Tutorial: Door Panel Removal and Speaker Installation - Jeep Renegade Forum
 104Likes

post #1 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Post Tutorial: Door Panel Removal and Speaker Installation

Dissatisfied with the stock speakers, I decided to replace them. This tutorial will cover the removal of the door panels and installation of 6x9 speakers in the Jeep Renegade with 6 speaker system. The speakers are being powered from the stock head unit. If I feel the need to amplify them down the road, at least this part is out of the way.

You will need:
One Philips Head Screwdriver
One T30 Torx bit
One T20 Torx bit
Door panel removal tool (plastic)

On a side note, our Renegades are so new that they do not appear in current catalogs that sell aftermarket wiring harnesses or fit kits. I found that the 2014 Jeep Liberty speaker wiring harness kit worked perfectly. Just ask for one of those. I got mine at BestBuy along with the speakers. The harness will allow you to not have to cut the stock harness to connect your speakers. This is reversible with the wiring harness.

This is where we will be doing battle today. Find a cool spot, each door shouldn't take more than thirty minutes. Check around the perimeter of the door panel, and you will find two covers that are hiding one Philips head screw each. The very bottom of the panel has one as well, you will need to get on the ground to access it.

Pry out the plastic covers. Use your plastic tool so you don't wreck the covers.

Upper

Lower

Bottom screw does not have a cover.

Now, there are three more hidden bolts. You will need the T30 Torx bit to remove these. They are all the same size and length, so no worries getting them mixed up.

Pry out the small rubber cover in the door handles grab cup.

Be sure to use the plastic removal tool so that you don't scratch anything.

Peek-a-Boo! There's the first one.

Using your T30 bit, remove this bolt. You will then use the thin part of your plastic panel removal tool to pry the plastic control panel out of the door. Be very careful, as it is loosely hinged at the back portion, and may easily break if you're not careful. I'm clumsy, and I managed to keep it intact. You've been warned.

Now, disconnect the two wiring harnesses and set the plastic panel aside.

Now, there's a sneaky little bolt back up in there at the top of the open gap. Reach in there and get it out with your T30 Torx bit.

One more Torx bolt, and we'll be clear....

It's hiding under the cover under the door handle.

Use your plastic panel tool to gently pry this off.

Now, take a deep breath, because the next part is a little nerve wracking. All the bolts are out, but the door panel still is clinging close to the door frame with body clips. You will need to pry the panel away from the door. I started at the bottom rounded corner and pried it loose with the panel tool. Once I could get my fingers under it, I jerked it a little and worked my way around the edges. There are no clips in the center. Get the bottom and the sides free of the clips, then lift the door panel up off of the window sill.

DON'T GO TOO FAR WITH IT. The panel is still attached with one more wiring harness and also the linkage for the door lock and door handle. Remove the one wiring harness and either remove the linkages or set the panel on the ground leaning against the door. I didn't remove the linkages, as they didn't need to be.

The panel is now off, and you can remove the factory "speaker". I use the term loosely, as they are quite cheaply made.

You will need another smaller Torx bit, a T20 to remove the factory 6x9.

I had no problem installing my Kicker 6x9'S in the same space. I usedKicker 41KSC6934 6x9 three ways. The wiring harness for the Jeep Liberty worked perfectly.

Woo! Looks good. Sounds good. Now to do the other side. I may not do the rears, as they will be set for rear fill, but we'll see. I also need to replace the 3.5" speakers in the dash. It looks like those panels just pop out, but will confirm when I change them out.

Last edited by Gatorade; 08-16-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Nice. I was wondering why on crutchfield they list most 6x9s as not fitting. I assumed it was a case of we tried one and didn't bother.

Looking forward to the dash speakers. They seem to be the he harshest sounding bit, and I may replace them first.
post #3 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
Nice. I was wondering why on crutchfield they list most 6x9s as not fitting. I assumed it was a case of we tried one and didn't bother.

Looking forward to the dash speakers. They seem to be the he harshest sounding bit, and I may replace them first.
Yeah, not too sure about why that is. I noticed it too, but figured there should be enough room for the speakers in a door that large. I imagine our cars are too new to have detailed info on aftermarket speaker fitment yet.

post #4 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorade View Post
Yeah, not too sure about why that is. I noticed it too, but figured there should be enough room for the speakers in a door that large. I imagine our cars are too new to have detailed info on aftermarket speaker fitment yet.
I quite like the sound from the six speaker system and have no need to change. But that was an amazing post for anyone who does want to. I was like a Haynes manual.
post #5 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

post #6 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Also wanted to update on the dash speakers. The corner speaker grills pop right off without any need to remove other trim pieces. I will be installing new 3.5" speakers there this week.
post #7 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygy View Post
I quite like the sound from the six speaker system and have no need to change. But that was an amazing post for anyone who does want to. I was like a Haynes manual.
I'm a tinkerer. I also like my music to sound as good as it can. While I'm no audiophile, I like to hear crisper highs and better fleshed out mids. Now, I realize I have less control keeping the stock head unit, but thats okay. After installing just the from 6x9's and cranking a little music, it put a real smile on my face. Can't wait to finish the whole project.

Thank you for your comment. I do hope my effort is useful to someone.
post #8 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

The dash grill pops off. I ordered some Kicker 3.5" drivers to go in there. I was advised by Crutchfield that the speaker may rub on the grill some or may require some modifying. That's okay, once I get them in, I'll figure out a way to fab a new speaker grill, or modify the existing one.

You will need different harnesses for the 3.5" speaker. Use Metra part number 71-039C.
XCLR8TN, LittleRedJeep and Kevmond like this.
post #9 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 09:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Gatorade, you are awesome! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this and share with great images and guidance.

Quark
LittleRedJeep likes this.
post #10 of 222 (permalink) Old 08-16-2015, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Nice work Gatorade! I was missed the bolt behind the plastic switch panel, and was trying to pop the body panels. Probably would have broke something if I didn't stop. Note: I tried to remove the door panel before reading your post here.

Can't wait to put speakers in my Renny.

Thanks
LittleRedJeep likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page