• 1 Post By Rawlus
  • 1 Post By sooperedd

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
MySky panel and front plastic piece replacement

I just had the front MySky panel replaced due to the drivers side above the door being warped and the front plastic piece that was popped up on both sides under warranty and it took them two days to get that done, I will point out that I had them get it pre authorized and ordered the parts so they would have them before I dropped off the renegade. I was wondering for the people that have already had this done how long it took your dealership to complete this job. I had a rental 2017 Nissan Titan crew cab that was really fun to drive but not real fun to pay for the gas ($14.00) for the two days that I had it, now mind you I drove it a total of 12 miles and my heavy footed wife drove it about 30 miles. I am just wondering if this time is around the normal time frame or if my dealership is really slow and I should expect this for future visits.

On a positive note the service writer and the manager of the service writers have never had to order replace one of the panels or re-glued the front plastic piece.

Jacmoose
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Had mine (7/15 build date) replaced...I should specify-----> My weather stripping on the back side of the rear piece, and the stripping on the front of the front. Also the plastic panel in front of the panel itself was supposed to have been glued/replaced, and here I am about 6 months and its bowing again. Also have a little residue on the felt of the front panel. Again.

Took them 3 weeks to get parts for me, and even with an appointment, it took about 4 days to complete. I am not sure if I was their 1st Renegade they did, but I felt like possibly. It was last summer Id have to check to see what date for sure...Ive got an issue with my track getting dry, squeaks horribly, binds up and doesn't close all the way. They said they'd have to order that part of course. I put some lithium grease in the tracks, helped a bit, but still binds here and there..
Jacmoose likes this.

94 YJ
95 ZJ
98 XJ (2wd)
05 WK (2wd)
15 Renegade Trailhawk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had front/rear plastic trim pieces replaced (bowing and torn weather stripping respectively). I also had the front removable panel replaced due to warping over driver's door. Took about 2-3 days if I recall, though dealer took at least a day of that for nothing but leak testing (supposedly parked my Jeep in their auto car wash for 3+ hours). So far so good, the work was done in October, however I only just took the roof off for the first time last week since the repair. So far so good, no warping, all stripping is in place, panel is flat, and no water marks from leaks on felt. That front piece is held by two sided tape, wondering if in summer heat/sun the tape adhesive looses some sticky letting the corners go up? Mine has lasted all winter with zero issues, I'll see what summer brings. Kind of concerning the number of people that have had the front panel warp over driver's door.
Jacmoose likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 08:11 AM

I have a report to offer. Picked up brand new 2016 DoJ model about a month ago. It had been on the lot for about a year, while taking delivery I opened and operated everything and discovered when trying to remove the front MySky panel that it would not budge. A sales rep at the dealership mentioned they had seen it before and explained that they think at the factory in Italy a production step was mossed, specifically to Apple some sort of lubricant to the front panel rubber gasket. The read was fine but they said they've been seeing fronts missing this lubricant and without it, panels were sort of freezing in place while on the lot.

They took it away and said it was a two man job to remove the panel carefully and add the lubricant. This was my pickup day so I stayed and waited but it took a long time, after a few hours I was informed they broke the latch on the panel while trying to manually remove it. At that point I asked them to just take a panel off another Renegade in the lot rather than have me wait for a new one, which they happily did.

If my theory is right, if the front is not properly lubricated, I could see the front leading to warping, tearing gaskets and so forth because there'd be no way for the panel to naturally expand and contract with the weather and seasons.
Jacmoose likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
This was my experience.
When we bought our TH the latch for the front MySky wouldn't latch. Apparently someone that test drove it before us opened the power MySky with the latch DOWN and it ran into the headliner. HUGE DESIGN FLAW. The panel wouldn't come out either and after 4 trips to the dealer ( that didn't know the panel actually can be removed I might add ) they found out something was seriously bent up there. They had to replace everything associated with the front MySky including the tray that is part of the roof and the headliner. It took over a week at the dealer to get it all fixed. It works great now.
Jacmoose likes this.

2017 Jeep Renegade TH
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5P
2006 Toyota RAV4
1989 Chevy Suburban

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
mine warped
one day to get part
one day/overnight to repair mainly due to the adhesive setting

2015 Cherokee TH (FCA bought back)gone like the wind
2016 Renegade TH is here
2015 Audi SQ5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 AM
Nev

First Name: Nev
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hmmm I'm picking up my 75th Anniversary Renegade (ex dealer car) next Monday and specifically hunted this version down down for the MySky option.
(This was the 3rd-time-lucky one that I got in quick with a deposit before anyone else snatched it.)

This thread doesn't fill me with confidence.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlus View Post

If my theory is right, if the front is not properly lubricated, I could see the front leading to warping, tearing gaskets and so forth because there'd be no way for the panel to naturally expand and contract with the weather and seasons.
My original front panel also warped and I have a manual MySky (panel only pops in and out, no sliding and there is nothing to grease). I do wonder if there's a design flaw that the panel heats up and has no room to expand, though this doesn't effect everyone and always occurs over drivers door plus I live in New England, certainly many live in hotter climates than me.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2017, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
Hmmm I'm picking up my 75th Anniversary Renegade (ex dealer car) next Monday and specifically hunted this version down down for the MySky option.
(This was the 3rd-time-lucky one that I got in quick with a deposit before anyone else snatched it.)

This thread doesn't fill me with confidence.
Well, I for one had had no issue and absolutely love the power MySky! Good luck!

2016 Latitude, 4x4, 1.4L 6spd manual, Crystal Granite
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxos77 View Post
My original front panel also warped and I have a manual MySky (panel only pops in and out, no sliding and there is nothing to grease). I do wonder if there's a design flaw that the panel heats up and has no room to expand, though this doesn't effect everyone and always occurs over drivers door plus I live in New England, certainly many live in hotter climates than me.
I live in SW Florida which does get hot down here but the funny part is I first noticed it being warped in December and I was just keeping an eye on it to try and see how bad it would get over time since we have been pretty dry. I could put my finger under it but I couldn't see any daylight if you know what I mean.

Jacmoose

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page