Where to tie down a Canoe? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 11Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Where to tie down a Canoe?

I have the Latitude w/ roof rails. I just purchased the Thule cross bars and am planning on putting the canoe upside down on the rails. My only concern is I don't seem to see an ideal place to tie down the front and rear of the canoe. I don't have the hooks that the TrailHawk comes with. Although next time I'm at the dealer (still need to get my plates) I will ask if I can buy the hooks and install them on my own.

Any tips/suggestions? Everything I saw in the manual was more geared towards towing, and I don't have a hitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
I have a Fiat 500L. On my front bumper there is a small cap on the drivers side. Inside that cap is where I can screw in a round tow hook that was used to transport my car from the factory. After it's delivered to a dealer they snap it into place in the styrofoam in the trunk that holds my jack, a spare tire inflator, a funnel and a screwdriver. I use that hook on the front end to tie down the front end of my kayaks. Unfortunately there is no such place for a tie down on the drivers side of my car or on a Renegade.

But the good news is that there is such a plug on the passenger side of all Renegades. Check out the attached picture. I pulled the cap off of a Renegade. Unfortunately I have not seen any of the transport hooks in the trunks of any Renegades. It really makes me wonder what the transport drivers do with all of those transport hooks after they deliver the Renegades to the dealers. Have not gotten around to asking a local dealer what happened to them. I tie two kayaks to the same hook on the front passenger side.

For the rear I just tie the straps to my trailer hitch. And to be honest I think it's overkill to even have them in the rear. If by chance the roof tie downs both came undone then the kayaks would slide back and would land in the road behind the car. That's why the front ones are needed more than the rear ones. The only time that the rear ones could be useful is if the roof top straps both came off and I slammed on the brakes. Under that situation it would stop them from going over the front end of the car. But before I could hit the brakes they would be on the road behind me if the front ones were not there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	7297  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 12:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Garage
thats not for Transport they are for towing your car when it is broken ... in the Back the "knobs" are in the Grids of the Bumper ... i just installed a Bullbar to tie things down ...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
In the european models there is also a point in the rear to screw the removable tow hook.
It is on the right side, under the right part of the small grid that there is over the exhaust pipe.

If one takes a look to the right grid it can be seen that there is a vertical enbossed line that it is not find on the left grid. The right side of grid flips horizontally to allow to insert the hook.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManEater666 View Post
thats not for Transport they are for towing your car when it is broken
The Renegade is can only be "towed" on a flatbed.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTom View Post
The Renegade is can only be "towed" on a flatbed.
Yeah, but you have to drag it on the flat bed with something. Which is what the tow hook is for.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

First Name: David
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
Yeah, but you have to drag it on the flat bed with something. Which is what the tow hook is for.
Good Point, but then the question becomes will tow truck operators know about that hidden insert tow hook compartment?

TS

Favorite Quote: The No is always there, you are just looking for the Yes.
Click for signature of Renegade Smileys
Spoiler
Jeep Renegade waving gif Smileys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Usually that removable tows are used here in Europe to help someone else when it is stuck, for example in snow or mud, or to be helped.
In Europe fixed front hooks are usually forbidden (pedestrian crash rules), for example european Renegade Trailhawk has no front hooks, only the rear one.

A Fiat Panda using rear removable hook.

tony likes this.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAB View Post
Usually that removable tows are used here in Europe to help someone else when it is stuck, for example in snow or mud, or to be helped.
In Europe fixed front hooks are usually forbidden (pedestrian crash rules), for example european Renegade Trailhawk has no front hooks, only the rear one.

A Fiat Panda using rear removable hook.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS__nJV0sV4
That would make sense, good to see Jeep added things that make the Renegade a true trail king for what it is.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Good Point, but then the question becomes will tow truck operators know about that hidden insert tow hook compartment?

TS
Yes it is pretty standard on most cars made in the last decade.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page