Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Should I buy a 2017 Jeep Renegade?

15K views 27 replies 24 participants last post by  Jamesx2 
#1 ·
So, I have been saving up for a new car for a bit now, and I am really interested in the Jeep Renegade. I have been doing a lot of research only to find out that they have a lot of issues with the 2015 and 2016's. I was wondering if the 2017 has all of those problems solved. I'd really really like to buy one but I don't want to spend my money on something that I am going to have issues with right after buying it. Please tell me your opinions and if you've had any problems with your 2017 Jeep Renegade. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Don't know if this helps
I have a Trailhawk since the end of Sept (2016) with 4100 mi. and have had zero issues so far. My wife drives it 90% of the time, usually to and from work and if something was up with it I am sure I would hear about it :laugh:

#4 ·
Ditto. 2016 latitude, 14,500 miles. No troubles at all. We have the 4x4 manual.

#6 ·
I have a 2016 Trailhawk with a powered MySky that I bought in September and currently have 9500 miles on it and have had absolutely 0 problems! I love my tiny Jeep.

#7 ·
Yes there have been some problems reported with the 2015's and maybe a few with the 2016's. I haven't yet heard a lot about 2017's.

With that said, there are a large number of 2015 & 2016 Renegades without any problems. My early build 2015 Trailhawk (January 2015) has been trouble-free.

Take a test drive and test every function (windows, locks, cruise, infotainment system, air, heat, lights, etc.). Then decide if you like the vehicle. :D

#10 ·
FCA's QA is what it is, as is their dealer network. I'll give you my checklist.

1) Do you find the renegade REALLY compelling? No? You should probably buy something else.

2) Do you have multiple dealers within a 45 minute drive? No? You should buy something else. (This applies to all makes, but definitely applies to KIA, Hyundai, all the FCA brands, and all the GM brands to a large degree.)

3) Are you prepared to find 2 warranty issues with your car and make at least 2 trips to the dealer for each? That's statistically the middle of the bell curve for FCA. They may not be major, but time and effort is time and effort, and if you want to make zero of each, I'd go toyota or honda the former has measurably less defects per vehicle than everyone else, the latter has the most stringent expectations for their dealer network.

4) The ZF 9 transmission will never not be weird, and making it live in an offroad truck-like experience is pushing it to one end of it's comfort zone of performance. As of ~Feb/March, I'm of the opinion that FCA is capable of pushing out a pretty decent set of firmware for the drivetrain in terms of perceived transmission behavior and fuel economy impact of better shifting. However, various other fixes seem to be moving them off of that sweet spot. Other things like the long 4->5/5->4 shifts are never going away as it is due to the physical layout of the transmission. Test drive it, more than the 15 minute drive along with the sales drone. If you think the shifting is weird, don't buy it.

5) Read the 30mph noise thread here: http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/forum/434-problems-issues/28737-grinding-rumble-noise-30mph.html This is an ongoing problem for 2015 and 2016 models, and there is no reason to think it doesn't affect 2017s as well. FCA still hasn't figured out how to fix it. If this is a deal killer for you, you should not buy it. The more I learn baout the renegades TC, AWD, etc. the more I'm thinking TC should default to off unless you put it in a specific mode (TC leaves you with ESC on, which is more important for safety and control).

Outside of 4 and 5, I think most of the issues come down to the electronics and a combination of QA/QC on the vendors supplying them and versioning control of firmware within your vehicle (i.e. a combo of FCA making sure there is a top to bottom set of firmware your vehicle is happy with available when they publish a fix AND how good your dealer is as ensuring you have a whole maximally compatible set).

#25 ·
FCA's QA is what it is, as is their dealer network. I'll give you my checklist.

5) Read the 30mph noise thread here: This is an ongoing problem for 2015 and 2016 models, and there is no reason to think it doesn't affect 2017s as well. FCA still hasn't figured out how to fix it. If this is a deal killer for you, you should not buy it. The more I learn baout the renegades TC, AWD, etc. the more I'm thinking TC should default to off unless you put it in a specific mode (TC leaves you with ESC on, which is more important for safety and control).
2017 here ... love the little bugger. The thing is so functional and much bigger on the inside then it looks from the outside. Fun to drive as well. That being said, number 5 on the list is still an issue for me. It is a shame that they can't get this one figured out becouse otherwise this is a fantastic product IMHO. No issues with 9 speed tranny (knock on wood).

#19 ·
I don't think the 9 speed auto is bad. Its definitely geared for fuel economy, but that is the trend these days. I would give up 1-2 mpg to keep the revs 100 rpm higher after every shift. Other than that and sometimes a delay when trying to downshift to pass, it's fine. IMO, for a daily driver, the 2.4L/9 speed is superior. I've had some sporty 6 speed's in the past and in this application, would have been a disappointment for me. Unless of course you just like to drive stick. It is cool they have the option for those that want it!

#22 ·
I've had my 2017 Altitude for several weeks now, and I'm absolutely loving it! :D No regrets whatsoever! And as far as the 9-speed automatic is concerned, I've had no problems at all with power. As with my last car, I just needed to learn how to work with that car's particular transmission (my last car had a CVT), and we developed a great relationship! Let's just say I have no problem leaving people in the dust... Of course, if I wanted better gas mileage, that would be another thing! LOL I, too, considered the 6-speed manual, but with being in so much stop and go traffic around here when the university students are in town, a manual can become tedious pretty quick! As much as I enjoy driving a stick, I knew driving one every day over the long-term was just not something I wanted to do.

Reactions: priell3 and DVB
#26 ·
I've had my 2017 Altitude for several weeks now, and I'm absolutely loving it! :D No regrets whatsoever! And as far as the 9-speed automatic is concerned, I've had no problems at all with power... Let's just say I have no problem leaving people in the dust...

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have put nearly 1,200 miles on mine in less than a month and we are loving it. And to quote 7BarBlues, if there was anything major it would probably have revealed itself by now.

No problems with interior passenger room. My wife would have certainly brought this up if was an issue and my 6'3" rides or drives with ease.

As far as MPG, I've been getting at least 28 MPG and that is with some pretty heavy foot at times. If the Renegade was shaped like nearly every other car out there it would do better but then it would just blend in with all of the others.

#23 ·
I came out of two 4 cylinder CRV's in a row. I drive in plenty of stop and go traffic and I have actually increased my gas milage with the Renegade by about 2/3 mpg. Because the CRV's were also small, I do not feel like I have lost anything in size or power. The 9 speed feels smoother and the ride is more comfortable. I am a month in to my 2017 Trail Hawk with about 1300 problem free miles. It is still too early to say it was a home run but if there was anything major it would probably have revealed itself by now.

To those who say I wish it had more storage and more power I have this to say. Unless you were not involved in the selection and purchase of the Renegade, thats on you. Those are obvious things up front.

I have read many posts on the net about people coming out of an F150 and complaining that the Renegade is small. Seriously? This wasn't obvious when you first looked at it :confused:

#24 ·
i have read many posts on the net about people coming out of an f150 and complaining that the renegade is small. Seriously? This wasn't obvious when you first looked at it :confused:
lol!

Reactions: Kain
#28 ·
checked my oil in my 2015 after reading the low oil thread. I just picked it up last week. Its ok
And tried to look at my motor mounts

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.