Renegade Roof Rails - Jeep Renegade Forum
 69Likes

post #1 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
JFS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Renegade Roof Rails

Some people claim the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty black roof rails were for show only. The only trusted ones were the chrome versions in the Trail Rated Limited editions.

Are there going to be Renegades that have roof rails that are not functional?

Not trying to kick up dust here, just coming up with the questions that need asking before signing. I'd hate discovering things after the ink's dry.

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
I wouldn't doubt that this would happen, chances are it will with some models. For now I don't think there's any official way of finding out, might have to wait a bit to find this out.
post #3 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My 2004 cherokee (liberty in USA) had the black roof rails and I had bars permanently attached for canoe and bikes. When it was rolled in a smash the bars were ripped off but the rails remained on the car so I can vouch for their robustness. My 2007 cherokee has the chrome and I feel no difference. After the smash the car ended up on its side and my wife and kids were pulled out the doors relatively injury free and when the car was righted all doors opened and closed without fault. Here's hoping the renegade is as tough.

post #4 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-06-2014, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Jay View Post
My 2004 cherokee (liberty in USA) had the black roof rails and I had bars permanently attached for canoe and bikes. When it was rolled in a smash the bars were ripped off but the rails remained on the car so I can vouch for their robustness. My 2007 cherokee has the chrome and I feel no difference. After the smash the car ended up on its side and my wife and kids were pulled out the doors relatively injury free and when the car was righted all doors opened and closed without fault. Here's hoping the renegade is as tough.
wow, that indeed is the ultimate test, hopefully no one was seriously injured.
How did you manage to roll over?
post #5 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
I would hope that they would not put bars on an SUV that were just for show. I wouldn't put it past them though. I would expect more from Jeep. They actually take a lot of pride in the fact that their vehicles (for the most part) are designed for adventure. Adventure that requires extra gear. I would be seriously upset if the roof rails on a vehicle I purchased were for show.
post #6 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My car was rear ended at a junction at speed by a saloon car driver on a mobile phone. The driver braked hard and nosed under our rear, lifting it and starting the roll. The fuel tank ruptured and there wasn't a straight panel left on the car after it stopped but when it was righted every door opened without fault. They built these jeeps massively strong and though they are low on fit and finish, economy and tech, the strength of these cars can never be measured on sales alone. Interestingly the police said that it was probably better for the occupants of both cars that there was a mismatch in centre of gravity.
post #7 of 147 (permalink) Old 09-07-2014, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have an 03 Liberty and if those rails were just for show, it was to show off how well they ( and the Yakima bars ) could hold my two sea kayaks! As another poster said, Jeep knows their vehicles are built for adventure. That's why I'm so anxious to see the Renegade!!
post #8 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any thoughts on what crossbars would work nicely with the Renegade?

I'm reading that the ones sold by dealers are flimsy. Yakima has a suggested set of round 48" bars to fit the Renegade, while Thule suggested a square 58" set.

I want to securely carry two bicycles with the wheels on (sometimes) and cargo other times. I'm also hoping for aesthetic appeal and want to avoid drag/noise.
post #9 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-24-2015, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFS View Post
Some people claim the 2002-2007 Jeep Liberty black roof rails were for show only. The only trusted ones were the chrome versions in the Trail Rated Limited editions.

Are there going to be Renegades that have roof rails that are not functional?

Not trying to kick up dust here, just coming up with the questions that need asking before signing. I'd hate discovering things after the ink's dry.
I put the OEM crossbars on the black roof rails that came stock on my '03 Liberty. I brought a canoe back from Maine, and also carried a small sailboat hull on them. No issues - they have been fine. Of course I always use ratcheting tie downs

Current vehicle: 2003 Jeep Liberty - 200K with a goal of 300K.
post #10 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
JFS

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Thank you everyone. Seems internet information can be just that. Am glad us Liberty people can trust our rails (more than our fuel tanks?).

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page