Jeep Renegade Forum banner

4x4 vs 4x2 (FWD)

15K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Jacmoose 
#1 ·
Looking to buy, but am on the fence about 4x4 vs 4x2? Any thoughts as I'm in Cleveland and only need the 4x4 on occasion in the winter? Thanks for looking!

#2 ·
When I purchased my Renegade, I only had the option of 4x4, mainly because I live in Massachusetts and I really need it in our often harsh winters. But, I also plan on occaisionally taking my Renegade on trails of some sort, so I wanted the 4x4. If you feel that you do not need the 4x4, I would say don't buy it. If you don't plan on going offroad, and are fairly confident in your snow driving abilities, then you may not need to spend the extra.

But, my thought process is also that I refuse to buy a Jeep without 4x4. For me, it's one of the main reasons for buying one.

#4 ·
Get the 4x4. Seriously it is one of those things that you may not need all the time, if at all, but it is nice to know you have it. Kinda like a fire extinguisher.

The 4x4 Renegade drives like a chubby FWD hatchback. The 4x4 automatically kicks in when the traction control detects wheel slip. Or if you need it, you can lock it. 4x4 even helps you in the rain. I have it turn on taking a corner with wet leaves or on roads with sand built up on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.