Jeep Renegade Forum banner

hitch based motorcycle carrier?

14K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  i86hotdogs 
#1 ·
I've seen all these pictures with Wranglers with hitch mounted motorcycle carriers on them.

I'd really like to do something like this, as I have 2 motorcycles that I wouldn't mind taking with me for certain trips to do riding at the destination. The one motorcycle is less than 300 lbs, the other one is about 425 lbs with fuel.

All I see with the Renegades are bicycle carriers!

Has anyone tried this or seen it done with a motorcycle? I wonder how the Renegade would handle it.

I'm still looking for the right new vehicle for me, so far the Renegade is at the top of my list.

Thanks for any help/ideas,

moto joe

#4 ·
I believe he's talking about the hitch carriers that keep the bikes off the ground. Not a trailer.

I'd never try a dual hitch carrier with that heavy of bikes. I do believe they make dual carriers that you just mount the front wheels into and the rear wheels of the motorcycle stay on the road. You might want to look into those, or go with a trailer. 700 lbs of tongue weight only is way too much.

#7 ·
The tongue weight limit isn't just mechanical, there's how much weight you can put on the hitch before you start dangerously unloading the front suspension and causing handling issues.

I've uses a hitch rated at IIRC 180lbs on an ATV to haul a tongue weight WAY over 200 lbs. But that wasn't going to be moving more than a couple hundred yards a pop.

#12 ·
Hey there,

I am currently working to put together a set up for my Renny. I want to haul my Honda Ruckus (50cc scooter), which weighs about 200lbs. I picked up a motorbike carrier today, and scheduled thurdsday to have the hitch installed. Ill update you on the progress come thursday.

#13 ·
the class 3 drawtite hitch from etrailer.com would work just fine for you. tongue weight on it is 675lbs.
with the 6 massive bolts that secure it to the frame (2 horizontal and 1 vertical one each side) it will handle the weight no problem .
a plus if you have a trailhawk, the factory bolts are already there and even bigger than the ones that come with the hitch. this makes install time like 15 minutes.

Attachments

#14 ·
Hitch rating doesn't matter

There is some serious bad info being spread in this thread. The tongue weight rating on the hitch doesn't matter. What matters is that the Renegade itself is only rated for 200 lb tongue weight. It's a short, lightweight vehicle. Any more than 200 lbs hanging off the back end and you could seriously affect the traction and driveablity. So, again, it doesn't matter if the hitch is rated at 200 lbs, 500 lbs or 24 tons tongue weight. If you hang 400 or 500 lbs off of the back of a Renegade, you are way exceeding the vehicle specs and are asking for trouble.

#15 ·
Update

Update: I've installed the hitch, and purchased a motorcycle carrier from craigslist. After assembling everything together, it really lowers the butt of the Renny! The weight of my 50cc scooter is about 200lbs wet, estimated total weight on the hitch is about 250-275 lbs. I wouldnt recommend long distances driving this, but I drove about 30 minutes to a lakehouse with only one occurence of it scraping the ground. Perhaps with an adequate lift kit, and upgraded coils and shocks, you'd have more clearance. I'll add more photos later in the week showing the rear squat and more detailed look at the clearance.

Attachments

#16 ·
(Posted on another thread) Heres more images of my set-up. I purchased a dual hitch extender from harbor freight, and use the upper slot to give me some more height. It squats the Renny pretty low. I drove from Detroit to Chicago last weekend and had once instance of the carrier bottoming out. In the future, I would purchase a lighter weight, more balanced carrier so it wont hang to the left like it is. But overall, I like this set-up for my Ruck!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.