How to replace your front grill or remove the front bumper cover.. - Jeep Renegade Forum
 7Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Lightbulb How to replace your front grill or remove the front bumper cover..

So here's a thread on how to remove your front bumper cover and change your grill f you want.

I have a few more pictures I want to add but these are the main difficult bits.

It's around an hour job.

NB:VERY IMPORTANT!! You will have to remove the wheel arch flares to access two small hex screws which hold the side of the bumper cover in place. The wheel arch just pulls away but there are a number of 'push clips' used here to fasten the flare to the bodywork and they WILL snap!!! Make sure you order around 10 white and 4 green clips from Jeep before you start. Don't say I didn't warn you!

Remove all of the following

1) 5 large torx bolts along the top of the bumper cover under the hood. (pic to follow)

2) 4 press clips, 2 left and 2 right on the top of the grill above the headlights, use a flat screwdriver or similar and pull out. (pic to follow)

3) 7 medium sized torx bolts along underside rear of bumper cover (pic to follow) Note, you will NOT need to jack the car up. Just lie on the ground and wriggle under and look up underneath, you'll see them.

4) Turn the steering wheel full lock and remove the 2 philips screwes from the front inside of the wheel arch liner and the single philips from just underneath. (pic to follow) You do not need to remove any more of the liner than this.

Now the tender bit...proceed with slight caution!

5) Use a plastic automotive interior wedge or similar and lever back the bottom of the wheel arch fender. Apply increasing but consistant pressure until you pop off the first couple of plastic push rivots. They are pretty hard to get off. The first 4 are green and are less likely to snap.

6) Continue to pull back the flare...slowly... You will snap the first couple of white rivots but don't worry (so long as you have spares!!). You should see two philips screws - IGNORE THESE! They hold the two sections of the bumper together and you cannot seperate these two parts with the cover on the car.

7) You will see two small No.7 hex bolt/screws. You will need to pull the flare back far enough until you can undo both of these.

That is it! That's all the screws and bolts you need to remove to get the cover off.

8) Pull the wheel arch liner away and reach inside to unscrew the 3 lightbulbs on each side, indicators, fogs and day lights.

9) Now, pull the top of the grill fairly firmly toward you until you feel it pull away from over the headlights on both sides. Don't be scared, just keep pulling and it will give - it won't snap. Make sure you're pulling the grill only and not what it's connected to!

10) Next, grip behind the bumper cover on each side and pull forwards away from the wheel firmly. You might want to work the cover slightly up and down until it releases but once it goes it will well and truly go and the whole bumper will come off and onto the ground on that side.

With the bumper now off it's pretty obvious how to tackle everything else but here are instructions for swapping out the grill.

11) There are around 9 small torx screws holding the grill to the bumper cover, simply remove all of these.

12) The grill kit comes with the top plate attached so I'd suggest removing this as your one will still be attached to the Jeep and have cables running across it. If you don't do it now, you'll go to fit the bumper cover and realise what I mean...I did!

13) At this point you might also want to consider whether you want to plastidip/paint the chrome accents on the grill as they are fairly easy to pup off with a sharp knife snabbed in behind each of the clips. If you don't do it now forget it, you can only get them off with the entire cover and grill off the car.

14) Finally, you'll want to grab some long nosed pliers and squeeze the back of the white clips that hold the rubber molding to the top of the grill. This is to stop the hood from slamming the grill each time it closes.

Now just do everything in reverse to get the thing back on which I'm sure you'll find is much easier than getting it off the first time...

....think yourselves lucky you have these instructions...it took me hours working out I just had to rip it off once I had removed all screws.. I'm also waiting for some new clips to arrive so my flares are holding on for dear life with just 1 or 2 instead of 6 or 7!!

Good luck!!

ps
A couple of pictures of the angry eyes going in...

arild, XCLR8TN, twospirits and 3 others like this.

Renegade Limited - Black Carbon
H&R sport springs - 40mm lower
DTUK tuning box +40bhp
Black front grill, fog surrounds and tail light surrounds
Black mirrors caps and roof bars
Eta Beta 19x8.0 ET35 wheels with 235/45r19 Michelin Pilot Sport tyres
Red Plasti Dip brake calipers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: David
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Added to DIY Master List
Nice job and pics.

TS

Favorite Quote: The No is always there, you are just looking for the Yes.
Click for signature of Renegade Smileys
Spoiler
Jeep Renegade waving gif Smileys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 04:09 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Thanks for posting this up.

Me 07 JKU, CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s org
White Jeep Club Member # 137
To see my mods or Jeep in action go to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wife
2015 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 2.4L
White Jeep Club Member # BU01

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Great writeup, pics make all the difference! I'll bet this will come in handy to many members in the coming years. Props for the public service.
twospirits likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4T
2015 Fiat 500 Sport - wife's

- project
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
can you tell me where can I order these write plastic push clips?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Part #68241251AA Seems you can get them on eBay. Some say Napa AutoParts. But the dealership will order them for you. Mine charges $1.60 each.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2016, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So your directions helped a lot. My BF and I are not mechanically inclined at all. We had some issues and it all worked itself out. BUT those damned clips on the fender flare. We only broke one or two. But haven't a clue how to get the actual piece back in. Im ordering like 40 clips from Mopar and am hoping if I just place them in the actual fender flare piece then can just "push them" into their respective holes? Does that make sense?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Good write-up. Just as a suggestion for all future readers, use a plastic pry tool to remove the plastic push clips along the hood. First pry them into the "open" position, then pry them out by getting the tool underneath.

I did not use a screwdriver but they seem so fragile I imagine they would snap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Jun 18, 8 31 02 AM.jpg
Views:	1054
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	45922  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
So here's a thread on how to remove your front bumper cover and change your grill f you want.
I want to replace my silver grill with a black one and I have followed your excellent guide. I have however run into a problem. The painted panel of the front bumper seem to be completely stuck on the front fenders. When I pull there is no noticable movement. When I look down into the fenders from the engine bay, I notice something that looks like some kind of pop rivets and it seems that the bumper is stuck four pop rivets on each fender. Do you remember if your car had these pop rivets ?

See attached picture taken from the engine bay down into the back of the fender where I have marked the pop rivets.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front fender.jpg
Views:	1037
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	47706  

2015 Jeep Renegade Limited 2.0 diesel 4x4 9AT Low
1968 Saab Sonett V4
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Garage
And anyone else with experience from removing the bumper and/or grille, please chime in.

2015 Jeep Renegade Limited 2.0 diesel 4x4 9AT Low
1968 Saab Sonett V4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page