Upgrading one Uconnect Radio for another Question THREAD - Page 2 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 5Likes

post #11 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmunk View Post
Installing an aftermarket unit isn't a big deal. All that's required is wiring. Matra or one of the companies just recently released a wiring harness adapter. Unlikely you'd be able to retain ability to adjust vehicle settings. So if you're going to go that route... make sure you are really happy with your settings before swapping out the head units. And, if you disconnect the battery after you've set your settings, my guess is everything will be reset to default.
Yup, plus there are some things like backup guidelines that can be kicked back to the default off without disconnecting the battery OR going through a head unit menu.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So in simple words there is no sense in installing and aftermarket unit (5.0 -> 6.5) or something with android system?
post #13 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to I1430radio Send a message via Skype™ to I1430radio
IF the claims by at least two aftermarket companies are correct, you can buy a device that holds settings to go "inline" with the new stereo. Wish I could remember the company, but googling will help. Once you have that and the proper metra adapter for wheel control and other functions, you could upgrade from the "upper" model.

I have seriously considered this. However, there are so many electronic and brain quirks right now in the Renegade, that no dealer is going to be able to help me OR YOU with anything that develops if that head end is not in, I'd be very, very sure. My unit is not holding settings, as are many other users' Renegades on this site. It's returning for it's second diagnostic with files being extracted and sent to the STAR team at Chrysler-Jeep this week. The best hope for anyone having these difficulties is to use what you have, get the upgrades and fixes under warranty by continually returning to the dealership, and if it all STABILIZES, then, see if you want to put that other box in back of an aftermarket unit and have it hold/change your settings no matter what.

I'd have to search through tons of posts to find the two products, but they are out there. There's even a "plug and play" that fits with no adapters except for the backup camera, but it won't control your system. Search for "infodapter" kit, try radio-upgrade.com for the plug and play, and start your research. It LOOKS like the infodapter may preserve all functions except probably the emergency calls through Uconnect. Not sure.

Changing the radio as a decision depends on how much of the original functionality you wish to retain and how well your Renegade is functioning now.

post #14 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Upgrading the 5.0 Uconnect Dash to 6.5 or Android Auto?

This is going to be a really dumb question, but...what if all you want to do is upgrade from the 6 speakers it came with to 9? Is that going to mean the same set of problems, and if not, are aftermarket speakers at Best Buy ok?

Last edited by Grape Julius; 01-16-2016 at 11:24 AM.
post #15 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
I think the moral of the story is to buy the head unit you want with the car. Me, I got the 5.0 and am very happy with it. In fact, it's weak signal performance on FM is better than any car radio I've ever had! I find the programmable car settings easy to access and use and the audio quality is quite acceptable.

I had no interest in the UConnect calling system and may not even keep the sat radio after the year is up so the 5.0 was a good fit. For Navigation I purchased a Garmin unit with lifetime maps and traffic for a 10th of the cost of the 6.5 upgrade. The plus is that I can use the Garmin in any of my vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS.jpg
Views:	1018
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	31506  

2016 Solar Yellow Renegade Trailhawk
1952 Willys M38A1
post #16 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grape Julius View Post
This is going to be a really dumb question, but...what if all you want to do is upgrade from the 6 speakers it came with to 9? Is that going to mean the same set of problems, and if not, are aftermarket speakers at Best Buy ok?

If you are fine with the head unit, there are a number of strategies for speakers, amps, subs, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
3.0 to 5.0 upgrade

I just bought a the 2016 sport black/black with the Uconnect 3.0 radio. Several days after my wife has complained about the radio not having Bluetooth capability. Is is possible to purchase the Uconnect 5.0 and just install it (plug an play) or would this be a dealership project. I would hate to have to take it to the dealer to have it upgraded, $$$$$ out the a$$$$.
post #18 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to wn7ant
http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/for...roid-auto.html

Pretty much answers your question. 3 > 5 is about the same as 5 > 6... not gonna happen.

Orange 2015 Trailhawk

Yes, I AM that guy
post #19 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
uConnect 5.0 Stereo

i have the 5.0/ra2 stereo in my 16 Trailhawk and wonder if i can buy a different uConnect to replace this one that seems to be very cheap
post #20 of 52 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance77tour View Post
i have the 5.0/ra2 stereo in my 16 Trailhawk and wonder if i can buy a different uConnect to replace this one that seems to be very cheap
From what I've been able to find online it isn't a simple procedure. You'd have to first get the 6.5 unit you want. The GPS/SiriusXM antenna if you're going that route and also the dashboard display. From there it should wire up like normal but would require a flash to BCM from the dealership to set it up and adjust your mileage and vin data. This is all under the assumption that any dealership would even do this for you.

I have a buddy who manages a junk/scrap yard and is on a vigilant lookout for any Renegades that come in. I'm hoping to grab a trailhawk for the bumpers, tow hooks and quite possibly the stereo and dash if available. Worst case I'm out a few bucks and hours picking the parts on the stereo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page