Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Wow. That is terrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I noticed your Renegade is not a trailhawk, therefore didn't come with the red tow hooks... So, the one you used was probably a screw in type, used mainly for loading the jeep onto tow trucks when disabled. Did you read the owners manual regarding tow-hooks? Even if say you did have the TH red tow hooks here is what the manual says...

"NOTE: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimize the risk of damage to the vehicle."
Found on Page 505 -IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Just saying, you'll have a hard time getting a warranty repair when it was most likely user error. The photo did show most damage on the passenger side, the side where the bolt on hooks goes.

Last edited by jeepBuddy; 10-23-2016 at 03:33 PM.
post #13 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
That makes me much less inclined to use the tow hook. I'm sorry to see your Jeep in that condition.😢😭😭😭

post #14 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepBuddy View Post
I noticed your Renegade is not a trailhawk, therefore didn't come with the red tow hooks... So, the one you used was probably a screw in type, used mainly for loading the jeep onto tow trucks when disabled. Did you read the owners manual regarding tow-hooks? Even if say you did have the TH red tow hooks here is what the manual says...

"NOTE: For off-road recovery, it is recommended to use both of the front tow hooks to minimize the risk of damage to the vehicle."
Found on Page 505 -IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Just saying, you'll have a hard time getting a warranty repair when it was most likely user error. The photo did show most damage on the passenger side, the side where the bolt on hooks goes.
This is partially correct, but a Non-Trailhawk only has 1 recovery point on the front. Same with the rear, just 1.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #15 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:28 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Looks like MIG welded aluminum, so yeah, the welds will break before the metal. Happens sometimes with steel also.

Gonna have to look. I thought those hooks were supposed to thread into the sub frame, as in the welded steel structure.
post #16 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Nope, bumper video if it'll post.

https://youtu.be/ePYXczMldQ4

post #17 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM

First Name: Steve
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Garage
the threaded tow which is a screw in , only goes to the aluminum mounts which bolt into the frame - if ya had a bull bar you prob could have linked up to that - as that bolts directly into the frame ontop of the aluminum - iv noticed those welds dont look great when i was checking out the bull bar location mounts
u can see the aluminum mounts to the frame with bolts - then its welded sort of in the corners it looks like , then that mounts to the bumper which has the threaded hole for a hook.. it does not look so strong if u ask me . at least a bull bar mounts direct to the upper bolt on the aluminum and the lower bolt mounts to the lower bolt in the photo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM

So you were only getting it towed because the clutch burnt out? Which is the worse failure?
post #19 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

It's TIG welded, but no heat behind it. It's absurd, but it's going to FCA and they're gonna fix it.

We'll see how they approach it this week, guess it depends on how they deal with this disaster. I can't believe they used this setup as a bumper. A 5mph wreck would have destroyed this.

post #20 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
That's sad.

Yeah fuel economy.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page