Upgrading one Uconnect Radio for another Question THREAD - Page 4 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 6Likes

post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:42 PM

First Name: Jason
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Jason...I'm in Iowa City Iowa as well. Doesn't help with your question, but if you see a black Trailhawk with some back and gold and a red Renegade hood decal, that is me!
Cool! I'll keep an eye out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
First, if the beats sounds like poop, be aware there is a dealer only set of firmware that can fix the issue.

OK, the 5.0 head unit controls a bunch of stuff. Nobody to date has claimed to have successfully replaced it without issues.

If you aren't able to tell me how to make it work and are looking for a road map, you probably should not touch the head unit at this time. Feel free to disagree with me, it's your bank account.

It's a lease. You are not legally permitted to change anything on the car as it is not yours. Putting it back exactly as it was may not get most people in trouble, but that's not the terms of the lease, and if you run into a situation that you can get caught out messing with the vehicle like that, it can have a negative impact on you. How much really depends on the situation.

What you can do technically:

Replace the speakers. Just match the impedance, which for the 9 speaker setup is 4 ohms dash, 2 ohms door. It's really not oging to leave any marks other than the only 2 ohm speakers are made by harmon and are "plus sized" so the holes don't line up. Only three will go back in and you'll have to save the screws for the lease term. It is unlikely a lease return inspection would even care as long as the speakers function and there's no reason to examine the doors internally.

Replace the speakers and bypass the factory amp. Get the right harnesses and hook up some resistors of the right load in the right place, and you can run lots of wattage, a bigger sub, and can run whatever impedance you design the system for. This involves rewiring the car, and will likely, if done as well as can be, result in at least something being cut to run wire from the battery through the firewall to the amps. Will they care? dunno. Will they care if you leave it in place on return? yes.

Swap out the head unit using a magic black box. So far I have seen one person try it and it only kind of works. If the renegade software was stable and unchanging, it might be worth it, but given the frequency of flash updates, it sounds like a giant PITA.

Swap out the head unit for a "compatible head unit" If you have the money to lead form the front here, go ahead. I don't think you'll be upping quality given the no-name nature of the two available ones, and I would expect zero support on them. At least in English. I've seen one person claiming to go this route, and zero results.

I have yet to see a real installer or owner say you can, I've seen a lot of products that claim you can wit their product. This isn't mixed signals. The only confusion is if you want to believe unsubstantiated advertising with no proof that anyone has used that product successfully.
Hey, thank you for the long, detailed response. The only thing I take umbrage over is the somewhat condescending and snarky tone with which you delivered your info.

I came here stating I was looking for info since I'd found a lot of conflicting information and no successful installs. Your tone suggests I brought up a sore subject or you took offense in some way for some reason. I'm sorry if that's the case.

You're a "super moderator" on this site. You've got a couple thousand posts. I'm sure you've heard it all before. I haven't, although I tried to learn as much as I could before I started this thread. You represent what this site offers to new members.

I'm a 45-year-old guy who grew up around cars and I've installed half a dozen stereos over the years. I just wanted to join the forum and ask a question. I'm sorry if that tweaked you, but I do thank you for the detailed answer. You helped clear up the mystery.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 898 Post(s)
Not meant to be snarky. I think we see a lot of wishful thinking dressed up as there has to be a way to have your cake and eat it too (no, there doesn't). I think the wishful thinking is additionally fueled by advertising that is somewhere between overblown and dishonest.

Most of the black box makers are in the business of retaining steering wheel control functionality. For some cars this is all you care about (ex. 2015 forester). For others, like the renegade, the head unit is access to the car's configuration, or at least a significant part of it. When they market their stuff, they usually base it around that insufficient goal.

There are a couple of head units that claim compatibility. They might work, but they are of the type of product where you are lucky if all the menus have localization text for english. And at $500-800 I'd have trouble trying them. If you are the kind of person for whom dropping $1k to mess around with it it might work out for you. But you'll be the first to post the results if you do it anytime soon.

One "option" i left off is that with the parallel amp system, you can also add a parallel head unit, the question is where do you put it. If tunes are your priority number one, this is viable, just give up the arm rest storage. However, I would not want to go through the hassle of undoing it later for a lease, although it can be done pretty stealthily other than at the battery terminals.

I've installed a bunch of stereos myself. The days of old aren't current days. The manufacturers are REALLY trying to push the aftermarket out for a variety of reasons.

IMO the factory head unit is pretty decent if you don't have the beats bug. The amp is sufficient. The speakers have some issues, and it'd be nice if they didn't have a prefab EQ curve laid on it, but that's about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:37 PM

I understand. Thanks for the reply and clarification. I'm coming to this car from a Volt and knew that stereo couldn't be replaced (it ran everything!), but I was hoping this could be a similar situation to my 05 Prius, which I could and did install an aftermarket stereo. Doesn't sound like it. Sad face.

My Beats system seems to be working fine. I've read the disappointment thread and it's hard to understand how so people's systems can be so bad, even after the update. I'm an audio engineer sometimes and it sounds like those who have the problem have their speakers wired out of phase.
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Upgrade to Uconnect 6.5 w/ nav?

So, I have a 2015 Latitude kind of bare bones with a Uconnect 5.0 radio. I would like to have a GPS in my dashboard and I thought instead of going to an aftermarket radio that might not work as well since the radio seems to be integrated into so much.. I should stick to a Jeep radio. So, can I (or more like can the service dept) get a 6.5 radio, put it in, and it just works? Or am I pretty much stuck with the radio I have? I don't want to run into any crazy issues with systems and things not working right
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

No.

The Renegade, like a lot of modern cars, is an amalgam of computers. They all need the right flavors of firmware on them to talk correctly between themselves. The dealers figure out how to keep this balance by the VIN. They do not know the secret sauce of what to flash everything to in the right order to make the 6.5 work in a non 6.5 VIN renegade, and don't want anything to do with it.

Of note, at least a couple folks getting the head unit replaced under warranty got a unit with firmware incorrect for the vehicle. This triggered the dealer software to say they needed updates in other computers in the vehicle. Once done following instructions the vehicles were bricked. At least one of them, FCA just did a vehicle buyback.

So... technically yes, you probably could if you knew exactly what to do and had the tools and the image files to set everything right. Practically, no you can't.

Feel free to ask your dealer though. Lots have, and the answer has always been no, at least in the US market.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks, I figured it would be something like that since new cars are just computers with wheels these days. I have an old dash mount GPS but it's not that great, it would have just been nice to have it in the dash when I need it rather than sitting at home on my desk when I get lost somewhere. I don't want to keep it in the car since it's easy to steal. I'll have to keep that in mind next time i get a new car and make sure I get the radio with all the bells and whistles I need from the get-go.

What would happen if I went with an aftermarket radio from a car audio shop? Would the car just not run without the uconnect telling it what to do?
post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
No.

The Renegade, like a lot of modern cars, is an amalgam of computers. They all need the right flavors of firmware on them to talk correctly between themselves. The dealers figure out how to keep this balance by the VIN. They do not know the secret sauce of what to flash everything to in the right order to make the 6.5 work in a non 6.5 VIN renegade, and don't want anything to do with it.

Of note, at least a couple folks getting the head unit replaced under warranty got a unit with firmware incorrect for the vehicle. This triggered the dealer software to say they needed updates in other computers in the vehicle. Once done following instructions the vehicles were bricked. At least one of them, FCA just did a vehicle buyback.

So... technically yes, you probably could if you knew exactly what to do and had the tools and the image files to set everything right. Practically, no you can't.

Feel free to ask your dealer though. Lots have, and the answer has always been no, at least in the US market.
I assume the same applies to the 3.0 system? Recently I've spoken with install companies that act as if they have replaced some Renegade head units without a hitch, others say it created a headache and they aren't interested in even trying.

I am trying to determine if it's even worth it.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott5626 View Post
I assume the same applies to the 3.0 system? Recently I've spoken with install companies that act as if they have replaced some Renegade head units without a hitch, others say it created a headache and they aren't interested in even trying.

I am trying to determine if it's even worth it.

I've been looking into the 3.0 for a friend of mine who didn't realize he was getting the super stripped down head unit on a lease trade.

At least in that arrangement it has zero control over vehicle functions, so should be replaceable with the right harnesses in theory.

The 3.0 owning renegade people will have to come in if that is so on the renegade.

post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
I've been looking into the 3.0 for a friend of mine who didn't realize he was getting the super stripped down head unit on a lease trade.

At least in that arrangement it has zero control over vehicle functions, so should be replaceable with the right harnesses in theory.

The 3.0 owning renegade people will have to come in if that is so on the renegade.
Just discovered tonight the 3.0 radio is still tied into the uconnect dash functions. I removed the head unit and lost all functionality with the steering wheel info controls. Metra tech support had me remove the head unit to determine if the mileage flashed. They said if it did not flash their wire harness would't work. If it did flash then the 6523-nav would correct it. It didn't flash after starting.

FYI it's insanely easy to remove the stock radio. 3-4 minutes top.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page