Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Clicking noise when I press the brakes

30K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  ARCO6 
#1 ·
So I just got my car back from the dealer for faulty locks. They just unplugged and replugged the battery.

It works now. However, i now notice that when the car is turned on but the engine isn't running and I press the brake there is a loud clicking noise by the gearshift and steering wheel.

It's kind of annoying and i don't believe I've ever heard it before. Anyone else have this problem? What is it? Can it be fixed?

#2 ·
You're likely hearing the shift lever interlock. It prevents you from shifting out of park until you step on the brake.

I'd bet it always made that noise but you never noticed it before. You might be more sensitive to "noises" since you had the lock problem.

#3 ·
I'd agree with this. I've also noticed how obvious it is on different cars is model dependent. My current car is silent unless you put some tension on the shifter. I had a rental that made a serious thunk when it disengaged. My wife's last car made a click like a 1970s turn signal solenoid.

#4 ·
Clicking noise

Forgive my ignorance, my last car was a 2013 Prius so I am not used to mechanical noises. When I put my foot on the break in the Renegade and enter park or drive, I hear a clicking noise behind the steering wheel. I didn't notice it at first. Just checking and making sure that is normal! Thanks guys!

#8 ·
#5 ·
Hi,

Interesting that I should find this thread here now. I was just about to create one about this same issue.

I've had my Trailhawk for 7 weeks, have started it up probably 100 times
and just yesterday noticed that same thing.

It didn't take long to figure out that it's solenoids clicking in and out for the shifter and steering wheel locks but never the less it's puzzling to me why this was the first time I heard it.

Glad to hear it's normal.

#13 ·
There is a TSB that may be related to your lock concern, Rece.

TSB 23-030-15

SUBJECT:
Door Noises And/Or Door Functions Inoperative

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting all mechanical and electrical functions of all doors.

MODELS:
2015 (BU) Jeep Renegade

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles within the following markets/countries: NAFTA, LATAM

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or before February 24, 2015 (MDH 0224XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may describe noises coming from one or more of the doors and/or loss of functionality to one or more of the door handles, locks, windows, lamps, and mirrors.

#11 ·
On the renegade, if you keep doing it with the car turned off, it keeps getting louder to a point as the e-e-brake takes up slack or whatever it is doing that makes the pedal height increase slightly. You also start hearing the ignition interlock as that happens.

It can be a bit noisy, but it is normal.

#14 ·
Brake Transmission Shift Interlock clicking sound

OK this is about the clicking noise that happen when you step on the brake. The noise is coming from the Trans shift lever. The 'click' is the release mechanism that allow you to shift the lever out of Park etc...

I just notice it was pretty robust sound, and my hand happened to be on the shift lever so I can feel the mechanism working. Now I was wondering if everyone's is the same. The actuation is very robust feeling.

I'm just wondering if its always been there and I never noticed it or did it all of a sudden got loud LOL. Everything works fine, no problems but I just notice the noise now. Maybe it's just my imagination hehehe.

#15 ·
OK this is about the clicking noise that happen when you step on the brake. The noise is coming from the Trans shift lever. The 'click' is the release mechanism that allow you to shift the lever out of Park etc...

I just notice it was pretty robust sound, and my hand happened to be on the shift lever so I can feel the mechanism working. Now I was wondering if everyone's is the same. The actuation is very robust feeling.

I'm just wondering if its always been there and I never noticed it or did it all of a sudden got loud LOL. Everything works fine, no problems but I just notice the noise now. Maybe it's just my imagination hehehe.
For what it's worth, there is no TSB or anything similar released regarding this type of noise. If it's something that gets worse, or you experience any other possible symptoms, I would have a dealership check it out.

#17 ·
Click when applying brake in park

Maybe this has been going on all along, but thought I'd ask, because I just noticed it at over 6k miles. If I'm in Park and my hand is on the shifter and I press the brake to shift to Drive, then I can feel and hear the locking mechanism disengage. Anyone else notice this? Makes me worry that it's wearing or loose and will fail soon, but could just be that I never noticed it before.

#19 ·
I see that now. Thanks, and thanks to whoever moved me to the right thread. I didn't think to look in the Tires, Wheels, and Brakes section. :)

#21 ·
So I just got my car back from the dealer for faulty locks. They just unplugged and replugged the battery.

It works now. However, i now notice that when the car is turned on but the engine isn't running and I press the brake there is a loud clicking noise by the gearshift and steering wheel.

It's kind of annoying and i don't believe I've ever heard it before. Anyone else have this problem? What is it? Can it be fixed?
I also start hearing it at mid June, first time car was in neutral, then I notice it would happen also in park. Been told is normal, (BS) never heard that click on any car before.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.