Electronic Parking Brake-how does it work? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 12Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Electronic Parking Brake-how does it work?

The Renegade comes with an electonic parking brake as standard equipment, as does the new Cherokee. I don't know if both models use the same system or not, however, that is immaterial to my question (I think): How do these electronic brake systems work? Are they electrically powered on, or off, and what happens if there is a power failure, battery disconnected, car inactive for awhile? Does anyone have some real world experience to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Salesman (one whom I can trust) says that for the 2015 model year, new safety features have been added. You can now use the electronic brake as an old fashioned emergency brake if you need to without fear of locking the brakes completely up and crashing. There is an electric solenoid that activates the brakes when you flip the lever. As far as real world daily experience, you should search the Cherokee forums and ask owners there...they can tell you if they like the system or not. Personally, I think it could potentially have lots of advantages, like no more cables that can freeze, stick, and break. No more adjustments needed periodically. Less complexity to changing brake shoes/pads. That kind of thing.
CalTom, LittleRedJeep and Jeep Jon like this.

YJ, 2 KJs, ZJ, 2 JKUs, and a WJ... all got modded for offroad travel
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:19 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WXman View Post
Salesman (one whom I can trust) says that for the 2015 model year, new safety features have been added. You can now use the electronic brake as an old fashioned emergency brake if you need to without fear of locking the brakes completely up and crashing. There is an electric solenoid that activates the brakes when you flip the lever. As far as real world daily experience, you should search the Cherokee forums and ask owners there...they can tell you if they like the system or not. Personally, I think it could potentially have lots of advantages, like no more cables that can freeze, stick, and break. No more adjustments needed periodically. Less complexity to changing brake shoes/pads. That kind of thing.
Great info WXman, thanks, good to understand how it works.
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
I would guess that the risks of electronics failures is probably less than the potential risks of the mechanical brake. I mean if it wasn't than I wouldn't see much use in Jeep making the change in the first place.
XCLR8TN likes this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I found this with Google from an FCA website:

Electric parking brake (EPB): Utilizes parking brake switch mounted in the center console, a motor on caliper (MOC) at each rear wheel and an electronic control module. Four modes of operation: static apply and release, dynamic apply, drive away release and safe hold

There are also several threads on the Cherokee forum (including a few oh-shits).
LittleRedJeep likes this.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Hello,
by my Renegade, the electric brake-switch was defect before 4 weeks. So I can not releasing the parking-brake with the switch. I must start the enginge and pull out the Renegade.
This method only works, when the Renegade is standing with his rear on a wall, not when he stand with the front on a wall. ;-)
The spare part takes 2 weeks an the integration takes 1 hour. Anyway the issure was free for me.
Regards, Marian

Sorry for my badly english :-(
saltire and LittleRedJeep like this.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsix View Post
The Renegade comes with an electonic parking brake as standard equipment, as does the new Cherokee. I don't know if both models use the same system or not, however, that is immaterial to my question (I think): How do these electronic brake systems work? Are they electrically powered on, or off, and what happens if there is a power failure, battery disconnected, car inactive for awhile? Does anyone have some real world experience to share?
About electric failure.
European hand book (in English), page 101:

"IMPORTANT Should the vehicle battery be faulty, to unlock the electric parking
brake the battery must be replaced."
Jeep Jon likes this.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardmr View Post
About electric failure.

That means to me the brake works on an open circuit. So it must need power to keep from engaging the brakes.... That would make sense then if the Jeep sits for a period of time or the battery dies it wont going rolling down a hill or something.
Jeep Jon likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
About electric failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
That means to me the brake works on an open circuit. So it must need power to keep from engaging the brakes.... That would make sense then if the Jeep sits for a period of time or the battery dies it wont going rolling down a hill or something.

Or the brake works with a motor like a screw. Motor screws forward to engage and motor screws in reverse to disengage.

2013 Grand Cherokee 3.6 Trailhawk (WK2) Current
2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7 Laredo (WJ)
2002 Liberty 3.7 Limited (KJ)
2000 Wrangler 4.0 Sport (TJ)
1993 Wrangler 4.0 Base (YJ) [Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree 7 Times]
1990 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)
1989 Wrangler 2.5 Base (YJ)

~~~_______oooo_
~~ / ../...\...\_____\
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
The electronic parking brake engage automatically when the car is turned off. So the day the battery is dead, the car can not be moved. So we better have room in our garages to change the battery on site!
JFS and Jeep Jon like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page