Upgrading one Uconnect Radio for another Question THREAD - Jeep Renegade Forum
 4Likes

post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Question Upgrading one Uconnect Radio for another Question THREAD

Hi All,

This is my first new vehicle ever, my first Jeep, and my first 4x4. I love my Renegade Latitude 4x4 but the Uconnect 5.0 system really kind of sucks. Has anyone upgraded to the 6.5 one after buying the Jeep with the 5.0? How much did it cost? Also, I am looking into Android Auto decks. Has anyone put one of those in? If so, can you still access the Jeeps vehicle settings through the Android Auto deck?

I need all the info I can get about this, please.

Thanks!

LittleRedJeep and sgworldwide like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
People have asked dealers if you can swap in the 6.5. They were told no. Given the integrated cell network that isn't in 5.0 cars, and the level of integration into the car, I doubt you could get the software all correct from their diagnostic system.

As for aftermarket integration, not likely. The only ones I know with the modern vehicle config stuff that you can swap have the fancy stuff on a separate display. Even those it is tricky.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just asked the Dealership today if I can swap my substandard radio (the basic model) for the 5.0 and was told no due to it will not communicate correctly. Whatever that means. Is this true?
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rece View Post
Just asked the Dealership today if I can swap my substandard radio (the basic model) for the 5.0 and was told no due to it will not communicate correctly. Whatever that means. Is this true?
Probably. The head unit is programmed to talk to the bcm and dash unit. They all need to be configured to be on the same page about the configuration of the other bits. Likely you are talking a whole lot of labor to get it all configured. For something like the 6.5 you need radios and antennas and wiring that isn't there.

Technically could it be done? Yeah they build them so they can be rebuilt to be the same. But if they told you it was going to take $8000 and two months of waiting for the next part they found out they missed, the answer would likely be no. So they say no.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 09:46 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 407 Post(s)
Garage
You aren't missing all that much with the 5.0. I like the 5.0 in my car (with 9 speaker upgrade). My other car has the 8.4 system and I don't use all the features that it has that the 5.0 doesn't (except the performance pages).

Save the headaches and if you really want a Renegade with the 6.4, trade yours in after a couple years. The audio systems (and the car) might be even better by then.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterTheEnding View Post
Hi All,

This is my first new vehicle ever, my first Jeep, and my first 4x4. I love my Renegade Latitude 4x4 but the Uconnect 5.0 system really kind of sucks. Has anyone upgraded to the 6.5 one after buying the Jeep with the 5.0? How much did it cost? Also, I am looking into Android Auto decks. Has anyone put one of those in? If so, can you still access the Jeeps vehicle settings through the Android Auto deck?

I need all the info I can get about this, please.

Thanks!

Your not missing noting other then the navigation all the other stuff like apps and u connect access is more trivial then anything and cost extra money with a subscription over $150 a year and that's not including Sirius another subscription fee there's no reason to really play with a radio display unless u got a passenger whos bored lol
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rece View Post
most likely yes the 3.0 radio is just am/fm theres no Sirius which means no antenna for the sat signal a new 5.0 HU will do nothing and then theres the back up camera not only that what people don't understand again another lesson on me working on caddys is a radio head unit is not just a radio anymore but usually the command center for the car when u start playing with things u don't understand or let techs do it like adding aftermarket add ons who also don't understand u run the risk of having major issues and even voiding your warranty u also most likely will lose stock controls when I had my caddys the radio was part of the theftlock and passkey system if u took it out the car and tried to start it the car knows its not there so the car actually engaged the engine immobilizer and it lost comms with the ecu meaning good luck driving the car with out it since the vin was also programed in the radio making it useless to use in another car we on the forums had a guy who was a electrical engineer former GM employee make us a custom harness to trick the computer into thinking the OEM HU was there still lost stock controls though ether way anything can be done with money but make sure you find some one who knows the wiring diagram and has knowledge of electrical circuits because it might require a work around enjoy!!!

Last edited by sgworldwide; 09-13-2015 at 02:27 AM.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I also have a 5.0N. Right now, I'm considering just getting an iPad mini, buying a dash mount and using that. I don't know much about Android tablets, but would that work for you?

One of my sons spoke to the "lead audio" guy at a dealership and he said that there are a few different wiring diagrams for the jeep renegade. According to him, it's not possible to do a simple swap of the 5.0N for the 6.5. As far as replacing the head unit with a third party, the 3.0 doesn't have the car functions built in, but the others do. He wasn't sure if any third party head units would work with 5.0N and 6.5.

My son did find a video of someone who had replaced his head unit, but he's Italian:
, so I guess it's possible.

You may be interested in these discussions if you haven't already found them:

Can navigation be added to the lower end uconnect?

Renegade Audio Guide & Head Unit Removal
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
And here's another video where he replaces 5.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysBQ...youtu.be&t=39s

Last edited by repete7; 09-14-2015 at 08:43 PM.
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:14 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Installing an aftermarket unit isn't a big deal. All that's required is wiring. Matra or one of the companies just recently released a wiring harness adapter. Unlikely you'd be able to retain ability to adjust vehicle settings. So if you're going to go that route... make sure you are really happy with your settings before swapping out the head units. And, if you disconnect the battery after you've set your settings, my guess is everything will be reset to default.
repete7 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page