Trailhawk All Terrain A/T Tire & Wheel Alternatives - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 61Likes

post #11 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Really nice work. Much appreciated.
Phil likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonN View Post
Ok - please educate me here. The Renegades all come with tires, right? Are the stock tires so bad that it's common to immediately go out and spend an extra $1000 or so on new ones? What do you then do with the brand new stock tires?
As that old Michelin commercial used to say, "there's a whole lot riding on your tires." Tires are the most important part of the vehicle. The ones Jeep uses as factory equipment are usually garbage. Take an unmounted Goodyear ST or SR-A tire and pinch the inner/outer sidewalls with your thumb and fingers...it'll scare you to death. I don't want that on a Jeep with my family inside and I especially don't want to take those off the pavement.

New tires are around $500 a set, then you sell your take-offs on craigslist for $250 and you end up spending $250 on the best upgrade you'll ever make to your Jeep. Ever. www.discounttiredirect.com
LonN likes this.

YJ, 2 KJs, ZJ, 2 JKUs, and a WJ... all got modded for offroad travel
post #13 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonN View Post
Ok - please educate me here. The Renegades all come with tires, right? Are the stock tires so bad that it's common to immediately go out and spend an extra $1000 or so on new ones? What do you then do with the brand new stock tires?
Depends on the tires. my subaru came with the bridgestone potenza re92 (or RE92A forget which was the "special" oem coding). I've never in my life driven on more scary tires in the wet (lateral traction? what's that?), and I've bought cheap non-name store brand tires as a youngster. I ate the $500 and the tire store did whatever they wanted with them.

Car before that, OEM was a perfectly OK tire, but I wanted different wheels and tires. SO I took them off early, and slapped them back on when I sold the car.

The other option is to have the tire shop pull the tires off, and put the tires online cheap on a model specific forum, or your local craigslist or whatever. If you are not using the wheels either, hold onto them and keep an eye on the WTB. Someone WILL be messing up their OEM wheels, and they will need replacements and givien the absurd price of OEM replacements form the manufacturer, they are worth some decent cash. For example, my subaru, I had a blowout due to a too delicate tire brand vs. NJ potholes at highway speeds, and ate a wheel in the process. Cost to replace was about $300. THe businesses that specialize in selling used OEM wheels wanted about $240. You could move them as fast as you wanted at about $160 a pop on subie forums after the car was on sale for about a year.
LonN likes this.

post #14 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The tyres installed OEM in Renegade Trailhawk have better fuel efficiency than, for example, Yokohama Geolandar G012 that are rated "F" for fuel efficiency (European Union tyre label).
post #15 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAB View Post
The tyres installed OEM in Renegade Trailhawk have better fuel efficiency than, for example, Yokohama Geolandar G012 that are rated "F" for fuel efficiency (European Union tyre label).
Your correct, A/T tires will reduce your fuel mileage. If you want a Trailhawk for its looks alone or to take on some mild dirt roads or trails the OEM tires will be fine for you.

If you want to go on more challenging offroad routes, deeply rutted, washed out trails, rocks or boulders you need more agreesive treads on your tires. This also helps to keep your tires intact on the wheels when you hit a sharp rock or tree stump as many tires with agreesive treads have heavier sidewalls.

It really comes down to how and where you want to USE your Trailhawk.
twospirits likes this.
post #16 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Do we know for sure if any larger tire would void the warranty? Even if it's around 3% bigger?
post #17 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyfirehouse View Post
Do we know for sure if any larger tire would void the warranty? Even if it's around 3% bigger?
They can't specify replacement parts. Even for tires labeled exactly the same, there are a range of actual measured diameters despite the sidewall label. On top of that, the OEM selection of tires on the same drive train from the factory are fairly different. On top of THAT, there just aren't that many choices of tires that will fit at all.

I think the reality is that without a lift kit, you won't have a choice of something likely to cause debate of the subject.

With a lift, if a lift is a thing one can get done on the renegade, it will not void the warranty on anything other than stuff immediately affected by the lift, wheels, and tires.

A quick example of a few scenarios.

You do a lift with bigger tires, strut spacers, and wheel spacer to get everything to fit. It looks hella cool, but...

a) your air conditioner stops working. They can't deny because your changes have nothing to do with that.
b) your wheel bearings die a very early death. They can and should deny that, because with spacers you changed the offset of your wheels and thus increased stress on the thrust bearings. You might get away with it, but the most likely culprit is your modification of the vehicle, and a denial is justified.
c) You hit a vicious pothole and your suspension mount rips through the body. They'll deny you lift kit or no, because you struck something. Lift kit has nothing to do with the denial, even if the lift kit was designed like crap and exacerbated the situation.
d) The car keeps on overheating. This would depend on the design of the vehicle. Bigger tires can make the tranny and engine work harder. That could lead to overheating, especially if the design of the vehicle uses the radiator to cool the transmission fluid. However, they should perform diagnostics and warn you you will be billed if it is related to the modifications. If they find a bum circuit breaker or fusible link is causing the fan to not cycle properly, that is MUCH more likely to be the culprit and should be warrantied as it has nothing to do with your modifications. Similar if they find a coolant leak that doesn't look to have been caused by the monkeys who installed your kit. If they find something they can argue is the result of faulty work, it's not warrantable, you need to take it up with the hack who damaged your vehicle.

You want a fully intact warranty, don't mess with stuff too much.
post #18 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyfirehouse View Post
In order for a warranty to be void, the dealer has to PROVE that a failure was cause by an aftermarket part. Out of all the stuff I have done/ seen done/ have had friends do in all my years of over 25 years on modifying cars- I have never see a warranty voided over tires. Now suspension alterations, intakes, programmers, pulley's, down pipes, fuel injectors and what not yes, but never tires.
post #19 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Thanks guys, I'm really hoping to not mess with it much, probably drive stock tires for a bit and then maybe see how I feel about ~29" tires. Would I need a lift or anything for that slight of a size bump? Sorry, I don't know much about car mods but I'm excited for this thing!
post #20 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-24-2015, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
The bigger problem is finding rims that aren't ricer rims that have a 5X110MM bolt pattern. I want these or something close but none are made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page