Renegade Latitude off-road capabilities - Jeep Renegade Forum
 63Likes

post #1 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Renegade Latitude off-road capabilities

I am in the process of buying Renegade Latitude and I wanted to know what the off-roading capabilities on the car are. I know they won't be as good as the TH, but I want to know to what extremes can I take the Latitude. My dealer didn't have any TH and I needed to replace my current car. I'm not looking to do extreme off-roading, but I wanted to know if I could take it on trails and be fine.
This is my first Jeep so I'm new to all this. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

First Name: Kevin
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Garage
It ain't a car, it's a Jeep. A lot of people make that mistake. I assume that you are looking at a 4x4 Latitude? The Renegade 4x4 is quite capable off road, from what I have read. Are you keeping the stock set up or going for upgrades?
CherBear and Jeep Jon like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Enjoying my Renegade Longitude 1.4 turbo. Order one, you know you want to.....

Last edited by kevinfourlegs; 07-28-2016 at 03:54 AM.
post #3 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
If you're looking at rouigh roads and the odd trail, you should be fine. Lots of videos out there of Renegades tackling stuff most of us wouldn't even try.

Others can correct me here, but the biggest advantage the TH has offroad is a front bumper with a better approach angle (at the expense of an air dam), lower differential gearing, and a "rock" setting on the 4WD system (that takes advantage of the lower differential gearing to allow a very low "crawl" gear, using 1st gear on the automatic transmission which is normally not used during regular driving). It also has a "hill descent" mode which controls the speed down a steep hill. These are features which are important to serious off-roaders, but from what you describe I doubt you'll miss them.
Jeep Jon likes this.

post #4 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 PM

First Name: Dennis
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
The TH has what Spitfire said plus tow hooks and skid plates.
Jeep Jon and captadv like this.

2015 Renegade Latitude - Sierra Blue
post #5 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgr401 View Post
The TH has what Spitfire said plus tow hooks and skid plates.
Right--forgot about that.

I've been told that a more capable vehicle is usually better at getting stuck, so the towhooks are probably gonna be needed.
post #6 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't forget the 0.8inch lift!
Jeep Jon likes this.
post #7 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.
post #8 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Garage
I don't think about "I only have a Latitude". I just think, "It's a Jeep, I'll be fine."

This isn't my first Jeep, but it is the first I've bought since the invention of the Trailhawk badge. I refuse to conform to some design teams' idea of what I can and cannot do in my Jeep. :-)
Jeep Jon likes this.
post #9 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Push it, take it to the limit, LittleRedJeep! It will talk back to you and also maybe show you its limits after looking at the exterior of your vehicle after traversing extreme topography. Hopefully, a trip to dealer service department will not be necessary.
Jeep Jon likes this.
post #10 of 77 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 02:27 AM

First Name: Jen
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cherokee View Post
The Latitude, Limited, and Sport are basically restricted to dirt roads with a rock here and there. Reasons for this are no low range (not even the Trailhawk has low range), no recovery points, most importantly, no spare tire. You put a hole in the sidewall you are SOL. You also have to consider a Suburban is more capable offroad than a Trailhawk.
Yeahhhhhhhhh Rightttttttttttttttttttt!!!!!!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahha!!!
mad trapper and Jeep Jon like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page