Driving in Snow - Jeep Renegade Forum
 3Likes

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Driving in Snow

I live in "snow country." Who else, and how does your Renegade handle the white stuff?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I do, but I picked my Renegade up in March, and didn't have much snow left, except for a 6-10" dump of wet, sloppy stuff, about 3 weeks after I took delivery. I didn't have any real problems(once I turned of the traction control, of course). In the REALLY deep stuff, it would probably get hung up, but if it's that deep, I probably won't be going out in it.

Karl
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I had my Trailhawk up in the Cascades a couple times over the winter. Took son snowboarding, went across the pass for a road trip, etc. It drove very well.
I didn't do any real wheelin in the snow.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I live in the "Snow Belt" south of Buffalo,NY. I just got my Renegade around three weeks ago, so I'll find out this coming winter as well. My past seven vehicles have been Subaru's and with a set of snow tires they were great. I will be putting snow tires on the Renegade and with the ground clearance it has, I don't anticipate any problems.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I have the Trailhawk, I purchased in early February and February and March is when Colorado usually get the biggest snows. I drove fine in 18inch still snowing blizzard like conditions and Renegade handled very well on the stock wranglers.
Spitfire likes this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneSpaz View Post
I had my Trailhawk up in the Cascades a couple times over the winter. Took son snowboarding, went across the pass for a road trip, etc. It drove very well.
I didn't do any real wheelin in the snow.
This is basically the kind of stuff I'm asking about. I sometimes have to drive long distances in the mountains for work, in the middle of winter; I also enjoy skiing and other winter sports. I have no interest in "real wheelin'," I just want to get where I'm going with zero drama.

I watched a couple of videos of Renegades in snow. Some of them look like the same day, same Renegade, on a man-made test course north of Montreal, with some steep pitches and large bumps. The thing is, that's not reality for most of us.

For many people, driving in show means driving on the road when it's snowing, with the roadway possibly covered with a layer of hard-packed snow or ice. The surface traction can change continuously, and effectivve traction can be as much a function of the stability control programming anything else*. Almost any AWD vehicle will go in the snow, it's going in the snow without drama that's important. I've been driving snow-covered highways for decades, much of that time in RWD pickups, so I have a pretty good idea of what driving at speed on a slick surface feels like. It was a revelation to me the first time I drove my current vehicle, an SUV with full-time 4WD and an active vehicle stability system--the road just didn't feel as slick (indeed, I had to watch my speed, as the usual tactile indicators I was at the edge of traction were missing).

So anyway, I guess what I'm asking in this thread is, how good is the "Electronic Stability Control" system in the Renegade? I expect it to be effective yet unobtrusive (as it's 10 years newer than the one on my Suzuki).

(* Assuming good quality, dedicated snow tires, of course.)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:39 PM

First Name: Jack
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a manual latitude with stock tires. I found the snow mode for 4wd works incredibly well (compared to plain 4wd on a Ford Explorer). I went to an empty parking lot, and trying as hard as I could it kept traction in heavy slush. Now put it in mud, however, and it turns into a saucer sled.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Yeah, it depends on your 4wd mode as well. The snow mode seems pretty sluggish, which could make some sense as it doesn't want to let you spin out.
The auto mode did very well and was more responsive. If you drive a lot in the snow, I suggest spending time to find your favorite 4wd mode.
I have a '15 Trailhawk with stock tires and it was all very good. Should be ordering new tires this week.
Getting ready for Moab!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneSpaz View Post
I have a '15 Trailhawk with stock tires and it was all very good. Should be ordering new tires this week.
Getting ready for Moab!
Yes, tires are important. But somehow I doubt you're ordering snow tires for a trip to Moab
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
ReneSpaz said he "should be ordering new tires this week" He didn't specify what rubber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page