Jeep Renegade Forum banner

2016 Beats Audio Disappointment THREAD [Update to fix now available]

209K views 438 replies 103 participants last post by  LiL Pig 
#1 ·
Quick question about the front door speakers...

Does anyone know if the front door speakers are strictly for bass or are they supposed to sound like the rear door speakers and give a crisp, clear sound? I'm only getting bass out of mine. It almost sounds muffled.

Thanks in advance!

#380 ·
Funny I came across this thread, I was also a little let down from ours that we just picked up 5 days ago. I'll have to dig into this.

#384 · (Edited)
Well I for 1 like real crisp clear powerful music when i drive. My 2015 limited renegade sounded good for one week and the passenger door speaker blew. So i didn't even trust them to "FIX" it. I just ordered some MB Quarts 6 by 9s for all the doors. Then since they didn't give me a spare tire i got two 8 inch Massive Summo 84's 600 watts each with a 1200 watt D cycle amp. about as big as a 8 inch piece of 2 by 4, ran the wires built the box to fit in the spare hole with plenty of space for my air pump or what ever that thing is they gave me for "emergencies" it sounds like a concert hall. i like all kinds of music and from classical to korn it makes the ride anywhere great. highly recommend it or similar no loss of space.

will have pic up soon if anyone wants to see.

#388 ·
How'd it go? How do you know if yours needs to be updated? I just got my 75th this week and it sounds fine, but I don't know if it's just because the sound system is better than what I'm used to or if it's been updated. Was it extremely noticeable that yours hadn't been updated?

#391 ·
I did not enjoy the sound of my 2015 TH 6 speaker system. I put 3.5 inch Infinities in the dash and 6x9 Alpines in all 4 doors. I am waiting for my Kenwood headunit and then I will put in a real sub in the trunk area not sure about an 8" vs a 12". I have an Alpine mono amp to power the sub. I will keep you posted.

PS I only broke 2 panel clips. It took about 30 minutes a speaker average. the hardest part was popping the door handle inner covers. I was afraid to use too much force but if you took a 45 degree plastic tool and got it just under the handle/lock and pried outward she would pop out.

#394 ·
help with beats audio please

uconnect site says im updated and I don't think so my beats audio does not sound as good as I think it should dealer did an update and nothing but they are getting me back in to try something else rear doors are almost non existant sub doesn't sound very good the fronts are ok though?????????

#398 ·
To make this quite clear, the update that fixes the radio problem is NOT to the UConnect software, so you cannot do it yourself. It is to the 'AMP' software module, which controls the audio amplifier(radio, media player, etc).

The update takes AMP to F2.08.00 (typically from F2.07.00).

It is covered by Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 08-065-16.

My symptoms were -
  • Poor sound quality, especially lacking bass tones.
  • Door speakers and sub-woofer low volume.
  • Equalisation (tone) controls virtually ineffective.

Quote these revision numbers and the TSB number to your dealer.

#399 ·
I just bought a 2016 75th anniversary edition and noticed the audio system right away. I was so excited about the Dre Beats audio but was sooooooooo disappointed with the sound. Can barely hear it at 10, 20 is too low and 38 (max volume) is all coming from the front. I tried tweaking it and still no improvement. I pray that I can get this TSB. Music is important when I am driving! My pontiac G5 had a better sound system... lol

#400 ·
My beats are still not beating

need some more suggestions dealer told me they checked and did all available updates and my stereo doesn't sound any better they claimed to have even done the amp flash 08-065-16 and nothing rear doors and sub are very weak could amp be wired wrong but that would not explain the poor sound from rear 6x9s What do I do I want my beats to beat

#403 ·
New member here. I just bought a used 2016 Jeep Renegade Justice Edition, pretty low mileage at 8k. Love the vehicle, hate the Beats Audio Sound System. I've been trying to read through every post on this thread, and I'm not 100% sure if I am experiencing the same problem as what people are describing. Everything sounds pretty good to me, besides the subwoofer in the trunk...sounds completely awful on most songs. I made a video (link below), and the audio from the video sounds very close to what I am hearing. This is at volumes in the high teens, and it's still not even that loud. Sounds to me like there is an issue with the frequencies. I need to go back to the dealer for other issues. Does this sound like an issue that some of you were having? I want to know if it is worth mentioning to the dealer or if I am wasting my time with them.

This is my first post, so unfortunately I can't post links. Paste this at the end of youtube.com: /watch?v=z1Yz7YPdzqg

Thanks in advance for your feedback! I'm really motivated to get this fixed.

#404 ·
Take it back to the dealer and have them look at it. Also print out the TSB in this thread and see if it applies to you or see if there is an update for the amp.

Unfortunatly updates for the uconnect is going to be pushed over the air now and the first one will take 60-70 minutes to install. It will be label version 17.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#408 ·
That is all there is on the OEM Beats amp...Teb/Mid/Bas.

The system is really a big joke and then add all the cabin noise that kills the rest of the audio system. $700 to hear two dash speakers and if I disconnect a speaker a light and message on the cluster comes on....thanks Jeep/Fiat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#410 ·
To me it's sort of been common knowledge for at least 50 years that aftermarket speakers at least, but even amps and head units in some cases far surpass factory equipment and are often competitively priced.

I've not yet made my mind up in upgrading the Beats. I've never expected premium systems form car companies because they are car companies not audio companies... I also expect that it's quite a subjective measure, people who care about premium sound can debate endlessly on what's best, do it's hard to Kae an objectively GREAT example for the masses because making anything for the masses is quite difficult.

Other options aside, I would have bought a vehicle with all the features I wanted and NO radio or speakers. But stuff just doesn't work out that way, the beats came in the total package I wanted so I'm living with them for now, if it becomes a major annoyance in the future it's not too much expense to begin making improvements...

#411 ·
So the latest update is NUMBER: 08-065-16 REV. A

I am going to make an appointment to see if it could be applied to my vehicle, but I was thinking more about the subwoofer and what the cause might be. I'm listening to MP3s from a 32GB USB drive. Would the conversion of audio between the USB and UConnect cause an issue with the quality? I don't seem to have a lot of issues while listening to SiriusXM, so it was just a thought.

#415 ·
My experience so far with the Beats audio: regular rock/alternative/classic rock.... kinda blah and nothing really spectacular. Turn on to the HipHop SXM channel or new Pop station..... and everything wakes up, rattles the windows and just pumps. That damn 24k Gold song from whats-his-face almost gives you the brown note. Its definitely tuned acoustically for that crap... er I mean.... music. lol. They are recording music with more bass dynamics in the studios and more clearer audio all the way around. Our Kia Koup audio system is pretty awesome.... but when I drive that car now, it sounds kinda blah as well now. I would say the Beats is a better sound system than it. I guess in a automobile situation, its hard to get the perfect audio system. Too many variables with the shape of the interior, materials of the seats, roof, dash, and position of the speakers, etc. Thats why the difference sound quality between models/auto manufacturers. Just my 2 cents. But it would help if Jeep would give us more sound options and EQ control.

#417 ·
I don't know what version of firmware or upgrade I have, or know how to check. But I recently bought a 2016 DoJ edition with Beats, the dealership flashed and updated everything before delivery. The beats audio is quite good, volume comes on as a whisper at 2-3 on the volume knob and at 25 it's pretty damn loud. bass from the sub is boomy and thumpy, mids seem quite good also.

I did replace the OEM dash with infinity reference 3.5" but that's the only change i made. There's plenty of room on the volume for more loudness but at 22-25 it's plenty loud for me. Highs are crisp and clean with the infinity reference. I have the bass back off to -4 on the simple equalizer as it's sometimes too much bass depending on what I'm listening to - everything from blues to pop, edm, reggae, classic rock, hip hop and rap.

I'm not considering any other updates at this time, everything sounds quite good.

#419 ·
What made you go with the infinity reference? I'm thinking about changing mine out as well. Did you use bass blockers with them? I've been researching and lots of people seem to be changing the dash speakers out. Sounds like it's worth it. Is it just a matter of getting crisper highs with the upgrade? Did you need to turn the treble down after changing out? Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.