2016 Beats Audio Disappointment THREAD [Update to fix now available] - Jeep Renegade Forum
 67Likes

post #1 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
2016 Beats Audio Disappointment THREAD [Update to fix now available]

Quick question about the front door speakers...

Does anyone know if the front door speakers are strictly for bass or are they supposed to sound like the rear door speakers and give a crisp, clear sound? I'm only getting bass out of mine. It almost sounds muffled.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Glad to hear more people are realizing the issue and are coming forward!! I had 2015 renegade limited with "9 speaker premium audio upgrade". Sounded fantastic and had plenty of volume around 25 setting. At 30 setting it was pounding. Subwoofer made mirrors shake on the car. I liked the new color options on the new renegades and decided to trade up to a 2016 renegade trailhawk with the" beats audio 9 speaker upgrade". Sounds horrible..at the max volume setting its still not as loud as the 2015. Went back into the dealership and compared it with other 2016 renegades and they all sound horrible. Sound just about the same as the 2016 without the 9 speaker upgrade. Dealer said I could either take the car or change my mind and that there may be a recall on it coming up in the near future. I took the car to my local car audio installer and he said that he believes the speaker wires are hooked up incorrectly. if you listen to each individual speaker, it really shows. Out of the front door 6x9's they are all sub bass and nothing else. Out of the rear 6x9's it is all mids, and out of the rear subwoofer, its almost all high end. If I cut into the wiring it will void the warranty. Called jeep and filed a complaint and they said if they get enough complaints about it, they will make a recall on it and fix the issue but it could take several months if not longer. They really didn't seem to have concern or care for the issue. If not, there is nothing that will happen. Maybe a lot of new owners never heard the 2015 model and don't know what to expect it to sound like. Mp4's sound better than older mp3's I have found. So frustrating....

What I did to "fix" the issue....On the drivers side in the trunk area is an access panel and if you look way down in there, that is the location of the power amp for the radio. Its only a few bolts and clips to get enough access to be able to unclip the harness and use T-taps to tap into the 2 wires for a LOC converter. I went to a local stereo pawn shop and picked up a 12" subwoofer with an enclosure and a power amp, a LOC converter at best buy, and a complete wiring kit from Walmart, all for around $150.00. I ended up wiring up another subwoofer and the radio sounds 100% better and more even sounding from front to rear. Even though its still not correct, I learned that all the speaker signals that come out of the factory amp and go to the different speakers are all frequency crossed over directly in the amp, so if there is a recall, it may be just as simple as replacing the power amp in the car. In the meantime, I'm 100% more satisfied with my radio now, even though it cost me $150, but it was a small price to pay to not stay frustrated and I didn't have to alter anything on the car to do it. Jeep has a nice grommet location right above the brake pedal to run the power wire so no cutting, drilling, etc. Keyed power is right near the rear fusebox..ground is right there also. Worst of the job was running the power wire.If anyone wants to know or see what I did, please let me know. As stated earlier, I'm hoping for a recall, but I gotta say, a 12" sub sounds way better than the 6.5" stock one.
Tamer Bekir and CherBear like this.

Last edited by jtownpen; 02-25-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #3 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow! Thanks for all the info. Huge help!
post #4 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Or you could have just realized that anything with Beats or Dr. Dre on it is just going to sound horrible.
post #5 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
I was originally going to buy the 2015 TH and the 9 speaker option was included in the popular equipment group, which I was getting to have the 40/20/40 rear seats mainly. I started to like the idea of getting the upgraded audio and was hugely disappointed when they added the beats name and the 2016 came out before I got my order in. Since the upgraded audio had grown on me, I made the jump to order the premium audio. I wasn't happy they added the Beats name and the outrageous cost difference between what it was before, but did it anyway. I haven't taken delivery yet, but I fear when I do, how bad the audio may sound. I'm not one to go around pumping bass and listen mostly to classic rock, rock and roll, etc. And never too loudly, but want it to sound good. I'll see in a couple weeks I guess.

Service Engine: Mar 11; 272 miles
Service Engine: May 6; 3214 miles
Service Engine: July 16; 6305 miles
TCM Replaced: 9200 miles
Service Engine: Aug 30; 9275 miles
Service Engine: Sep 3; 9380 miles
Service Engine: Oct 10; 10,956 miles

Service Engine: Oct 31; 11,544 miles
Service Engine: Nov 14; 11,931 miles
Transmission replaced: ~12,000 miles
Service Engine: Nov 29; 12,183
At dealership 11/30-12/30.
New Wiring Harness installed ~12k miles.
Service Engine: Jan 4: 12,318 miles
post #6 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
The whole "Beats" thing is one of the biggest scams ever. Not just the Renegade. Their "high end" headphones are nothing special. Dre is laughing all the way to the bank.
WanderingClump likes this.

Randy
=IF DOGS DON'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO=
post #7 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
I only have the 6 speakers audio. Sounds ok to me but I am not expert. Only thing is when I turn up my favorite songs. The whole driver door shakes and rattles. Takes the joy out of it for sure.
post #8 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 851 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzel View Post
I only have the 6 speakers audio. Sounds ok to me but I am not expert. Only thing is when I turn up my favorite songs. The whole driver door shakes and rattles. Takes the joy out of it for sure.
Very odd, because even with having broken two door clips and having replacement speakers that can only use three of the screw holes to mount them in the doors, mine is really quite solid. I like the design of the doors a whole lot more than my last two cars in that regards. The seat belts can rattle like mad if positioned incorrectly though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
well I am pretty sure it is the door panels. When I press the door panel in certain spots the rattling stops. No big deal I am going to have the dealer look at it.
post #10 of 381 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I was told when I called jeep, the 2015 "9 speaker upgrade" and the 2016 "beats audio upgrade" are the exact same thing and they are just rebranding it with a new name associated with Beats Audio. Supposed to be exactly the same speakers, radios ,etc. Only thing I have noticed is it seems to me there is an issue with the 2016 power amps either sending the wrong signal to the wrong speakers, or they have changed the speaker crossover frequency point inside the amp and it seems to be causing unbalanced sound issues and volume issues while listening to different mp3 files and different radio stations. Some iTunes mp4's, sound really great and some older mp3's sound very poor. Some XM stations sound really good, and some not so much. These sound issues were not so drastic on the 2015 renegade. Again, given that "IF" they are the exact same systems just branded differently for selling purposes, there is something wrong with the amplifiers. IF anyone is considering not purchasing a renegade for this issue or not spending the money for the 9 speakers, take a mp3 stick along with you and listen to a few different mp3 files of good quality and poor quality and you will understand what to expect. I think the 9 speaker option is totally worth it when it is working correctly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page