Jeep Renegade Forum banner

Interior Cabin Filter

44K views 51 replies 31 participants last post by  bfloyd4445 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if any of the Renegades come with an interior cabin filter? I've tried looking in my manual and online and can't find anything on this subject.

#20 ·
and, speaking as a Wrangler owner - plastic...lots and lots of plastic...

#8 · (Edited)
I believe it's behind the glove box. That said, I cannot figure out how to remove the glove box.
Found some you tubes on other Jeep models but it doesn't come out of the Renegade like it does
on a Cherokee for example.

Since the above link doesn't work, does anyone else know for sure where the filter is? If under the
glove box how is the glove box removed? It was simple to remove on the Honda Fit I just sold.

A dealer is probably going to charge over $100 to change it.

Clifton

#23 ·
Do you have a part# or a link?

I notice the factory-filter doesn't really seem to do much. I fired up the A/C yesterday while were stuck in traffic. The person in front of us fired up a smoke and it was like he was smoking in the car with me. Being an X-smoker I think I'm more sensitive than most, but the cabin filter didn't do a thing to clean up things a little bit. Had to Fe'breeze things when we got home.

I need a cabin filter that does a better job, for sure.

#52 ·
You only need to change it if you start getting sterange oders in the cab. The carbon in the filter knocks that out untill it becomes saturated. Unless you dirve on lots of dirt roads which will require more frequent changes because of the increased particulate matter in the air. You can stop much of this by running the cabin cirulate function which circulates caben air without additional dirty outside air

#19 ·
I had a '97 Honda CRV (my son has it now). That cabin air filter required removing the glove box, side panel, and a steel bar with 4 bolts and two screws that were nearly impossible to reach. The three that fixed the left side of this bar required contorting your hand while using a small socket and screw driver (different fasteners). Then you can open the plastic enclosure and change the air filter; that is after you force a large, stubborn wire harness out of the way. Minimum time required is at least 30 minutes (with practice).

Why oh why do auto manufacturers make cabin air filters this way.

On both my Challengers, I open the hood, snap open the cover, and remove the filter. A 30 second job with no tools needed.

I change my cabin air filters every three years or 30,000 miles.

#28 ·
I posted a proper walkthrough here https://youtu.be/Pd1A703Vr90
Thanks. I fired it up and thought wow, he changed it in a minute!! Until I saw you shot it after taking everything apart. Had hoped a proper walk through might show the steps as they were performed, but should be good enough for most.

I too am not happy with how complicated manufacturers make it for something they recommend to be done once a year.

#30 ·
On our Honda Fit, we lower the glove box past the stops and then pull out a drawer that holds the cabin filter, no tools. So it could be better.

#31 ·
#36 ·
My dad told me the same thing when I asked him to help me change mine this weekend, he thought I was crazy. But when we pulled it out it was black and had leaf particles, etc. I've had my car a year with 7,000 miles. He then proceeded to laugh and said "well maybe I should see if my truck has one!" It's a 2006, Low and behold his glove box has a sticker that says this vehicular is equipped with a cabin air filter and recommended changing is every year or 15,000 miles.

#37 ·
Changed the cabin filter Saturday. Took about 20 minutes (wasn't trying to set any speed records). Used a 3in wide plastic putty blade to work the end cap off. Torx bit for the rest of the fasteners.

#38 · (Edited)
Just changed mine too. 1 year/22k miles. Black and lots of tree schnitzel. Unfortunately, when you pull out the filter, the schnitzel crap gets scraped off so be careful. I had to vacuum the fan below of the junk that fell into it. Glad I'm not breathing that crap in now.

I wonder whats under the front cowl? Crap collecting causing rust? Time to get some tools out.

#44 ·
I changed mine today, wasn't bad at all. It took about 20-25 minutes and I wasn't moving quick at all. I figure now that I've done it once, the next time it should only take 10-15 minutes.

I have had the Jeep since Feb 2016 and have just over 15,000 miles now. It was pretty dirty and there was some sticker that was stuck on the top of it when I pulled it out

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.