Should I buy a Renegade? - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Should I buy a Renegade?

My husband and I are looking into buying a 2016 or 2017 Jeep Renegade 2.4l automatic (we can't drive manual) to replace the 2011 Kia Soul we've been driving the past year. There's nothing wrong with our car, other than the fact that we don't technically own it or are making direct payments for it, as it's still his dads car who we just give money to for him to make the payment each month in his name. We want a new car so we can actually have it work towards our credit. We pay for the insurance and $300 a month for the car, and pay for any repairs needed, like recently paying $500 for all new tires and replacing a rim last month. We're tired of not actually owning the car we take responsibility for.

That being said, we love our Soul. It has just enough space for us, good mileage and good reliability. The reasons we aren't going with another Soul is because 1. We've never been a fan of how it looks 2. It sits lower than we like, and 3. We want to go with a bolder color. So basically, all aesthetic. We want a car with similar features as the Soul and from what we've researched the Renegade looks like a good match.

I have some questions and concerns about it though and would like to hear from people that have experience with it.

First question, how reliable has your Renegade been? Have you had to pay out for lots of repairs already while you've had it?

How does it handle? As far as steering, breaking, and acceleration go. I've heard a mixture of things but nothing from actual consumers.

Is the engine too loud? Our Soul is pretty quiet, but not silent. I've heard from people that it's pretty noisy, but I've also heard that when you're in the Renegade it's not that loud, as compared to the sound outside. I would be fine if it is this way, as long as it's not ridiculously loud inside the car. I've read that the 1.4 is a lot quieter than the 2.4, but since we won't have the option of the 1.4, I'm concerned about the noise level.

Lastly, how safe do you feel driving your Renegade? We're about to have a newborn in July and I don't want a car where I feel I have to be over cautious with everything. Always felt that way in my old buick, but not with our Soul.

Thanks for your feedback in advance x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
First off - I absolutely love my Jeep. I drive the 1.4L, so I can't answer most of your questions, but I would be remiss in not following up on something....

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. Having gone through the "younger years", I cannot stress how much stuff you will have in the car, between car seats, strollers, etc. My Rene is my "go to work" car and serves me well, but the truck/hatch is awfully small. My wife drives a Forester, which has considerably more space, but still barely fits the double stroller, etc. Since you are having your first child soon, I strongly encourage you to consider something with more space. Could you figure out a way to make the Renegade work .... possibly. But I would not recommend trying.

If you don't have all of the "stuff" that comes with a newborn, I'd suggest you borrow a stroller, car seat, etc., and take it to dealerships to see how easy/difficult it is to get these things in and out of the cars you are considering. Depending on where you live, maybe you can hit the Detroit/Chicago/LA auto shows and do it all in one visit.

Here is a good review from a "family" perspective:

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
You can do most of the research on all you items here in this forum. There are those who have and terrible problems with the Renegade, mostly 1st year buyers (2015). With any new vehicle there is always a chance that it might be a lemon. Do your research, test drive multiple times. Understand what it is and what it is not. Look the vehicle over and have dealer correct any mechanical or cosmetic items before you sign the contract. It has a quirky transmission, it not fast off the line and it is not as capable as a Wrangler. If you can live with those things then you will be happy. Love mine but time will tell with long term reliability.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
mine has been very solid
unless your driving the brand new Soul with a turbo the BU is an upgrade in almost all ways.

2015 Cherokee TH (FCA bought back)gone like the wind
2016 Renegade TH is here
2015 Audi SQ5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 02:37 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a trouble-free 2015 TH. I'm not going to answer your specific questions, but I'll give you sooner advice and a recommendation. It's been a long time since I've had to haul around kids, but my children have 15 month old twins and I can tell you that there isn't enough room in the Renegade for all the great they have to carry. With one baby, you should be able to squeeze what you need to carry to go a couple of hours for a day trip, but unless you get a roof top carrier I really don't think you'll be able to carry what you'll need to spend a night or weekend. It sounds like you're thinking the Jeep will be your primary or only vehicle. If that's the case, my grandfatherly advice is to look for something with more carrying capacity. The three of you will be much more comfortable.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for your responses. Our problem is that we hate large SUVs and vans. Hate the style (too "mom"-ish lol) and hate how they drive. We're definitely more for the smaller vehicles and wanted something that still had some style. We had basically agreed that the Soul was about as big as we want to go. I know with having a new baby, storage will be important. Does anyone have any recommendations of smaller vehicles with adequate storage space? I've been looking around but can't seem to find anything that catches my eye as much as the Renegade does.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:29 PM

First Name: Peter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraggieSilver View Post
Thanks for your responses. Our problem is that we hate large SUVs and vans. Hate the style (too "mom"-ish lol) and hate how they drive. We're definitely more for the smaller vehicles and wanted something that still had some style. We had basically agreed that the Soul was about as big as we want to go. I know with having a new baby, storage will be important. Does anyone have any recommendations of smaller vehicles with adequate storage space? I've been looking around but can't seem to find anything that catches my eye as much as the Renegade does.
I have a early 2015 (March) 1.6CRD Limited here in the Uk that is coming up to 20 000 miles and have loved every bit of the 6000 miles I have put on the clock in the last 7 or so months of ownership - my Jeep was an ex rental so it was 13 months old when I got it and had done close on 14 000 miles and you know the type of abuse a rental can have in a short space of time.

Before getting my Renegade I had looked at a Mini Countryman and even the Clubman ( new shape) and found that value for money the Renegade won hands down. Slightly better spec ( heated seats and wheel ) for a lot less money than the Mini

The mini is about the one only other vehicle I can think of that comes in your requirement besides the Kia - Do you get the Skoda Yeti where you are - thats very much a Kia Soul size and quite good too. The other is the 500X (Fiat ) that the renegade shares parts and underpinnings.

I love the ride in my Renegade the 1.6 has enough get up and go for me and I have no real need for 4 wheel drive

Best thing I can say is take one for a drive - I did and was sold on it within 5 mins of being behind the wheel. An hour or so later I was signing the paperwork.

Good luck with the little one and happy motoring in what ever you choice - but you cant go too wrong in a Jeep :-D

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpraggieSilver View Post
You might want to check out the Crosstrek.

I hear ya regarding small vehicles and styling. That's one of the reasons I bought the Rene. Again, I would recommend you take a car seat and umbrella stroller to the dealerships when you look, to get a realistic sense of whether and how they fit. Maybe you can make it work!?!

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:50 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Garage
Congratulations on the newborn. I have an early 2015 Trailhawk (built January 2015) and it has been flawless. I only have 11,500 miles on it since I have three vehicles to use. I like how it drives. It certainly isn't a powerhouse, but it can get out of its own way.
I'm a conservative driver and get reasonable fuel mileage (22-25 city and 28-32 highway). If you're hard on the gas, the number may be lower than you expect (as it would be on any car).
The engine isn't Honda quiet, but the sound isn't intrusive as far as I'm concerned. The 9-speed works well and has a manual mode. There is a relatively steep hill on my way to work every morning and the transmission "likes" to hold a lower gear causing the engine to stay around 3000-3500 rpm -- this is slightly annoying. But this is easily fixed by bumping the shifter over to manual mode and shifting to a higher gear or two bringing the rpm's down to a more reasonable 2,500 rpm which is then quieter.
Good luck with your purchase. I'm glad I purchased my Renegade. The looks by far are better than any of the other SUVs out there.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 01:52 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Garage
. . . And see if your dealer will let you take one out for an extended test drive so both you and your husband get a chance to drive it. Find some hills, bumpy city streets, and some highway. You'll then know if you like how it drives.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page