Upgrading one Uconnect Radio for another Question THREAD - Page 3 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 5Likes

post #21 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 09:56 AM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Replace Uconnect 5.0? So much conflicting info.

I just leased a 16 Renegade: DOJ Edition. Love the thing. My only real disappointment so far is the Unconnect 5.0 head unit and the Beats upgrade. Why they'd put a lower end radio in a spoecial edition vehicle, I don't understand, but since it there I want to change it.

I've got a few questions:
1. Since it's a lease, can I even change it without getting in trouble? I On my way!, of course, put the factory radio back in if I turn it in after the lease term.

2. Everywhere I've looked, there's a lot of confusing info on whistler or not you can even replace the thing. There's a head unit removal thread on this site, but no finished installs. Some threads have said you can't replace it without losing a ton of functionality, but the 5.0 doesn't control anything functionality-related other than the backup cam.

Google has nothing. The Renegade forums have nothing. Nothing on youtube in English.

My main gripe--and it may sound small, but it's not to me--is the BT doesn't hookup and play right away when the car starts. I just came from a Chevy Volt and you had to select BT every time you got in the car and it really annoyed me. I test drive a couple other Jeeps with the 8.4 and the 6.5 and both of them had the BT functionality I wanted. I assumed the 5.0 would too. No dice.

I looked on crut chfield and they had a harness and everything I'd need, but the fine print said I'd have to cut all the speaker wires and re-run them. That just doesn't make sense if there's a wiring harness involved.

Any feedback or info would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Your pretty much stuck with it, and it controls much, much more than just the backup camera.
post #23 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 11:08 AM

See that's what I don't get. There are breakout boxes and harnesses that claim to retain any functionality that the stock radio controls. But then I read stuff like what you're saying and I get confused.

Like I said, I see a sticky thread about removing the head unit, but no installs. I see Crutchfield offering products that will fit the car with modifications and I read that it's impossible. Which is it?

So confusing.

post #24 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
go to car toys and ask for their advice.
post #25 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 12:16 PM

What's car toys?
post #26 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:24 PM

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theJTL View Post
What's car toys?

Its an electronic store, like best buy, sound track any store that sells or installs GPS or stereo systems
post #27 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:28 PM

Ah, I figured. We don't have anything like that around here (I'm in Iowa.) There's a best buy and a local independent. I'm checking with the independent. They claim they can install something with no worries, but given the unclear info, I'm just wary. And I'd love to do it myself if it's easier. I've installed many stereos in the past. I've never leased a car before.
post #28 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:33 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Jason...I'm in Iowa City Iowa as well. Doesn't help with your question, but if you see a black Trailhawk with some back and gold and a red Renegade hood decal, that is me!
post #29 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is the most complete harness I've come across but can't stomach the price just yet. Looks to retain the factory setting menu also the factory backup camera. Cantposturlsww.installer.com/cars/by_car.php?carid=11245
Insert w

Last edited by Daniel C Burgdorf; 11-14-2016 at 03:53 PM. Reason: correction
post #30 of 53 (permalink) Old 11-14-2016, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
First, if the beats sounds like poop, be aware there is a dealer only set of firmware that can fix the issue.

OK, the 5.0 head unit controls a bunch of stuff. Nobody to date has claimed to have successfully replaced it without issues.

If you aren't able to tell me how to make it work and are looking for a road map, you probably should not touch the head unit at this time. Feel free to disagree with me, it's your bank account.

It's a lease. You are not legally permitted to change anything on the car as it is not yours. Putting it back exactly as it was may not get most people in trouble, but that's not the terms of the lease, and if you run into a situation that you can get caught out messing with the vehicle like that, it can have a negative impact on you. How much really depends on the situation.

What you can do technically:

Replace the speakers. Just match the impedance, which for the 9 speaker setup is 4 ohms dash, 2 ohms door. It's really not oging to leave any marks other than the only 2 ohm speakers are made by harmon and are "plus sized" so the holes don't line up. Only three will go back in and you'll have to save the screws for the lease term. It is unlikely a lease return inspection would even care as long as the speakers function and there's no reason to examine the doors internally.

Replace the speakers and bypass the factory amp. Get the right harnesses and hook up some resistors of the right load in the right place, and you can run lots of wattage, a bigger sub, and can run whatever impedance you design the system for. This involves rewiring the car, and will likely, if done as well as can be, result in at least something being cut to run wire from the battery through the firewall to the amps. Will they care? dunno. Will they care if you leave it in place on return? yes.

Swap out the head unit using a magic black box. So far I have seen one person try it and it only kind of works. If the renegade software was stable and unchanging, it might be worth it, but given the frequency of flash updates, it sounds like a giant PITA.

Swap out the head unit for a "compatible head unit" If you have the money to lead form the front here, go ahead. I don't think you'll be upping quality given the no-name nature of the two available ones, and I would expect zero support on them. At least in English. I've seen one person claiming to go this route, and zero results.

I have yet to see a real installer or owner say you can, I've seen a lot of products that claim you can wit their product. This isn't mixed signals. The only confusion is if you want to believe unsubstantiated advertising with no proof that anyone has used that product successfully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page