• 1 Post By dgr401
  • 1 Post By ridders
  • 2 Post By phild

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Wheel Arch Access Panel

This is the panel that you open within the wheel arch in order to change the sidelights, DRLS etc.

Just found that I have the passenger side access panel missing. Probably came loose and as now long gone.

So I visit the dealership and ask the parts dept to order a new panel. They said its not possible as that part is unavailable to buy as it doesn't exist. They said the only way to fix it is to pay for a whole new wheel arch costing £78 ($97) I thought they were joking!!!

Is it really not possible just to buy an access panel. Any ideas what i can do to fill the gap as i am not shelling out for the whole wheel arch for the sake of a bit of plastic.

2.0 Diesel 140bhp Limited 4x4 Manual Glacier Metallic Function Packs 1 & 2 Visibility pack. Panoramic Sunroof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Make one yourself?
I took one of mine off at the weekend to look at the parking sensors that were playing up. Flimsy...
There's two clips that are splayed apart with plastic screws that holds it in on one side, the other side is a plastic 'lip'. It's just a bit of plastic, so I am sure somehow you could make some out of a black plastic and screw in with self tappers. You can take a look at the other side to see what it looks like.

Here's a thought, Have you tried ringing breakers?
phild likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. The issue has had me scratching my head on what to use to cover the gaping hole due to the lost panel and the screws that attached it.

No breaker yard as had a renny or a 500x in as they are fairly new models so no luck there. I therefore took to making one as you suggested. Not as easy at first as there is no way I can fix a nut and bolt into the holes as you cannot get behind the makeshift panel i made

I used a black vinyl floor tile. Cut it to shape and it having adhesive on the rear it managed to stick ok. In the meantime i am still trying to figure out what i could use to secure the tile through the two holes that had those screws that secured the original access panel.

2.0 Diesel 140bhp Limited 4x4 Manual Glacier Metallic Function Packs 1 & 2 Visibility pack. Panoramic Sunroof.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 12:36 PM

First Name: Dennis
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phild View Post

I used a black vinyl floor tile. Cut it to shape and it having adhesive on the rear it managed to stick ok. In the meantime i am still trying to figure out what i could use to secure the tile through the two holes that had those screws that secured the original access panel.
How about using pop rivets? I've used them a few times on different applications and they worked great. They are available in different lengths and diameters.
phild likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue

Last edited by dgr401; 03-23-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Theres a thought, I will have a look in the local hardware store and check out what might work, thanks

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Love the floor tile - great idea!

These clips look like they might do the job
http://www.halfords.com/workshop-too...n-clips-160pcs
phild likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Cheers rids, yep they look like they will do the job. Thanks again for your assistance hopefully i will get a pic up on here to reveal my handiwork!!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/for...1&d=1490395969
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0219.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	2396324106  
dgr401 and Robot Penguin like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page