Cross bars for factory roof rack? - Page 3 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 81Likes

post #21 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianR383 View Post
I found some cheap universal cargo cross bars on ebay, they are whispbar knock offs. I read about them on a cherokee forum and they got good reviews. Just figured I would share.http://m.ebay.com/itm/351380903906?nav=SEARCH
Looks like they did a great job for knockoffs.

Make sure you measure right. The Cherokee has tapered rails that use different width bars than the renegade.

I'm sure that ebayer has the right size somewhere listed (if those weren't it). I want to say that the distance between our bars is 42" in front and 41" in back.
twospirits likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:29 AM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Garage
Has anyone purchased and installed the Wispbar cross bars on their Renegade? I really like the clean looking install. I assume the $429 is for a pair of bars, correct?

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #23 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbike View Post
Has anyone purchased and installed the Wispbar cross bars on their Renegade? I really like the clean looking install. I assume the $429 is for a pair of bars, correct?
Read carefully the listing for them wherever you buy, but ultimately, those aero ones range from around $175-250 for a single set. $425-ish sounds right for a pair.
bwbike likes this.

post #24 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAK325 View Post
Quote:
I found some cheap universal cargo cross bars on ebay, they are whispbar knock offs. I read about them on a cherokee forum and they got good reviews. Just figured I would share.http://m.ebay.com/itm/351380903906?nav=SEARCH
Looks like they did a great job for knockoffs.

Make sure you measure right. The Cherokee has tapered rails that use different width bars than the renegade.

I'm sure that ebayer has the right size somewhere listed (if those weren't it). I want to say that the distance between our bars is 42" in front and 41" in back.
Typically I'm not a fan of knock offs, but I think roof racks and cross bars a huge ripoff from the major companies. I just wish these came in black.
post #25 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Typically I'm not a fan of knock offs, but I think roof racks and cross bars a huge ripoff from the major companies. I just wish these came in black.
The only reservation I would have would be concerning the weight limits. It would be hard to question the integrity of Yakima and Thule's weight limits. There are lots of videos and evidence of the science and research that explains how they come up with those numbers.

I'm sure if you were conservative and sensible with how you used them, there wouldn't be an issue. But if you planned to put 140 lbs of weight on a generic brand's crossbars, you'd have to start thinking of where they cut costs during production.
post #26 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Saw this on Reddit yesterday - is this one of you guys??

post #27 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
Saw this on Reddit yesterday - is this one of you guys??

Ohio plates...

Gotta love those pool noodle crossbars.
LittleRedJeep likes this.
post #28 of 114 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAK325 View Post
Quote:
The only reservation I would have would be concerning the weight limits. It would be hard to question the integrity of Yakima and Thule's weight limits. There are lots of videos and evidence of the science and research that explains how they come up with those numbers.

I'm sure if you were conservative and sensible with how you used them, there wouldn't be an issue. But if you planned to put 140 lbs of weight on a generic brand's crossbars, you'd have to start thinking of where they cut costs during production.
There's an 18 page thread on one of the cherokee forums about those cross bars, I skimmed through most of the pages, some of the guys did some "durability" testing and they held up well, others have used them with cargo, roof baskets, etc.
PAK325 and rtravis1946 like this.
post #29 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I skipped the cross bars and mounted the Thule Snowcat ski rack, model #5401, directly to the side rails on my TH. These ones were only $199 on Amazon. They are sufficient for my use, since I only plan on putting fishing poles and skis/snowboards on the roof. Here is a pic, let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150430_174709.jpg
Views:	11780
Size:	394.6 KB
ID:	5865  
post #30 of 114 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
If you are wondering what the crossbars I posted look like, Rack Outfitters has my Trailhawk with the bars on their website now with a video! I have had these on the Renegade for week now and just made a 500 mile roundtrip with virtually no wind noise. Been looking at flood lights and a basket for the crossbars now.

http://www.directrss.co.il/TextPage_EN.aspx?ID=9391607

I tried uploading some pics myself but it doesn't look like they actually uploaded.
twospirits likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page