Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Fuel door dimple & Fuel Filler Cover

61K views 56 replies 31 participants last post by  puddlesplasher 
#1 ·
Has anyone noticed the little dimple on the fuel door of the Renegade? Was just wondering why that would be there?

#3 ·
Correct. You stick your finger in the dimple and push and quickly release. The door opens a little and then you can open it all the way.

I saw one in person over the weekend and tried the fuel door. It's a clever design but I wonder how it will holdup after five years in freezing weather. Time will tell.

#5 ·
My 93xj had a fuel door with no lever or button inside the cabin to push. I simply pushed on the fuel door and it opened. It was working after 22 years in Northwest Ohio, as far as I know its still working, I sold the Jeep recently.

I like it much better than having a lever to pull, I have a Toyota mr2 with a lever that pulls a cable. The cable broke, until I replaced the cable I had to reach between the tire and the fender, go up the body panel to manually open the fuel door.

#7 ·
While not as simple as my XJ, tis a pretty simple release mechanism which means less of a chance of failure. And thinking about it if it were to fail it would still be usable, hopefully.

Really hoping these suckers prove to be as reliable as my XJ.

#10 ·
Trouble with fuel cap

I had trouble trying to open the petrol cap whilst at a fuel station only yesterday. I'd had the car washed just before and I'm wondering if too much water had entered and the suction was too hard. I left it for a couple of hours and it seemed fine. Anyone else have this issue?

#12 ·
I had bought a 2015 TH that I traded in for a 2016 Limited and until I filled the gas tank the first time in the Limited I didn't know that there is suppose to be the rubber cap attached to the door that goes over the filler hole when you close the door. I would have never known and it never caused me any problems. Or was the rubber cap add to the 2016?

#23 ·
Out of curiosity, I checked under the gas door of a 2016 TH at a local Jeep dealer--no cap. Hmmm. It would seem to make a lot of sense, especially on a TH model (which, one assumes, might get a bit dusty on occasion).

I'll have to check for this when I get my own--if it is delivered without the rubber cap, I may insist they supply one for me.

#26 ·
I'm finding it very odd that this cap seems to be a somewhat arbitrary part. It may not be required, but dammit, as a "belt and braces" guy, I'd kinda like to have it. The better sealed my fuel tank is, the better; I kinda like the idea of having it capped.

As long as the cap has facility for venting, of course. Anyone with a cap having fuel tank venting issues?

#29 ·
Hmmmm. That cap thingy gives me an idea. I will keep my eye out for a simple rubber cap about that same size and just fit it on the filler neck. If I find the right size, it should just push on and stay there. With the filler door shut, it shouldn't fly off. That should keep out any contaminants. It won't have to be attached to the filler door.

Reactions: rsanges
#30 ·
My buddy's new 2016 Dodge Ram pickup truck has a little plastic cap that fits over the filler neck (which is equipped with the same type of "capless" system as the Renegade). I get the feeling that, although the engineers might feel the capless system is fine without a cover, many consumers (like me) might feel a bit more secure with a cap of some type in place.

#34 ·
If you want a cap for the filler try a cap off a Windex spray can that is 2 1/2" inside diameter. Fits perfect with no mod necessary. Gas door closes fine. I think the cap off any spray can with a 2 1/2" diameter would work, it looks like a lot of other spray cans. Even if you only use it offroad it sure is a lot better than spending the big bucks for a Mopar one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.