How to find out if you need firmware updates? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 6Likes

post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
How to find out if you need firmware updates?

I recently had my car in for the differential noise issue. I also complained about the shifting behavior caused by my previous transmission flash and requested any updates that might help.

Back in mid February they told me I didn't need any. Come first week of August, it's a whopping 7.

I suspect at this point, it is questionable if inquiring about software updates will get you any useful information if they don't have the car hooked up to their diagnostic system. One big difference between then and now was that my dealer switched over to keeping a bunch of ODB port dongles in a basket on the service desk, and the rep would hook up every car they processed. It also apparently autofills a bunch of stuff for them in their book keeping as well.

Anyway, I got:

TSB 21-054-15, which apparently pre-dated my last visit by a month or so and I never got (never had any of the symptoms either, things shifted out of park just fine). It's for the ESM electric shift module

18-063-16 for the PCM (powertrain control module)which is a super secret mystery update with no info.

21-021-16 for the TCM, which is another mystery update.

08-014-16 REV A. is yet another mystery update with no info. for the IPC (instrument panel cluster).

08-127-15 another mystery update for the radio freqeuncy hub aka RFH.

05-001-16 REV A for ABS,

08-084-15 for EPS for the electric power steering for an indicator lamp issue I wasn't having.

I will say that the after the latest mystery updates, the shifting is back to being a WHOLE lot better, and I don't appear to have given up any of the fuel economy improvements that had come with the last TCM update. Also, the annoying grumble like the engine was starting to lug around 1500rpm is GONE. The engine only gets buzzy at one specific RPM range now instead of several, which is pretty normal for a NA inline four.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
i even emailed chrysler about how it was ridiculous to have to make an appt.. to see if i needed an appt. they said sorry, make an appt
Bionic likes this.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
We took my Renegade in for oil, tire rotation, and to address the hitch and lug wrench recalls. They didn't do the recalls, told us to bring it back because they also need to do a software update. Their computers were all down. The software update was supposed to take 90 minutes. I have no idea why that would take so long, so I guess they aren't going to just put a USB stick into my console like I did before.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:04 AM

First Name: Dennis
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
We took my Renegade in for oil, tire rotation, and to address the hitch and lug wrench recalls. They didn't do the recalls, told us to bring it back because they also need to do a software update. Their computers were all down. The software update was supposed to take 90 minutes. I have no idea why that would take so long, so I guess they aren't going to just put a USB stick into my console like I did before.
The updates can take a while. I had some updates done a few months ago that took over 2 hours to complete.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr401 View Post
The updates can take a while. I had some updates done a few months ago that took over 2 hours to complete.
This has to be more than just hooking up to the USB on the console.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:13 AM

First Name: Dennis
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
This has to be more than just hooking up to the USB on the console.
The updates that I am referring to are done right to the Renegade computer modules not the U-Connect radio interface that is done with the usb. These updates can only be done at the dealer.
Bionic likes this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr401 View Post
The updates that I am referring to are done right to the Renegade computer modules not the U-Connect radio interface that is done with the usb. These updates can only be done at the dealer.
Has to be the ECU and powertrain.
dgr401 likes this.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 05:54 AM

I got a ton of flashes. IPC, RFH, ABS, EPS, ESM. The transmission seems to be less hesitant to kick down for acceleration (change to lower range). Maybe a bit less of a snap to 2nd as well. The parking brake set to auto-on as default. Running MPG reset.
dgr401 likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 06:24 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got several flash updates as well. Took over 2 hours. I noticed my MPG indicator shown less efficient readings... is it because they reset all the totals? Should I wait to refill the tank again. Glad I found this forum

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scut77 View Post
Got several flash updates as well. Took over 2 hours. I noticed my MPG indicator shown less efficient readings... is it because they reset all the totals? Should I wait to refill the tank again. Glad I found this forum
I would refill the tank. When my Renegade had the software update, my mpg figures were reset, if I remember correctly.
Hope you are enjoying the world of the Jeep Renegade, otherwise known as the forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page