These TrailHawks Love the SNOW!! - Page 3 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 22Likes

post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzel View Post
Not impress? I had just purchased my Renegade Feb last year, Colorado got about 15inch snow storm, when all these vehicles could not make it up a hill, (mostly regular cars and AWD) were turned in all sorts of directions as they slip an slid trying to get up the hill, I dropped down into "snow" mod, took a big breath and eased up over the hill while maneuvering around all the other stuck vehicles. Never slipped or slid. So at that point my little Rene earned my trust. I still had the stock wranglers back then.
Well, all I can say is I've been driving in snow for decades, in many different vehicles--some of which were very good in the snow--and the Renegade seemed to slip around a bit more than I like. Just saying it like it is.

But, I'm sure it will grow on me as I get used to it. Gotta do a long drive this weekend through an expected snowstorm, though, so I'll report back after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Well, all I can say is I've been driving in snow for decades, in many different vehicles--some of which were very good in the snow--and the Renegade seemed to slip around a bit more than I like. Just saying it like it is.

But, I'm sure it will grow on me as I get used to it. Gotta do a long drive this weekend through an expected snowstorm, though, so I'll report back after that.

I came from an FJ Cruiser with Cooper ATs. The Renegade of course is not as capable as the FJ but I have to say it is capable enough for what I need it to do. However, I do believe that depending on what part of the country you are at, the snow and ice mixtures are different and react differently to the type of tires you have. It is wonderful that we have so many options in vehicles and tires to best fit what we like and what fits our needs.
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 04:50 PM

First Name: Billy Bob
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wink Latitude 4x4 good in snow too

Latitude 4x4 does fine too. Dialed it to 'snow' and drove home in our first snowfall yesterday with new stock tires. No slipping even when I tried to make it slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	news.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	54993  
elf883 and captadv like this.

US 2016 Renegade Latitude 4x4 2.4L 9 speed black in black Uconnect 5.0/RA2 with cold weather, passive entry, remote start, and 'popular equipment' groups (purchased Nov 2 2016).

post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvanbusk View Post
Latitude 4x4 does fine too. Dialed it to 'snow' and drove home in our first snowfall yesterday with new stock tires. No slipping even when I tried to make it slide.
You gotta slide in the snow, providing that it is safe to do so

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Concur, wvanbusk, I tried mine the first time in snow yesterday. A true champion Jeep. No fish tailing, no sliding, steady as she goes.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 03:07 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
So, did my trip; came back sick with a cold, so didn't post right away.

I drove four hours over three mountain passes on the way there (see the pic), then parked the Jeep at an airport for two days. I returned at around 11:00 at night, and the temperature was -20 (bit of a cold snap). Started the Renegade, drove to a hotel, then spent the next two days doing business on the way home.

What I found: I don't like "snow" mode. Seems like the little "ESC" icon was often coming on, and whenever it did the computer cut engine power. (This was the genesis of my original negative comments--I was driving in "snow" mode.) Better to just leave it in "auto" mode, and lock in 4X4 if I need the traction.

It tracks well enough and I was able to pass most other traffic, even when only the passing lanes were covered in snow.

Engine started right up at -20C and ran without complaint. Heated seats and steering wheel are a real bonus when it's that cold! (They also make driving with a bad cold a bit less miserable...). Just today, though, I noted a cradk in the windshield in a very odd place--coming down from the top directly in front of the driver (of course...). Yes, there are a few new rock chips, but none that I can see that would have started the crack, so I'm unsure of the cause.

Overall, I'm happy wih the Renegade's snow prowess. It's not quite as good as my old Suzuki GV, but it's close (and it burns a lot less gas!). It'll get me to the skihills just fine.

ridders and elf883 like this.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:29 AM
Pat

First Name: Pat
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elf883 View Post
ur nuts lol --- i will do a snow dance and give u 2.5 feet of snow !!! hahaha

say the magical words - snow is good snow is great, snow makes u want to skate , say that 3 times while licking an ice cube and turning 360* untill u fall on the floor

and u will have snow
Please send said snow to Salt Lake City, Utah and the surrounding mountains. I need lots of snow so it will eventually melt allowing me to play in rapid water. Thank you for any and all snow/snow dances.
elf883 likes this.
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Designed to excel in snow. This is good.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Last winter I had a Latitude, this year I have a Trailhawk. While the Latitude did well the Trailhawk is amazing. It's a little tank that just goes. I was showing some clients some houses in the snow, they were in a Ram 1500 4x4 with big beefy mud-terrain tires and were sliding around while my Trailhawk just kept going. I love the Snow mode as it slows down throttle response and stiffens up the steering to prevent you from quick movements that could cause problems.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergeek View Post
Last winter I had a Latitude, this year I have a Trailhawk. While the Latitude did well the Trailhawk is amazing. It's a little tank that just goes. I was showing some clients some houses in the snow, they were in a Ram 1500 4x4 with big beefy mud-terrain tires and were sliding around while my Trailhawk just kept going. I love the Snow mode as it slows down throttle response and stiffens up the steering to prevent you from quick movements that could cause problems.
Interesting. Was your Latitude 4x4? And, automatic or manual?

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page