5Likes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

First Name: Daniel
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Cool Renegade in the Snow

Hi guys!

Still new to this forum, but Massachusetts happened to have a snowstorm almost a week after I bought my Renegade, so I thought I would share my experience.

I absolutely loved it. Having come from driving FWD economy sedans, the thought of running snow drifts through parking lots in whiteout conditions without worrying that I would lose traction and crash is electrifying. I loved the fact that I was able to make it to my local supermarket, in the middle of the snowstorm, perfectly fine! I went through multiple high snow banks, no problems, and dealt with unplowed roads with many inches of snow, no problem! I also made it up a huge hill in my small town, and had the many people clearing their driveways in shock!

I made the right decision, buying a Jeep. I love my Rene. I have now named her Stella, after the snowstorm she was inaugurated in.
dgr401, elf883 and Scott P like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 10:37 AM

First Name: J
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahhdj View Post
Hi guys!

Still new to this forum, but Massachusetts happened to have a snowstorm almost a week after I bought my Renegade, so I thought I would share my experience.

I absolutely loved it. Having come from driving FWD economy sedans, the thought of running snow drifts through parking lots in whiteout conditions without worrying that I would lose traction and crash is electrifying. I loved the fact that I was able to make it to my local supermarket, in the middle of the snowstorm, perfectly fine! I went through multiple high snow banks, no problems, and dealt with unplowed roads with many inches of snow, no problem! I also made it up a huge hill in my small town, and had the many people clearing their driveways in shock!

I made the right decision, buying a Jeep. I love my Rene. I have now named her Stella, after the snowstorm she was inaugurated in.
Heya! you are gonna love going through the snow with the Renegade. I went down route 2 in the last two nor'easters from Boston to North Central MA. Great vehicle for it. I am planning on getting better tires for the snow for next year as the stock tires are junk.

It is also great for getting through the puddles on Storrow and Memorial drive and the mess that is Chelsea and Everett!

2016 Renegade Sport 4x4 1.4T Manual
Madness Maxpower ECM
GFB DV+
K&N Filter
Magnaflow 2.5" resonator back exhaust with 4" round muffler
LED lights where possible
DIY short ram intake
DIY oil catch can
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistahhdj View Post
Glad you're happy with your Rennie.

I have a fair bit of experience driving in snow, in many different vehicles--including FWD economy sedans. The Renegade is a big step up from those, at least in terms of traction! Most important is good snow tires (preferably dedicated snow tires that you change out for the summer, probably overkill unless you live in snow country though). Good tires can make a mediocre vehicle great in the snow, and vice versa.

Keep in mind, though, that while 4X4 lets you GO in the snow, it doesn't make you STOP any better. It's really common, in snow country, to see lots of 4X4s in the ditches...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

First Name: Daniel
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Glad you're happy with your Rennie.

I have a fair bit of experience driving in snow, in many different vehicles--including FWD economy sedans. The Renegade is a big step up from those, at least in terms of traction! Most important is good snow tires (preferably dedicated snow tires that you change out for the summer, probably overkill unless you live in snow country though). Good tires can make a mediocre vehicle great in the snow, and vice versa.

Keep in mind, though, that while 4X4 lets you GO in the snow, it doesn't make you STOP any better. It's really common, in snow country, to see lots of 4X4s in the ditches...
I completely get that, it is all too often I am going a reasonable speed on the highway or something and someone in an SUV goes by you doing something over the speed limit. I was reasonable, and it was so much better than even I expected at going through the snow, getting over or around obstacles, and performing snow drifts in the local grocery store parking lot.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As a life long Alaskan I can say the Renegade does amazing in the snow. It's got the ground clearance, stability, traction, everything you need to be a great winter driver. There was a period of two weeks when mine was in the shop because I was able to stop slowly and safely and the car behind me wasn't. For those two weeks I had a 2016 VolksWagon Jetta and missed my Jeep sorely as we were dumped on several times.
mistahhdj likes this.

2015 Renegade
Latitude 4x4
1.4L Turbo
Manual 6 Speed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:53 PM

First Name: Steve
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Garage
its a tank if driven correct !! enjoy the snow while it lasts lol i know i did
mistahhdj likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Jeep Renegade Latitude 4x4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
There's one thing I don't like about my trailhawk in the snow. All my skid plates filled with snow and then froze. Man did that sound broken until it thawed. Even caused the traction control to flip out.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raz-0 View Post
There's one thing I don't like about my trailhawk in the snow. All my skid plates filled with snow and then froze. Man did that sound broken until it thawed. Even caused the traction control to flip out.
Same issue here. Wife said vehicle was making a strange noise. Looked under and a huge chunk of ice was wedged under a plate in the center. Not sure if it is a skid plate, but the exhaust and the drive shaft run through it.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Funny, just posted same thing on the problems section. Frozen block in the skid plate. Would mudflaps help to divert?

Rhythmic clunk bang when driving (not the rear differential hum)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 PM

First Name: Jim
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Glad to hear the Renegade does well in the snow. I was super-stoked to take it out and have some fun in the snow, but we had the mildest winter ever here. Almost no snow. So bummed! Buying my Jeep was like carrying an umbrella - totally kept the weather away. Maybe next winter...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Renegade Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page