Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Snow and the Renegade - Detroit Area

20K views 77 replies 31 participants last post by  elf883 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!! Looking for reviews on your Renegade handled the snow. I am in the Detroit Metro Area, and have been thinking about getting the 2015 Latitude/4x4/1.4L/6speed. How did your Renegade do? Let me know, and please include your engine/trans/driveline for reference. Thank you

#9 ·
The Jeep does great in the snow, sadly this year no real snow. Although last year had a few time when the snow was over the bumper and I had no issues. Mine is a latitude model 2.4l and at the time had the stock tires on the vehicle. It does great in the snow.

#10 ·
I live in Grand Rapids and have already received several inches, The Renegade has done fine but next year I will get snow tires because they make a huge difference.
2016 Latitude 4x4 2.4L, it's already been to Detroit for fun in the city, Detroit Princess, eastern market and great polish markets and restaurants! Greek too!
PETTY.

#12 ·
Great Feedback, Thanks !
Now just need to convince the Bride. She can't drive a stick, but has a lovely mini van to get groceries in.
I have compared and researched the Patriot, Compass, and a few other products, and have started to lean towards the Renegade.

#13 ·
Bought my Renegade back in July and this is the first vehicle I'm going to keep. I traded in my 2015 Subaru WRX for it and I have no regrets(other than when I pass another car)! The past couple of weeks we have had some pretty good "lake effect" snow storms and the Renegade has been fantastic! The one night, coming home after work, there was around a foot to a foot and a half of snow in the road and she handled it just fine. I have the "Dawn Of Justice" edition Renegade with Nokian Nordman 5 SUV snow tires on her. :)

#15 ·
I'm in West Michigan, Muskegon Area, plenty of snow here to test in, my 2015 Renegade with the 2.4 FWD handles it just fine, I do have snow tires on it though. I test drove a 1.4 manual 4x4 last spring in the snow, it handle it great, just could not do the 6spd ultimately because of the wife and kids needing to also be able to drive it, so I sacrificed the 4x4 and and got the Auto and bigger engine, No regrets.

#17 ·
Hi, I have the same setup... 2015 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4, 6-speed.
I've had it since Feb 2016, picked it up from Roseville CJDR on Gratiot....very easy to work with.
I live right by you in Sterling Heights, have had no issues with the snow.
I've had 0 problems with it so far and I'm sitting about 11,000 miles.

#22 ·
My Wife's 4x4 Latitude does great in the snow. I like turning off all the traction control to at least make it a fun challenge! I drive a '97 Cherokee that might be better at plowing through snow, but as far as control, the Renny kills it. I can't get the Renny to really lose control but can make the Cherokee literally do circles. My one complaint about the Renegade is the darn parking brake. Not nearly as fun as pulling that handle on the '97 and fishtailing around a curve?

#23 ·
Got to play with my Renegade Sport 4x4 1.4L Manual in the snow today with a storm here in MA. City is waiting for the snow to stop before they plow/treat. Good 4 inches of stuff on the streets. The Jeep felt like it was glued to the road. Previous vehicle was a 2009 Ford Escape v6. Took the Renegade to hills I knew the Escape would have had problems with and the Renegade had no issues. Played with it in all the various modes (sand mode is fun on the snow!) and it is a blast.

#25 ·
...Previous vehicle was a 2009 Ford Escape v6. Took the Renegade to hills I knew the Escape would have had problems with and the Renegade had no issues. Played with it in all the various modes (sand mode is fun on the snow!) and it is a blast.
Is your Escape only FWD?

My mother in law has a 2002 FWD Escape in upstate NY without proper snow tires (its got M+S tri-peak ATV tires on it) and while not proper winter shoes, they are predictable and its easy to tell when the rear end will kick out but nothing it can't handle in up to ~1' of powder or iced over roads.

#24 ·
I like the way snow mode changes the feel of the steering, slows it down and seems heavier. We have had a good amount of snow today and the Renegade handled it great. Some people couldn't get up our driveway today but when I went out the Renegade accelerated on it's way up the hill, no slippage at all. Auto mode with 4 wheel lock goes pretty good too. Going to the beach tomorrow to check out the house and find some dirt roads that probably won't be plowed, looking forward to it.

#27 ·
lol nice atv !!!

the jeep handles realllly good in the snow - im with every1 else though - better tires will make it even more fun ..

i dont like the stock tires mine came with and even though they are good/new no wear at all - im changing them maybe tomoro or tuesday - im want the ko2's so lets hope the shop has them in stock !

i like the look of them and the ratings are pretty damn good i hear !

#30 ·
Our Renegade did great with about 11"of snow, even with stock tires(Kumho's). We have the 1.4T 4x4. We went on an hour long trip in a snowstorm, no issues.

Attachments

Reactions: OBXMan
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.