Battery Charge / Stop-Start - Jeep Renegade Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Question Battery Charge / Stop-Start

Have noticed recently that the stop-start hasn't been cutting in on my Jeep.

On the new Jeep Skills app on uConnect, I happened to notice that the Battery state is hovering around the 65 to 70% level - and the charge rate is almost always non-existent.

I drive 50 miles a day, at a steady cross-country speed - not stuck in traffic, so I would expect the battery to be given a good charge each day.

I was wondering if the Jeep Skills app was reliable, and if so, would this explain why the stop-start wasn't working - i.e. the battery is not fully charging?

1.6 Limited, 2wd 120HP in Colorado Red, Two-tone wheels and Panoramic Sunroof plus packs for Infotainment, Visibility, Towing and Function Pack 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Ok I hadn't driven for a few days (5) and I took a look at mine.

After starting (and about 2 min sat on the driveway trying to work out what speaker has died in the jeep) here is what mine was showing:

And this was shown on the voltage I think about 10 miles:

Li
The display showed between 5 and 7A, it was about 15 deg C today (the Jeep temperature sensor is a lying useless thing - it is in the wing mirror so ignore that 20 deg C it had been in the sun.

On other days when climate is working or I have the lights on the current can swing from - to + and by quite a lot. Today it sat at anywhere between 4 and 7A.

The battery percentage went up to about 78% and the voltage was at 14.4V.

Edited to add Ive never seen the battery show such low % on the app. Is yours a diesel or petrol? The diesel battery may be larger....
Julian Osborne likes this.

Last edited by ridders; 03-17-2017 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2017, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for checking Ridders - my charging voltage on the main panel is also showing 14 Volts...

I've got the 1.6 Diesel - but never checked the battery level until the Jeep Skills app let me!

Diagnostically, I've disconnected every extra drain item (Dashcam, phone charger etc) but it makes no difference to the charge rate.

Today the Battery charge was showing 62% - but on the way home from my drive today, the charge current was varying from 1A up to a fully-deflected positive reading (something like 20A !?!), and then back down again - and the final battery charge reading was 65% after a 10 mile drive.

I've spoken with Jeep Leicester, and they've booked it in to check - but not until 3rd April, so I've got to keep my eye on it for a while. If it drops below 50% - I'll take it in directly.

1.6 Limited, 2wd 120HP in Colorado Red, Two-tone wheels and Panoramic Sunroof plus packs for Infotainment, Visibility, Towing and Function Pack 2

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Osborne View Post
Today the Battery charge was showing 62% - but on the way home from my drive today, the charge current was varying from 1A up to a fully-deflected positive reading (something like 20A !?!), and then back down again - and the final battery charge reading was 65% after a 10 mile drive.
ive certainly seen some significant Amps shown going both ways and the cycling back to low Amps in the past (both positive and negative) with lights and climate on working the compressor so I wouldn't worry about that.

It could well be your battery capacity being down, so the system doesn't want to kill the engine as it thinks the battery is below a certain level.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Well, Jeep has gone into the Dealer now - battery was steady at about 62% and getting no better...

Interestingly, the Service dept said they had another Renegade in with the same problem at the moment - so they are putting it on charge overnight and seeing what the charge rate is.

Courtesy Car is a 2016 2.2 Diesel Cherokee 4x4 with plenty of extras - not a bad swap...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just out of curiosity, my battery on my 2015 is always at half way mark on the dash readout (like above) I don't have the jeep skills app, but should the bat be at the 18 mark on dash read out or at halfway? I thought half way was normal?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Got my Jeep back, and the battery charge was showing at 93% on the Jeep Skills app - stop-start working fine.

Dealer said no problems with battery or charging circuit - and that I probably shouldn't trust the reading on uConnect.

Since then, the battery percentage has begun to drop away again - and it's now back to 80% - just a little over the half-way mark.

Maybe time to raise a case with Jeep Support?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170409_143955783_iOS.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	2396325114   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170407_104234039_iOS.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2396325122  

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

Case now raised with Jeep Support - as % is still dropping!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
The battery charge in the dash betwee tach and speedo should read around 14v, this is essentially your alternator readout, that it is putting out efficiently to keep the battery charged - it won't change much in normal use. (Warning lights that look like a battery are usually a warning that the alternator or charging system has failed and the car is running off its battery alone, not an indicator there is something wrong with the battery)

The Jeep skills app showing amps I suspect is showing amp Load which represents the current draw on the system. (I am guessing) If you connect something power hungry to the 100v inverter for example I would expect the amp load to go up.

The Battery Status gauge I think is intending to show battery health as it relates to voltage...
Commonly held statuses are as follows

Battery Voltage and State of Charge:

12.66v . . . . . . . . . . 100%
12.45v . . . . . . . . . . 75%
12.24v . . . . . . . . . . 50%
12.06v . . . . . . . . . . 25%
11.89v . . . . . . . . . . 0%

Keep in mind 100% is an ideal state and not really attainable.
If your battery voltage is less than 12.45 volts (75 percent charged), it is low and should be recharged. This can be done by connecting a portable battery charger to your battery, or by driving your car for 15 to 20 minutes at 40 mph or faster.

Automotive lead-acid batteries should be maintained at a 75 percent charge level or higher for best performance and life. If the battery is allowed to run down and is not brought back up to 75 percent or higher charge within a few days, the battery may be permanently damaged. Sulfation can prevent the cell plates inside the battery from accepting a full charge. Over time, this will lead to diminished battery performance and life.

Source: http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/us20310.htm

But there are many reliable sources for this info.

Long story short, I don't think 80% reading is an indication of a "problem" - sometimes the granularity of detail we can now get in this modern world makes us look for problems that aren't really there. It's human nature. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that comprehensive comment!

The initial problem was that the stop-start wasn't functioning - and my primitive diagnostic brain remembered (from my previous car) that one of the many factors that affects that is battery charge - and a Jeep Skills reading steadily dropping seemed to indicate that was true.

Even with nothing plugged into the USB/Power Inverter/Cigarette Lighter the Charge Amp level seems to yo-yo from heavy negative to heavy positive (as you say, 14V is a fairly steady reading on the charge meter) - whilst travelling at a constant speed - so it gives credibility to the fact that the Jeep Skills app is a bit vague!

My daily commute is 20 miles of reasonable-speed cross-country each way - so should be ideal for battery charging - in fact, even when the stop-start was working regularly, it would only cut in maybe once or twice on the drive. I have driven 27k miles with work in the last 15 months - so the car gets a very good work-out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page