Surprise! - Page 17 - Jeep Renegade Forum
 75Likes
Closed Thread

post #161 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
There is actually a power washing company in my town that uses an Abarth 500 any a tiny power washing rig/trailer. It is so sad. And cute. And sad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newadventurer View Post
There is actually a power washing company in my town that uses an Abarth 500 any a tiny power washing rig/trailer. It is so sad. And cute. And sad.
They pull 500lbs, so it does work lol. But cmon, a ride you can enjoy and work out of? What's not to love!

Mine only totes the race wheels/tires in the back seat as well as the jack, tools, 2x fold up chairs, a 10x10 canopy, and me and another person to the track, without a trailer 😂

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #163 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowshaggy View Post
May I have my thread back now? I appreciate the whole 2 or 3 constructive things you've had to say, but you clearly hate this vehicle so why don't you just get rid of it?

I bought this largely to entertain myself, I found the limit that no one else had yet found.

This was intended to be the hunting rig that got decent gas mileage and doesn't get stuck in wet grass.

As I said, we ALL now know exactly where the failure point is, someone was going to find it. Just glad no one was mid-emergency when it happened.

If I was to use the Renegade as a hunting rig, I would have bought for something more robust and meant for off road like the Trailhawk. Or, in fact, I probably would have bought a XJ, TJ, YJ, or a CJ.

The failure point is how the bumper was used. The bumper was not meant to be pulled on but to function as a cage to protect the occupants..... The force that was applied to it was directly opposite from which it was designed to handle. That is why the Trailhawk bumper is a totally different design and is equipped with the red hooks.... And even with that, the procedure is to use two points to pull rather than one.

I just have a hard time understanding poo-pooping the Renegade, bumper, and I bolt when they where used outside of their design
Gravitywell and Localobxer like this.

post #164 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
The failure point is how the bumper was used. The bumper was not meant to be pulled on but to function as a cage to protect the occupants..... The force that was applied to it was directly opposite from which it was designed to handle. That is why the Trailhawk bumper is a totally different design and is equipped with the red hooks.... And even with that, the procedure is to use two points to pull rather than one.

I just have a hard time understanding poo-pooping the Renegade, bumper, and I bolt when they where used outside of their design
Totally agree regards the bumper. Of interest, the European Trailhawks dont have the red hooks fixed to the body at the front, but do have a opening in the plastic bumper that allows the supplied towing hook (screws in with a ring at end) to be installed. It is installed into the front impact bumper that has the outer plastic bumper attached to the front of it. The rear red tow hook is fitted to the body of the European Trailhawk, at the rear.

Manual states:
IMPORTANT Only use suitable tow bars and other equipment, following the Manufacturer’s instructions. Connect the tow bars or other tow equipment to the main structural components of the vehicle and not to the bumpers or other related brackets.

Further it states on use of the tow hooks (these are the screw in rings):
The front and rear tow hooks should be used only for emergencies on the road. You are allowed to tow the vehicle for short distances using an appropriate device in accordance with the highway code (a rigid bar), to move the vehicle on the road in readiness for towing or transport via a breakdown vehicle. Tow hooks MUST NOT be used to tow vehicles off the road or where there are obstacles and/or for towing operations using cables or other non-rigid devices. In compliance with the above conditions, towing must take place with the two vehicles (one towing, the other towed) aligned as much as possible along the same centre line.

Which leaves me to summarise that the European TrailHawks do not have the ability to be towed off road, from the front using the supplied tow hook.

Last edited by ridders; 10-31-2016 at 07:27 AM.
post #165 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
"I found the limit that no one else had yet found."

Many of us already knew where the limits were. All you did was confirm it.

You must not hunt very far out, as the Renegade can't even get to the spot where I like to practice shooting. It lacks the ground clearance needed.

I would love to get rid on my Renegade, but the trade in value is so low that I am stuck with it for a while. It does get good gas mileage, but at 15,000 miles, mine is getting ready for a new transmission.
Gravitywell and BU1tj2 like this.
post #166 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

I think we've quoted the owners manual quote enough times now, thanks.

@Indiana Jones , I have an issue that the welds failed like they did. Don't know your knowledge regarding welding, but if you look closely at the photos you can very clearly see that they were not the right temperature and full of air bubbles and that is why the welds failed. I don't see why some of us have a hard time with that concept.

Anyhow, we are all collectively over that now. The whole hunting rig thing, I don't know where you think I'm going, but it sure isn't in a place those things are necessary. The 2wd Frontier we had would have gone there without issue, but the Juke Nismo RS or Abarth certainly were not going. Neither have the ground clearance, Abarth has 2.7in or so and the Juke only had about 4.5-5in. The stupid Frontier got stuck on wet grass on a very slight hill, granted tires would take care of that, but it had other reasons to leave.

What I said about the bumper is it is stupid to totally redesign an aluminum bumper when you already had a steel one. Aluminum is what, 3x the cost of steel? Sure, save 3lbs, but spend 3x the money just doesn't make sense. Not asking for the magical red towhooks on all models, but damn can we all have a steel bumper.

Guess I wait for the next unnecessary criticism, by all means continue, that's the whole reason I made this thread wasn't it? Probably too much to ask for considering some of the crowd around here.

Last edited by Shadowshaggy; 10-31-2016 at 08:39 AM.
post #167 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I'd like to request that a forum admin lock this thread, thanks.

runnergeek likes this.
post #168 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 11:46 AM

First Name: Matt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Why close it ? This is good stuff..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fguox1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	53258  

2016 Jeep Renegade Limited, 2.4, Automatic, 4x4, 6.5 navigation, Grey leather, power& heated seats, mirrors and steering wheel, Dual climate, MySky, Full spare and tow pkg. 18" wheels.

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande Edition. all Original 200k miles

1976 Corvette Stingray, 350, auto, all original, 80k miles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #169 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Well for some of us it's all good, but for those that just have the overwhelming desire to troll so many people on the forum, nah I'm good.

I'm by no means the first or only, but I'm not going to tolerate it. We are all adults, some of us just haven't figured out how to act like to yet. Civil conversation isn't hard, well again for some of us it is apparently.

burnttoast likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page