Can navigation be added to the lower end uconnect? - Jeep Renegade Forum
 15Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Can navigation be added to the lower end uconnect?

Hi. WE have been enjoying our jeep renegade limited for a little over a month now. We were interested from the beginning and knew we were going to get one, but wanted to wait for the sunroof. Well, that didn't work! So we bought a white Limited model. The only upgrade it has is the subwoofer and speakers. One of the things that we really wanted was the navigation radio. Since that didn't happen, is there any way that navigation can be added to our existing radio? We really don't want to go with a dash mount navigation system any longer!!

Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
That's interesting - it's the same model for a Rene (http://www.driveuconnect.com/system/...egade/5-0-ra2/), but the Rene's spec screen doesn't list the same features as the Fiat one....

I'm just one lab experimentally from being a super villain!!!

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It must be possible, once the Renegades sold in Brazil with Uconnect 5.0 have navigation.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:43 PM

Hmmm... the manual for the Fiat RA2 system shows on page 57 a picture of the 5" Nav screen with a New York NY sample address.

Edit: and goes on through Page 60 to show how to route from there to Tenleytown DC

Edit2: Nevermind, the same manual is for both the Uconnect 5.0 & Uconnect 5.0N systems, so no idea if the 5.0 can be upgraded to 5.0N (with the N being navigation system/services from TomTom)

Last edited by mudcatca; 07-07-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I wonder if there's a 3rd party OEM head unit that would fit. I think you could see if the dealer could swap for the nav.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 07:51 PM

I've read about something called a Lockpick that supposedly can put the display from your iPhone, iPad, or Android phone on the Uconnect display--including Google Maps navigation screen, Netflix movies, and such. These devices seem to have been around for 3-4 years, for all sorts of Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge vehicles. Some people say to be cautious, because the devices don't work with all UConnect systems. There's also some claims about "unlocking" hidden features in UConnect.

Not sure if I want to mess around with a stereo system that is also so integrated into the Renegade's operation--wife probably would feed me to the bears and raccoons if I turn a new vehicle into a mad scientist project. But I'm sure tempted to try one out... maybe I can send her to her sister's place for a long weekend, hmmm...
twospirits, Rebel and Ari like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

First Name: David
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Just for the ability to put the Android/Apple navigation on the Uconnect screen would be enough for me. I went to their page and it looks awesome. Impressive. But as usual nothing for a Renegade yet.

TS

Favorite Quote: The No is always there, you are just looking for the Yes.
Click for signature of Renegade Smileys
Spoiler
Jeep Renegade waving gif Smileys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twospirits View Post
Just for the ability to put the Android/Apple navigation on the Uconnect screen would be enough for me. I went to their page and it looks awesome. Impressive. But as usual nothing for a Renegade yet.

TS
Not specifically, but... if it works on other Chrysler products with the same RA2 / 5" UConnect, maybe we really could get all these cool features anyway:

View your maps and get turn by turn guidance from your phone and mirrored on your screen (great for non-nav radios - makes an instant upgrade)

View the internet and text messages

Listen to your music and see the album art

Stream feature movies saved on your phone (Android 0nly) to your Mygig radio

Automatically connects to 3 types of streaming modes - DLNA (Apple) - Miracast (Android) - WiDi (Intel)

Stream NETFLIX movies and TV shows from your Android smartphone or tablet directly to your radio.
twospirits and kaba like this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for all the help! It does look promising. I looked at the LockPick and that looks REALLY intriguing! I also have heard that it may be as simple as having the dealer enter a code in the unit to unlock the nav which is already built into the uconnect 5.0. I am going to keep my eyes and ears open! Thanks again and keep the tips coming.
Bionic likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page