Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Renegade Latitude off-road capabilities

49K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Staylor42 
#1 ·
I am in the process of buying Renegade Latitude and I wanted to know what the off-roading capabilities on the car are. I know they won't be as good as the TH, but I want to know to what extremes can I take the Latitude. My dealer didn't have any TH and I needed to replace my current car. I'm not looking to do extreme off-roading, but I wanted to know if I could take it on trails and be fine.
This is my first Jeep so I'm new to all this. Thanks everyone!

#44 ·
I crawled up a hill that a lot of other vehicles have to get a running start to get up earlier at the lake. There is a levee you have to go down to, than across, then down the levee to get to the boat launch.

Brother in law has difficulty as well as near everyone else that goes out there, but I put it in Mud 4wd lock and 1st gear (manual) and a little throttle and let it crawl right up it.

Love this 4wd system, it's crazy good for what you'd expect. (Yes to whom may ask, there's a full sized spare in the back ;) )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#47 ·
I really think Spitfire nailed it. Anyone who looks at the Renegade (without having seen any videos!) will have a reasonable impression of it's off-road capabilities. (Meaning, if you don't think it's an off-road monster, you're right. But it's a Jeep, so it should be more capable than a KIA or something similar, that is also right.) It is not an off-road monster. Is that what you were looking to buy?However, it will be more capable than your first impression. I've seen the videos and it is much more capable off-road than it looks. That is a FACT!! I have taken it off-road (nothing like in the videos) with stock tires and it handles deep ruts, rocks the size of a 50lb dog, shallow slick clay mud and semi loose rock hills just fine. If the Wrangler was better on gas I would have been all over it. I still need something to get me back and forth to work without cutting into grocery money. Hey, just my opinion. By the way, anyone consider cutting the bottom lip off the front bumper? Looks like it's going to get in the way.

#50 ·
Just buy a Trailhawk bumper off of ebay in a few years when they become readily available. Cutting the ABS moulded plastic lip off is going to look ghetto, as it will have rough edges and it will look like you cut it off since there is no clear cutting point that would be good to start at.

#49 ·
Before I would start "cutting" anything, I would just trade up to a TH or a wrangler, don`t make something into something it is not meant to do. Lifts, tires, add ons, etc. are a loss, you never get your money back. IMHO of course

#51 ·
I bought a 75th Anniversary UK spec that was delivered last Saturday. I've never driven off road before and this was the first trip off road using the factory spec. The Latitude 4x4 would be very similar in off road capability to the 75th 4x4. Our UK lanes are different to USA off road trails, but this is more proof that the 75th (and Latitude) would be more than capable of off roading on mud tracks with ruts, rain water, deep tracks, tight vegetation. (and yes, I bought a spare wheel as an option :) ). Also threw a spade in the boot. I'll try and get more videos as I go off roading in the UK more. A really enjoyable experience. Videod here was not the most challenging aspect of the lane, simply, the Renegade kept moving forward without any issues - felt a bit slippery at points (but I think this is because it could do with tyres that are better than the stock tyres), but well handled this local off road "byroad".

#59 ·
I didn't expect the Renegade to be as good off road as my TJs, but it surprised me today. I was just goofing off on a few trails across from my house. It did everything I asked of it. Would I try Durhamtown ORV or Tellico? Hell no, but its a great mild trail rig exploration rig.

#70 ·
When I was stationed in Iceland (1993 - 1994), I had a Suzuki Jimny 3 cylinder 4x4 that was held together by bondo and welded in rebar (Seabeas can make just about anything better)!

It was the best $1K I ever spent on a 4x4 vehicle because it didn't have enough power to spin the wheels = it just climbed over the lava rocks...

It was RWD with manually locking hubs 17 inch wheels, no air or radio but it was a blast "rock climbing" in Iceland with it!

...fast forward to now, I don't think I'll have much trouble in a Renegade "lifted" latitude (1.4T manual)...

#72 ·
I have a latitude and the undercarriage is dented for sure although no harm to critical systems. I have also gotten her stuck once.....still not sure how although with the tow hitch was able to get out with no issues. I wish the dealer had been honest with me although they were not so I do not have the TH.

What I do know is that the Latitude does very well off road, I have had it through mud and water on dirt roads and jeep trails and even had to make my own for a rescue as well as snow that was over the bumper. Here is a photo, it does not look like much but the portion was extremely steep, loose gravel and large rocks through out. I think you will be happy with the Lattitude, especially with members here creating awesome skid plates and the like for it.

[/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.