Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Pop Trunk from the Inside?

95K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Nev 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm a new Renegade owner, 2015 Latitude 4X4, manual.

I frequently drive into a place where I need to "pop" the trunk so that someone can look inside for security purposes.

I do not see any control to do that. I know about the unmarked remote button but that does not seem to work when the car is running.

The trunk (hatch) release button is not that easy to find and press for the uninitiated it seems.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

#3 ·
As far as I know, there isn't a button to open the rear hatch from the inside. Maybe your best bet will be to get out of the car and open it yourself? (if that is allowed)

#4 ·
On my '15 Latitude keyless entry fob there is a "blank" button. If you press it kind of hard it will "release" the back hatch so they can just lift the door to look in...without them having to search for the release button.

Attachments

#13 ·
Usually there is a trunk release button inside the car, only when the trunk cannot be opened from the outside.

For example, my brother's fiat punto, does not have any button on the outside of the trunk, so there is a release button on his center console to do that.
On the contrary, my previous car (toyota corolla) did not have any release button inside the car because the trunk could be opened from the outside. The same goes for the Renegade.

The catch is that the locks of the car must be opened in order for the trunk to be able to open from the outside.
So, in case you are inside the car and someone asks you to open your trunk, you can just press the button (near the power window buttons) that unlocks all the door locks (including the trunk's lock), and then you just say to the person who is outside of the vehicle to find and press the trunk release button.

The trunk release button that comes on the fob is usually used when you approach your vehicle (maybe holding bags or whatever etc) and you go directly to store these bags in the trunk.

#14 ·
...and then you just say to the person who is outside of the vehicle to find and press the trunk release button.
Good luck conveying the location of the hidden switch to someone unfamiliar with the vehicle. It usually takes my fingers a couple of tries to hit it - and I've had my Renegade for more than a year!

#20 ·
It is difficult and dangerous to get out and hop on one foot around back to open the boot. I rely on the curbside pickup people at the grocery to put my groceries in the back. With the button so well hidden they have trouble finding it. The benefit of having a hatch open button on the dash is obvious. I do not understand your negative attitude toward a disabled person's difficulty with everyday tasks.