Deciding between standard & automatic - Jeep Renegade Forum
 14Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Deciding between standard & automatic

Hello all - I am a new member, have been coveting a Renegade since they were released, and am finally in a position where buying one makes sense. I'm probably looking at a Latitude, given my wants/needs and price point.

I currently drive a peppy little manual transmission 2007 impreza, and so when I went to look at the Renegade I assumed I would get a standard again - I was surprised by how few are available. Particularly with MySky!

That said, I could order one from the factory. The dealer near me has a policy of charging $500 over invoice for factory orders, plus they will give you any dealer incentives offered at this time. The "dream" car I designed with them is an manual transmission anvil latitude 4x4 with MySky power & heated seats.

Here is my quandary - the dealer is quoting me a 9 month or so wait time for factory orders, and I'm not a very patient person once I decide that I'm ready to make a leap. PLUS I've gotten a bit spoiled driving our other car in the winter - it's a newer Honda Pilot and because it's an automatic, it has remote start - a big plus in the winter time. PLUS there's a 2016 automatic Latitude 4x4 on the lot with heated seats and power mysky in charcoal (an acceptable color) that is priced to sell and I imagine I could negotiate an even better deal, or at least lots of goodies thrown in - makes ownership even more affordable.

All this is to say that I'm left struggling with whether waiting for the manual transmission is worth the wait, particularly given that a)there's a great car on the lot that I could get for a great price AND b) I'd be sacrificing having the remote start (in new england winters).

I have gone back and read through some of the past threads and it seems like there are advantages and challenges with both transmissions. Some people have posted about premature clutch burnout in the manual. Those driving the automatic report sluggish shifting (and when I drove the automatic I did think it felt a bit sluggish). Am I missing anything else I should be considering as I weigh the options?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Last edited by aimhart; 01-10-2017 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I don't have any problems with my automatic transmission.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM
JFS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
See if your area has laws against non-attended cars idling.
aimhart likes this.

Jon
2015 Sport manual, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Boy, that's a tough one. I am driving the Rene that you have your eye on (sans color - mines Granite). I roll around in the Latitude, manual, with MySky and the Cold weather group. It's great - I love it, especially in the cold Chicago winters, and I love the MySky in the summer. But, a dealer near me had the exact model I wanted at a pretty darn good price. Have you used jeep.com to build your and look for one locally? You can put in all of your criteria - in fact, I believe you can build a 2017 manual with the cold weather package AND the remote start. Given where you are in the country, there could be one 100 or so miles away ..... just an idea.

If that doesn't work, I guess you'll have to decide how bad you want a manual. It is a hoot to drive, but probably hurts your resale, and doesn't save on gas mileage, given the recommendation for 91 octane. There have been a couple of posts about premature clutch burnout, but I don't think it's really an issue. Most folks with the manual seem really pleased.

My suggestion, if you haven't done so yet - go to a dealer with a manual Latitude (doesn't matter if its not the one you want) and drive the manual and Automatic for a while, and see what you like. See if you really, really like the manual and want to intensify your search. Good luck!
aimhart likes this.

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
I always preferred manuals over automatics but as I aged I started having trouble with my left hip and doctor said "no more manual vehicles, very bad for the hip". So reluctantly I started purchasing automatics and never looked back!!
aimhart likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I think the manual and turbo combo is awesome! I decided to go manual again after 6 years of very non-exhilarating automatic CVT to boot. While I loved the car, I despised the lack of power or punch. This is my first turbo, and what a pleasant surprise it's been so far. I'm hooked, and with the manual this little beast has way more punch than past cars with a litre or more volume. Also, I'm not fully convinced the 9 gear auto is fully proven out. Still see way to many failures for my taste.
aimhart likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Doin' fine with the auto. Thanks! To each one's own.
aimhart likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Garage
First, I doubt that ordering from the factory will take 9 months. That dealer wants to sell one of his units off the lot. It's likely 16 weeks. Some have received their Renegade sooner. Sometimes an alert dealer will find the exact optioned Renegade you ordered somewhere else and get it for you much more quickly.

Second, if you really want a manual transmission, you will always kick yourself if you get the automatic. I wanted a manual but wanted the Trailhawk model which isn't available with a manual. My other car is a manual so I at least have that for a "fun to drive" car.

Drive both an auto & manual before your order and then decide which you like better.
rsanges and aimhart like this.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
agree with 16 week wait time. It can even come faster mine was about 3 months
aimhart likes this.

2015 Cherokee TH (FCA bought back)gone like the wind
2016 Renegade TH is here
2015 Audi SQ5

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Personally I'd be disappointed without either MySky and the Manual. Both of these make me a happy driver.

My suggestion is to search around for a 2016 manual 75th edition. MySky was standard in the 75th, and I'd hope you could still find one out there with a manual.
Newadventurer and aimhart like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page