Advice on washing and waxing the roof? - Jeep Renegade Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Advice on washing and waxing the roof?

Today I washed the Jeep and struggled hard at merely getting rid of the much from yesterday's off-road trip out of the wheel wells and black plastic. That alone took me an hour.

When I began washing the rest of the Rene, starting from the roof, I noticed I don't quite reach; I am what many would call "vertically challenged". My Jeep does not have the roof rails nor a step under the doors. I ended up sort of climbing onto the rear tire while holding onto nothing when I washed and dried the roof. Opening the door and standing on the sill is a no go. I am too OCD about my cars and will not do that.

It seems I will need to get a step ladder. I never had this problem with my previous car, it was barely taller than a miata!

Washing is doable, but what about waxing? It seems I will have to dedicate an entire day to that alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 07:55 PM
TWX

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage
I would buy one of those step-platforms. Stepladders are good if you need to reach one spot, but a roof is much bigger than that.

Werner makes one that's about 4' long and 20" off the ground of memory serves. I've been meaning to get one to use when I have vehicles on my lift at the low position.

TWX
2015 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk - Solar Yellow
2001 Acura Integra LS
1995 Chevrolet Impala SS
1995 Nissan Hardbody King Cab
1982 Dodge D350 Crew Cab
1978 Chrysler Cordoba
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 08:40 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Garage
Yea, small step ladder. I have a foldable one that I keep in the car. It is about 9 inches tall and gives me enough reach.

But for washing, I use a washing wand that is on a pole. At the end of the pole is a 9 x 5 inch microfiber covered pad. You can pick one up most places.

It makes quick work of the washing part. Dip it in the sudsy bucket, and then wash the roof. In fact, I have used it to wash the entire car if I'm in a hurry.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Alright, thanks guys. I'll check Home Depot to see if I can find one of those Werner platforms.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 12:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Also if with out step ladder just pop the doors and stand on the sills if in a pinch.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4 ANVIL aka Jeepetto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepetto View Post
Also if with out step ladder just pop the doors and stand on the sills if in a pinch.

Yeah, I don't like doing that. I always baby my vehicles. I sold my last car after it was 16 years old with 90,000 miles on it and the buyer was surprised that a daily driver was in mint condition inside and out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenegadeOfFunk View Post
Yeah, I don't like doing that. I always baby my vehicles. I sold my last car after it was 16 years old with 90,000 miles on it and the buyer was surprised that a daily driver was in mint condition inside and out.
I've always been the same with mine, no matter how old or new my vehicles were.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I am 5'6". I use a step ladder. I have to move it to two spots on each side of the renny.

2015 Renegade Limited (Colorado Red)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I made the error of buying a two step ladder thinking that would be adequate.Although its just about OK to dry the roof it was still a bit of a stretch. So I would suggest a minimum 3 step ladder for easier reach.

2.0 Diesel 140bhp Limited 4x4 Manual Glacier Metallic Function Packs 1 & 2 Visibility pack. Panoramic Sunroof.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 05:26 PM
JFS

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Yeah. Use some zip ties and strap a foam noodle or pipe insulation noodle against one side so you dont slap the side of the car with the step ladder.

And take off your belt so the buckle dont scratch the car while you lean to reach the hood, roof,etc.

Jon
2015 white Sport 4x4 M6, Air and Power packages, added OEM snowflakes and roof rails.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page