Goodbye Renegade - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Goodbye Renegade

After owning my 2015 Latitude for only 10 months I have traded it in. I loved my little Jeep but it was problem plagued from the word go. I purchased it used with only 9k miles on it and in the time I've owned it it has been in the shop 11 times. Granted not all of the issues were the Jeeps fault and I don't believe in curses or the such but it was getting out of hand. In the less than one year I owned it I had;

Sway bars replaced
Attempt to diagnose a weird issue with the dome lights staying on after engine shut off (never found solution)
Driver's seat repaired (wasn't locking in place properly)
Attempt to diagnose a weird issue with the dome lights staying on after engine shut off (different Jeep dealer, never found solution)
Sprayed by a gravel truck who didn't see me (spent two weeks in the body shop)
3 minutes and 35 seconds after I got it back from the body shop I got rear ended at a red light (two more weeks in the body shop)
A tire blow out on the highway (not the Jeep's fault I know but there is no spare tire which blows my mind considering it is a JEEP)
Sway bars replaced again
Strut mounts replaced

This Jeep was my daily driver, I never took it off-roading, never abused it in anyway, it was my daily commuter. After all of these issues and dealing with less than professional reps at the local Jeep dealerships I had enough and traded it in for a 2017 Subaru Forester, better gas mileage, more room, more ground clearance, and biggest of all peace of mind.

2015 Renegade
Latitude 4x4
1.4L Turbo
Manual 6 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:12 PM

First Name: Mike
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Sorry to hear about your problems. Good luck with your next ride.

MikeP
2017 Jetset Blue Renegade Sport 4X4
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Check your spare tire (hint you don't have one in the forester either).

I will also point out that most of what you are describing is vehicle agnostic. Getting hit by other things is not a matter of make or model.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

My Forester actually does have a spare tire, and I'm aware that not everything on my list can be blamed on the Jeep, but it all contributed to my decision to get rid of it.

2015 Renegade
Latitude 4x4
1.4L Turbo
Manual 6 Speed
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
How much of a bath did you end up taking on it?

My Rene has been in the shop all week, no loaner provided. I'm starting to consider my next step options if things continue down the path of not getting resolved.

The sense that I got from my most recent dealership visit, is that the service people seem to be frustrated as well, because they're there in the face of upset customers, but seem to have their hands tied in being able to determine, diagnose, or repair the reported problems.

After doing some research yesterday, to try and help the dealership, so they can better help me, I ran across this website.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Jeep/Renegade/2015/

It was enlightening to see the exact same problems I was trying to describe to the dealership I was observing, were so well documented by others already.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

I came across that same website when I was contemplating keeping it or not, I also came across a youtube video of a Renegade owner who was having serious electrical problems and claims of the engine shutting off entirely when in heavy rain.
Granted this appears to with the European version but at this point I'm not taking any chances and the comments were none too reassuring. I was about $2500 underwater on it for the trade in but even that was not enough to deter me from making the change.

2015 Renegade
Latitude 4x4
1.4L Turbo
Manual 6 Speed
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Good Lord! What a mess. Reminds me of my old '85 Buick Riviera. Yes, a loft of your things were just bad luck (same as with my Rivi), but sometime it seems like a vehicle is just unlucky. I was relieved when I traded in the Rivi; here's hoping you have better luck with the Forester!

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jeeper View Post
My Forester actually does have a spare tire, and I'm aware that not everything on my list can be blamed on the Jeep, but it all contributed to my decision to get rid of it.
Donut? Because I sold my friend a spare wheel I had after selling my legacy for his spare.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
Donut? Because I sold my friend a spare wheel I had after selling my legacy for his spare.
Yeah, it's a mini spare but I'll still take that over a tire repair kit that ruins your tire in the long run. I live in Alaska, it's not a question of if you get a flat, it's more a question of when.
srino likes this.

2015 Renegade
Latitude 4x4
1.4L Turbo
Manual 6 Speed

Last edited by New Jeeper; 06-16-2017 at 04:01 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hey I live in Alaska too - have been lurking here for a spell, considering the Renegade but very quickly convincing myself to keep my '08 Wrangler or look elsewhere...I personally think you did the right thing, based on the multitude of issues these cars have. I see lots of them around town here in Anchorage, though. And of course, about a billion Foresters. Good vehicles!
New Jeeper likes this.

currently drives:
2008 Steel Blue Wrangler X Unlimited
but considering 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
(sick of Wrangler Forums, bunch of rude pretentious folk)
Also owns a 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200 scooter...fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page