my Wrangler will freeze your face off.

We have an appointment set up for this Friday to have it looked at. What we're worried about is that the weather Friday is forecasted to be in the mid 70's and the dealership is going to tell us, "It seems fine."
If you need further assistance after visiting the dealer, let me know. Thanks - Kevin T, Social Connect Team
Rednroll and K9 Friends like this.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
I can say that I went from a 2005 legacy GT to my 2015 TH. The AC was a huge improvement over that, and it isn't just mine was old, my friend got a 2015 forester and it too isn't that impressive.

However, I can say that it pales in comparison to the 2013 avenger I had as a loaner while my renny was in for service. The AC in that was insane. Like the big refrigerated produce/dairy room at a costco or sam's club insane.

OP's experience seems off, and I'd get it checked.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I am in lower California desert and temps are above 110 degrees daily. I would say you need to have your a/c checked as my 2015 latitude / automatic works great. No problems at all and even blows good at idle. Best a/c I have had in any of my past 4 vehicles. Hope you get it fixed.
QuinnGTL likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page