Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Renegade Latitude off-road capabilities

49K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  Staylor42 
#1 ·
I am in the process of buying Renegade Latitude and I wanted to know what the off-roading capabilities on the car are. I know they won't be as good as the TH, but I want to know to what extremes can I take the Latitude. My dealer didn't have any TH and I needed to replace my current car. I'm not looking to do extreme off-roading, but I wanted to know if I could take it on trails and be fine.
This is my first Jeep so I'm new to all this. Thanks everyone!

#3 ·
If you're looking at rouigh roads and the odd trail, you should be fine. Lots of videos out there of Renegades tackling stuff most of us wouldn't even try.

Others can correct me here, but the biggest advantage the TH has offroad is a front bumper with a better approach angle (at the expense of an air dam), lower differential gearing, and a "rock" setting on the 4WD system (that takes advantage of the lower differential gearing to allow a very low "crawl" gear, using 1st gear on the automatic transmission which is normally not used during regular driving). It also has a "hill descent" mode which controls the speed down a steep hill. These are features which are important to serious off-roaders, but from what you describe I doubt you'll miss them.

#7 ·
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.

#10 ·
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.
Yeahhhhhhhhh Rightttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!

#8 ·
I don't think about "I only have a Latitude". I just think, "It's a Jeep, I'll be fine."

This isn't my first Jeep, but it is the first I've bought since the invention of the Trailhawk badge. I refuse to conform to some design teams' idea of what I can and cannot do in my Jeep. :)

#11 · (Edited)
Get the Latitude and go for it! I did and haven't looked back......proving ALL the naysayers wrong time-and-time again! I'm a Jeep-Mom and this machine ROCKS!! No baby-drivin' in the "rain only" here and I drive it daily....EVERYWHERE with 28k trouble-free miles on the clock already!!! Pavement is for sissy's!!

See for yourself in pictures AND video!

http://www.jeeprenegadeforum.com/fo...ade-can-make-sand-dunes-win-trophies-lol.html

#19 ·
I want to take my FWD Longitude (UK/European equivalent of Latitude & North) off the black top and see what it can/can't do, as a comparison to a 4x4 Sport, Latitude and Limited. Mine is stock including the tyres.

#32 ·
#34 · (Edited)
But wait.....how can this be? Without low range, larger tires, more ground clearance, more articulation and it having a crappy traction control system, these machines just CAN'T do what you prove they can in these photos.....they just CAN'T! Must be photo-shopped pics or the spare tire made it all happen... ;)

Hee-Hee.... >:D :laugh:

All joking aside, that's AWESOME and proof positive once again that these machines CAN handle more than a "dirt road with a stone here or there" and in my humble opinion, have EARNED the Jeep heritage namesake! :cool:

Big mountainous Sand Dunes like I travel on and rough back-country trails like this post shows may not be what these machines were engineered for, but they still do it anyway....and with style, the CD player going and the A/C on!

I LOVE my machine OP and from what we've shown you here in this thread, it's MORE than capable to handle anything you might throw at it, based on your original post. Pull the trigger and get one...you'll LOVE it! :)

Cheers!
:x

#37 ·
This is getting a bit silly. THe OP wanted to know what differences there were between the non-"trail-rated" Renegades and the Trailhawk; most of the items were listed on the first page.

I don't think any one could reasonably expect a Renegade to meet the offroad capabilities of a JK, which is designed and built to excell offroad--to the detriment of on-road and highway capabilites. The Renegade is an on-road vehicle with offroad capabilites, with the Trailhawk putting just a bit more emphasis in that area.

Yes, the spare tire is an option. Mine doesn't have one--so I'lll put one in (at least it has the space for a spare!). But the fact is, I expect most Renegade owners will limit their off-roading to rough roads with the odd rock; sure, some will do some serious wheeling, but most of those folks will likely modify their vehicles (and add a spare tire...).

If you want a truly serious offroad vehicle, perhaps a Unimog or a Tatra...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.