post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Mike
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Garage
Exclamation Uconnect Security/Anti-Theft Code

Hi.
I own a Jeep renegade model 2015 with a "UCONNECT® 5.0/RA2".
I read in the manual provided with the car that for security reasons the Uconnect Radio locks in case of theft attempt (or when the car is out of battery) and needs a 4 digit security code to unlock. This 4 digit security code is written on a card which is provided together with the service manual.

Unfortunately when I bought the car, the card with the 4digit security code was not included in the car's service manual.

I contacted my dealer and he advised that the only way to order a new card is to take the Uconnect radio out of my dashboard in order to view the product code (serial number). With the product code they can then order the new Uconnect card with the security code.

Do you know if there is any other method to view the product code without having to take out the Uconnect radio?
Is there any other way to order the 4 digit security card? Maybe I can see this info in the Uconnect System settings? Maybe they can do that if I just give the Vin code of the car?

The car is brand new and I would not want to cause any damage to it, or create any creaking noises in the dashboard etc by taking out the Radio.

Any reply will be very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Jeep Renegade Alpine White Limited edition FWD, 1.4L turbo, 170hp, 26,5kgms Torque, 6 speed manual transmission.
Extras: Electrical Glass Sunroof (Dual Pane), 18" wheels, keyless entry.
Mods: K&N Panel filter, Blue Spark Tuning Box, SprintBooster go pedal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Well 2 things.

1) I have the 5.0, and didn't get any code.

2) I have never seen a manual for the RA2, only the 6.5 system. Not in paper, not on the dvd, not downloadable, nothing. (if anyone has a link, I'll be glad to look).

Perhaps the code only appies to the 6.5?

Stupid thing talks to the can bus. Why would one need a code, just have it initially pair to the VIN, and then happily let it crank away as long as it is installed int he right vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:42 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Garage
I have a code with the 5.0 - it came in a tiny white unmarked envelope with all my paperwork. It was very easy to overlook and actually almost got thrown away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
Well 2 things.

1) I have the 5.0, and didn't get any code.

2) I have never seen a manual for the RA2, only the 6.5 system. Not in paper, not on the dvd, not downloadable, nothing. (if anyone has a link, I'll be glad to look).

Perhaps the code only appies to the 6.5?

Stupid thing talks to the can bus. Why would one need a code, just have it initially pair to the VIN, and then happily let it crank away as long as it is installed int he right vehicle.
That makes me feel a little better...
I have a manual for the Uconnect 5.0 but it is in Greek... :P I will try to find one in English and upload it here for reference.

I am not planning to change radio or install my radio to another vehicle.
I am just worried in case of i.e. a battery failure (change of battery or any case that the vehicle will be out of electrical power), that when I replace the battery and turn on the radio, it will ask for this security code.
If it will just pair itself automatically to the VIN of the car and start working, I have no problem at all.

How sure are you about this?

Jeep Renegade Alpine White Limited edition FWD, 1.4L turbo, 170hp, 26,5kgms Torque, 6 speed manual transmission.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 899 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by madvinegar View Post
That makes me feel a little better...
I have a manual for the Uconnect 5.0 but it is in Greek... :P I will try to find one in English and upload it here for reference.

I am not planning to change radio or install my radio to another vehicle.
I am just worried in case of i.e. a battery failure (change of battery or any case that the vehicle will be out of electrical power), that when I replace the battery and turn on the radio, it will ask for this security code.
If it will just pair itself automatically to the VIN of the car and start working, I have no problem at all.

How sure are you about this?
Not at all, I just know there are lots of people without the code. As for thinking the secret code thing for a factory installed radio that talks to the BCM over can-bus is stupid.. that I'm 100% sure of.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
My father owns the nissan quasqai.
He left the car for about a month without using it and the battery drained out.
I had to jump start the car.
The car turned on just fine but when I switched on the radio, it asked for a 4 digit security code.
Luckily my father had this radio security card in his glove box and I could get the radio working again.

This is what I am afraid that might happen in my renegade. And this is why I opened this thread.
If you ask me, I totally agree with you. As long as the radio is installed in the original car, it should not ask for a security code. The existence of this security code should be only when your radio is stollen and someone tries to install it in a different vehicle.

P.S.: I do not know if the Nissan has can-bus or not.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
The card with the radio code was included with my Renegade, and the salesman took it out and showed it to me as we were finalizing the sale. I remember because the four-digit code is the same as the month and day of my birthday! So I figured I was meant to buy this vehicle.

As a bonus, if the card gets lost, there isn't much chance of me forgetting the code.

2015 Renegade Latitude 1.4T
2015 Fiat 500 Sport - wife's

- project
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 12:24 PM

First Name: Bryan
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Garage
This doesn't help with your question, but my 5.0 radio displayed the "enter 4 digit security code" message once a few months ago and the radio was dead (except for the message). When I shut down the car and re-started it, the radio worked normally and I haven't seen that message again.

I carefully looked through all my paperwork and could not find any envelope or paper with the 4 digit code.

Vehicles:
2015 Renegade Trailhawk - Silver (Glacier Metallic)
2015 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack
2014 H-D Road King
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T (traded)
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLShifter View Post
The card with the radio code was included with my Renegade, and the salesman took it out and showed it to me as we were finalizing the sale. I remember because the four-digit code is the same as the month and day of my birthday! So I figured I was meant to buy this vehicle.

As a bonus, if the card gets lost, there isn't much chance of me forgetting the code.
Wow what are the chances? That's pretty awesome.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-05-2015, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwbike View Post
This doesn't help with your question, but my 5.0 radio displayed the "enter 4 digit security code" message once a few months ago and the radio was dead (except for the message). When I shut down the car and re-started it, the radio worked normally and I haven't seen that message again.

I carefully looked through all my paperwork and could not find any envelope or paper with the 4 digit code.
Actually it may be of assistance. Was this message displayed without any particular reason or because you disconnected the battery (or something similar).

I don't really care to get the code if the Uconnect does not need it (as long as it stays connected to my car).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page