Trailhawk All Terrain A/T Tire & Wheel Alternatives - Jeep Renegade Forum
 61Likes

post #1 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Trailhawk All Terrain A/T Tire & Wheel Alternatives

Tire Size Alternatives

With the release of the Trailhawk close at hand and no sign of the promised Falken WildPeak A/T 215/65R17 tires I went searching for possible alternative A/T tire sizes for the Trailhawk, since the stock 215/65R17 is an uncommon size. Perhaps Falken is just running behind schedule with their development and they will be available soon?

I’ve searched dozens of tire sizes, brands and models. This first thing I learned using the 1010tires.com Tire Size Calculator was this pop-up warning:

Quote:
WARNING!
When changing tire sizes, we recommend staying within 3% of the diameter of the original tire. Any more than this and you face the risk of brake failure.
So I present the Trailhawk Alternative Tire Size Analysis, PLEASE READ the Analysis Table Notes, in the next post.

--Another Trailhawk Tire Info Thread:
Wheels and Tire Specs

Last edited by Lackadazikal; 08-28-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Added a link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Analysis Table Notes:

(1) Stock Trialhawk Tire Size is 215/65R17.

(2) Best Fit to Avoid getting Jeep Factory Warranty declared Void?

(3) The 225 size tire is .4" wider, .2" on the inner side that may cause rubbing.

(4) The 235 size will require New Rims or Wheel Spacers to avoid rubbing.

(5) 1010tires Recommends to be +/- 3% in Diameter Variance to your stock tires:

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r17-215-70r16

(6) The combined Tire and Wheel Weight, if it exceeds stock, may have a negative impact on drivetrain wear.

(7) Jeep lists the Falken Wildpeak in the Renegade literature and they claim it is being developed.
post #3 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Size Selection & Warranty

Beyond the 3% WARNING! Diameter Variance rule, discussed above, that I'm also concerned about any possible impacts to the 9-speed automatic transmission, suspension and drivetrain component wear, but that is just the beginning. I want to make sure I have NO Impact on: Comfort, Road Noise, Handling, Steering, Braking, Alignment or Tire Wear.

Well okay, of course, there will be some compromise from a highway tread tire, but I’m speaking of trade-off between different brands and models of All Terrain A/T tires.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY: NO Impact on the Jeep Factory Warranty
So after reviewing the information tire size alternatives, perhaps the Best Size Selection may be the 215/70R16, for the reason being it is the same width as the stock tire and it is .15 inches shorter that the stock 28" tire height. This may help from Jeep claiming a larger diameter tire size contributed to any warranty claims you may have and saying you voided your warranty.

post #4 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Lift

If you want to gain some Lift from larger/taller tires, the 225 or 235 will do it. However, what still has to be determined is will these sizes, on a stock Trailhawk, fit within the stock wheel wells?

Could you try for a taller 215 size tire, perhaps, what does your research show?

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-...BvpHDiGg.email

Again, the impact on your Jeep Factory Warranty, by running these size tires, needs to be determined.
post #5 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Size, Diameter and Offset

Depending on the tire size you select, if you have to buy new wheels you will lose the cool looking Trailhawk wheels, with the red Willy's on them, but that is the trade-off that has to be made. Perhaps a cool off-road rugged looking wheel will make the Trailhawk look even better.

So the next challenge is to find alternative 16” or 17” wheels, with the Renegade’s 5x110mm bolt pattern. The stock offset is ET40, but with the 225 or 235 tire size this may need to be different.

The Cherokee also uses the 5x110 bolt pattern so that may help when searching for alternative wheels.

Please post photos and links to any potential wheel alternatives you find.
post #6 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Best Brand & Model Tire for the Trailhawk

What is the Best Brand and model tire to choose for the Trailhawk? Well of course that is somewhat subjective, what combination are you looking for, Ride, Handling, Mileage?

For me, the Best combination of On-Road Comfort, Minimum On-Road Noise and Good Off-Road Traction. Review of surveys such as the one at Tirerack and others helps:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=ORAT

For example, in the 215/70R16 size, the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S has the Lowest Noise, Best Comfort and Good Dry Traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...wws=N&showcm=N

What Brand and model best fits your needs?
post #7 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I was looking at this stuff last week. It seems the Trailhawk tire size is just very unusual. Based on the fact that I won't be doing any rock crawling, I decided I may be better off going with the Latitude with the 1.4L turbo and that way I can get the 6-speed manual too.

The standard tire size on the manual Latitude is 215/65/16, and there are a ton of A/T tires available in that size including both the Yokohama Geolandar and General Grabber AT2. I think the Grabbers look like the better tire (I love the more rugged look), but I'd have to do some reading to determine which is best. But either way, you seem to have a lot of choice at that size.
post #8 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Ok - please educate me here. The Renegades all come with tires, right? Are the stock tires so bad that it's common to immediately go out and spend an extra $1000 or so on new ones? What do you then do with the brand new stock tires?
post #9 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonN View Post
Ok - please educate me here. The Renegades all come with tires, right? Are the stock tires so bad that it's common to immediately go out and spend an extra $1000 or so on new ones? What do you then do with the brand new stock tires?
I'm not sure about the trailhawk tires, but I suspect some folks want a more aggressive tire for off-roading.

As for me, I would get the trailhawk for sure if it came with the 1.4L turbo & manual transmission. But since it doesn't, I think I may get the Latitude and then throw some AT tires on it as the Latitude just comes with regular all season car tires and I want something more rugged.
LonN and XCLR8TN like this.
post #10 of 178 (permalink) Old 02-23-2015, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonN View Post
The stock Goodyear Wrangler SR-A® that come on the Trailhawk have a reputation for not being the longest lasting nor the best off-road traction, in the A/T class of tires. If Jeep is able to actually get Falken to come through with the promised WildPeak A/T tires we may be fine.

Some people also will go to a more aggressive or larger tire just because they think it looks better, hey, it's a Jeep!
LonN likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page